Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #57
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Z51 C7 $55k
+ supercharger $9k

superior performance for under $65k

yea, to me the Z28 is too much money for what you get. I really don't see why GM needs 2 high performance camaros. Even Ford dropped the Boss 302. GM probably sees it as free advertising to keep Camaro fresh in everybody's minds... which isn't a bad thing. It's 55 lbs lighter than a 1LE. Seriously... this is the best you could do with $35k???

For $75k, why not give the Z28 a new carbon hood? That's probably 50 lbs right there. I can barely tell the difference between it and all the other models. Why not offer that pearl white paint on the show car? They should have offered some more visual differences for the money. The upcoming Z06 Corvette stands out as being very different than the standard C7... I would want something similar for the money. Are people really gonna go beat on their new Z28??
The BOSS 302 was always going to be just a 2 year run from the start though. Thats how ford does their "limited edition" models. And I also believe part of the reasoning on the 302 was that because the original was only around for 2 years 69 and 70

08/09 Bullitt
12-13 Boss
03/04 Mach 1
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #58
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Z51 C7 $55k
+ supercharger $9k

yea, to me the Z28 is too much money for what you get. I really don't see why GM needs 2 high performance camaros. Even Ford dropped the Boss 302. GM probably sees it as free advertising to keep Camaro fresh in everybody's minds... which isn't a bad thing. It's 55 lbs lighter than a 1LE. Seriously... this is the best you could do with $35k???

For $75k, why not give the Z28 a new carbon hood? That's probably 50 lbs right there. I can barely tell the difference between it and all the other models. Why not offer that pearl white paint on the show car? They should have offered some more visual differences for the money. The upcoming Z06 Corvette stands out as being very different than the standard C7... I would want something similar for the money. Are people really gonna go beat on their new Z28??
I appreciate your position on price. But I make a distinction between getting ripped-off and paying too much.

While I personally do not think $75,000 is too much to pay for the Z/28 in relation to what you get, my point is that as long as I am not being ripped-off, I don't mind paying more for something I want that puts a smile on my face. Money to me only becomes an issue if you don't have any, or enough, to live free.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #59
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
I appreciate your position on price. But I make a distinction between getting ripped-off and paying too much.

While I personally do not think $75,000 is too much to pay for the Z/28 in relation to what you get, my point is that as long as I am not being ripped-off, I don't mind paying more for something I want that puts a smile on my face. Money to me only becomes an issue if you don't have any, or enough, to live free.
100% agree! Ppl wants to say its still a just camaro. Then why would they buy the camaro if it's still a camaro? ?? I mean that's wasting money! I bet those ppl don't treat their camaro like it's just a camaro ! though ! But they have the nerves to say it's too much because it's still a camaro. What? ???
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #60
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Z51 C7 $55k
+ supercharger $9k

The Camaro has an aluminum hood and trunk lid (2014). A CF hood would save only a few pounds if that.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #61
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Z51 C7 $55k
+ supercharger $9k

...scuttlebutt is Chevy won't carry both Camaro's either as with the C7 'Vette. Look for them to combine the two into one, just like they are dropping the ZR1 and carrying one HP model forward with options. The Z06 with optional Z07 package will follow into the new Camaro line some how, some way. There is no way the Z/28 name will die. Bet your life on it.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #62
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...scuttlebutt is Chevy won't carry both Camaro's either as with the C7 'Vette. Look for them to combine the two into one, just like they are dropping the ZR1 and carrying one HP model forward with options. The Z06 with optional Z07 package will follow into the new Camaro line some how, some way. There is no way the Z/28 name will die. Bet your life on it.
I agree with this. I honestly do see them combining the Z/28 and ZL-1 in some way making it an option for possibly track oriented or straight line driving. Definitely Z/28 won't die. I think it'll be a little watered down from a '14/'15, but who knows? They could make it even lighter than a reg SS alpha platformed camaro that would kill this Z/28. But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #63
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
75K is a big nut to swallow, I have to wonder with ZL1s now well under the 55k mark how would one compete with the Z28 if it also had the track tires the Z is blessed with?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #64
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The only issue with that is a modified LS3 with a bigger cam to make that kind of power probably wouldn't pass smog in every state. Not to mention having to re-certify the engine and make sure it meets all of GMs durability standards.
Your are right, but if Ford could pull it off with the 5.0, Chevy could do it with the LS3. These are the engine changes made by Ford for the Boss engine:

-Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
-Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
-New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
-Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
-Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
-Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
-5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
-Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

Ford got these changes through the process, recertified and produced a track worthy Boss 302 for around $47,000. I would have been a buyer for a $47,000 Z28, but not at $75,000.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #65
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Your are right, but if Ford could pull it off with the 5.0, Chevy could do it with the LS3. These are the engine changes made by Ford for the Boss engine:

-Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing
-Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds
-New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
-Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline
-Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability
-5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions
-Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

Ford got these changes through the process, recertified and produced a track worthy Boss 302 for around $47,000. I would have been a buyer for a $47,000 Z28, but not at $75,000.
I agree with what youve said above. Understand Chevy "could've" produced a cheaper Z/28 without a doubt in anyones mind. Their intent was to build a car that was not only track reliable/ consistent, but also to be one of the top contenders there. If you took away the recaros, and the brake system as well as the suspension? It would be there. But they chose the options to produce the best bang for the buck approach and nailed it. The LS7 engine alone wouldve brought the price to $47-50k. A 302 Boss cant hold a candle to this car around a track for its approx. $47k price tag. Correct? There's your answer. Remember, Chevy's intent was not JUST to beat the 302 Boss around a track. It was to beat MANY diff. models around the track.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #66
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post

Did you forget that Chevy not only built a Camaro that put the Boss 302 to shame, made it more streetable, trackable, and less expensive? It's called a Camaro 1LE!!! Chevy takes the streetable track car to a totally new level with the Z28 and doubtful Ford will be able to reciprocate with anything costing only $75K.

The best they could do was to put a 662 hp GT500 embarrassment in their stable, a one trick pony, in an attempt to outshine the ZL1. In the Shelby, you got only an upgraded engine and the cost of it was not a whole lot less than the Z28.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #67
Cuda7050

No I didn't forget the 1LE, if you read the whole thread you will see I specifically mentioned the 1LE.

I guess we have a diference of opinion on the matter "Is $75,000 to much?".

Last edited by Cuda7050; 02-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #68
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Simple answer...yes
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #69
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Simple answer...yes
Not for what youre getting. Its actually a bargain. Would I buy one? No. Its out of my reach. I'd have preferred to buy a camaro with N/A 500HP for $50k without all the exotic parts installed and they couldve stripped amenities.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #70
Cuda7050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree with what youve said above. Understand Chevy "could've" produced a cheaper Z/28 without a doubt in anyones mind. Their intent was to build a car that was not only track reliable/ consistent, but also to be one of the top contenders there. If you took away the recaros, and the brake system as well as the suspension? It would be there. But they chose the options to produce the best bang for the buck approach and nailed it. The LS7 engine alone wouldve brought the price to $47-50k. A 302 Boss cant hold a candle to this car around a track for its approx. $47k price tag. Correct? There's your answer. Remember, Chevy's intent was not JUST to beat the 302 Boss around a track. It was to beat MANY diff. models around the track.

I get that the Z28 peformance is aimed at the the 911, Amg etc. But my feeling is that the Camaro has always been an affordable performance car for the average working man. The $75,000 Z28 is a departure from this philosophy. The Corvette is the car that should, and does compete with the high end sports cars that cost $75,000 and up.

The original thread topic "Is $75,000 to much". To that my answer remains yes it is to much for a Z28. But their is no denying it is still a get value and chevy did an incredible job of producing a fantastic version of our beloved camaro that indeed competes well against all challengeers.