Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #29
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Not long ago there were threads after threads begging for GM to build a bad ass / kick ass , mustang eater , spitting fire , etc etc ,Z28
Well , GM did just that, and now that the cars are coming and so are the numbers attach to the right side window , people are complaining about just about anything
I I'm not the one that is going to get one ate any cost
If anyone wants to get really fast on any car , specially the heavier cars , they also need to have top of the line brakes , or else , and top grade suspension system , and all of that cost more money than the ones with less power&/ weight
So if one wants to play ( safer) will have to pay
Like someone have said before , this car isn't for everyone , it's for the ones that really enjoy that kind of fun driving machine that do make the little kids say , when I grow up , I will have one like that , only faster

Let's just hope that it still be available by then .

This may be the last Z
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #30
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I'm a ZL1 owner and I love what the Z/28 has become again. A dedicated track terror without comprise.

You want a Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde type car with dual personality then the ZL1 is your car but if you want a straight up beast like a Tasmanian Devil of track car that's just legal for the street then the Z/28 is your baby.

If I had the coin I would definitely have one also for sure.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #31
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Guys this was not to start the price war, it was to show how $75K is not out or site for a car that will only go for 2 years and less then 3K cars will be built, I remember the first Camaro my mom got in 1970 it was 3K + and the big dog was close to 5K man that where the day, now its all getting close to 100K for a good car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
Octaneman

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Guys this was not to start the price war, it was to show how $75K is not out or site for a car that will only go for 2 years and less then 3K cars will be built, I remember the first Camaro my mom got in 1970 it was 3K + and the big dog was close to 5K man that where the day, now its all getting close to 100K for a good car.

"Price is only an objection if there is a lack of perceived Value"

To me, its all relative, given fair comparisons, the car has great value.

Steve

BTW. I also have a Z/28 on order
Octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #33
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
"Not long ago there were threads after threads begging for GM to build a bad ass / kick ass , mustang eater , spitting fire , etc etc ,Z28
Well , GM did just that, and now that the cars are coming and so are the numbers attach to the right side window , people are complaining about just about anything"

Yep Oldfriend, I remember it the same way. People glorified the original Z/28 as a track car far more than it ever truly was in the 60's. Now those same people are saying it cost too much. Chevy should have just went with the 1LE and added a cold air intake, higher lift cam with CNC'd heads. That would have given us a 485 hp Boss killer for about $48,000 that would be a huge market success.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
"Not long ago there were threads after threads begging for GM to build a bad ass / kick ass , mustang eater , spitting fire , etc etc ,Z28
Well , GM did just that, and now that the cars are coming and so are the numbers attach to the right side window , people are complaining about just about anything"

Yep Oldfriend, I remember it the same way. People glorified the original Z/28 as a track car far more than it ever truly was in the 60's. Now those same people are saying it cost too much. Chevy should have just went with the 1LE and added a cold air intake, higher lift cam with CNC'd heads. That would have given us a 485 hp Boss killer for about $48,000 that would be a huge market success.
The only issue with that is a modified LS3 with a bigger cam to make that kind of power probably wouldn't pass smog in every state. Not to mention having to re-certify the engine and make sure it meets all of GMs durability standards.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #35
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Don't get me wrong this car is sick and I would love to have it.. But, This car is said to be track ready, etc. I know it has the LS7 and has some better performance parts etc. compared to the ZL1. The ZL1 ran a 7:41 at the nurburgring track and the Z28 ran a 7:37.43 or something like that. Is 20k really worth 3.5 seconds? I am not an expert when it comes to lap times, I know that 3.5 seconds is a lot in a quarter-mile but is that enough to spend 20k extra plus higher insurance etc? I guess it would be great for people who take the track seriously but if you just want a daily driver that you can take to the track on the weekends and just have something with power I'd say get a ZL1 or a 1LE. Just my opinion so don't attack me LOL
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #36
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
Don't get me wrong this car is sick and I would love to have it.. But, This car is said to be track ready, etc. I know it has the LS7 and has some better performance parts etc. compared to the ZL1. The ZL1 ran a 7:41 at the nurburgring track and the Z28 ran a 7:37.43 or something like that. Is 20k really worth 3.5 seconds? I am not an expert when it comes to lap times, I know that 3.5 seconds is a lot in a quarter-mile but is that enough to spend 20k extra plus higher insurance etc? I guess it would be great for people who take the track seriously but if you just want a daily driver that you can take to the track on the weekends and just have something with power I'd say get a ZL1 or a 1LE. Just my opinion so don't attack me LOL
The whole Z/28 vs ZL1 Nurburgring has been hashed out so many times but the fact is the ZL1 ran in optimal conditions and the Z/28 didn't. Run the Z/28 on a day like the ZL1 ran it's time and Chevy said it would run near 7:30.

GM from day one has said this is not a daily driver so that point is moot.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I cried. I whined. I pouted. In the end, I see it. It's worth it. Should it have been like this? Hell no. Is it worthy? Yes. Will they blend together the ZL1 and the Z/28 in the next generation, yes. Will it be any less affordable, who the heck knows. But the Z/28 will live on before the ZL1 does, thats a sure bet. And the price of 8 cyl high performance going forward will be more premium than ever before. No doudt.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #38
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Not sure about ZL guys hating on the Z28 because from what most of us paid for our ZLs I would think we, as a group, would appreciate the Z28 more than most. It's an awesome package and I think it's priced right. Hell, go price out a loaded diesel 4X4 pick up truck and see what it costs, and it's a pick up truck for hay and cow sh!t. JMHO...

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
It's a show piece. It's all they could have done, using the architecture, and available powerplants. New technology, incorporated with PTM. It's chic, it's cool, it's limited for the first year. Guys posted about the line being shut down for other Camaro's,...yeeah, that's cause they are making this. Next year will be a full run for all. More to come for those left out in the cold for the first year. This first production half year, a scantilly clad allocation. But....come one, come all...step right up. If you can afford it..grab it. I had a slot but...MSRP rules the day.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #40
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I think the bigger question here is who in the hell is paying 70K for a freaking Tahoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, you can option a Tahoe to a MSRP of 70K???/ That's insane.

I knew half ton trucks could get pricey when you tick all the option boxes, but a tahoe thats 70K that is just madness to me.

back on the Z/28 you can't argue performance to dollar for the Z/28, BUT I would not pay 75K for a Camaro. I don't care how fast it is, how rare it is, how bad ass it is. If I am spending that kind of money on a car, I am getting a Corvette.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #41
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Love the package and that GM engineered such a beast into my beloved Camaro, but it's a bit too rich for my blood. For street use and my needs, I would rather transform a ZL1. But those with money will love the package no question!

75K+ exotic , as Shaffe stated I'd prolly start looking into a Vette
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #42
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
You know, a 75k camaro is more believable than a 70k Tahoe to me. I still can't get over that...
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote