Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #57
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
You could also say, if you're smart enough, you don't need it.
indeed, but unfortunately GM thinks we are not smart enough to know how to drive without it either

quite the conundrum
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #58
Subperfect

Drives: 16 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
I've never understood the need. A manual on a hill really doesn't take skill, just fearlessness. Well, that and being familiar with where it's going to grab. Never was something I even worried about until a UK friend mentioned they still had to demonstrate use of the parking brake for assist on hills. I was all "whhaaaaa?"

I'd love remote start on the manual, but that would mean trusting the electric parking brake completely. Not sure I would.

obviously you never been where there is a strong commute and hills galore, anyone from San Francisco or bay area would faceplam at this "A manual on a hill really doesn't take skill, just fearlessness" I like the feature it will help from rolling back into someone who just thinks riding your back bumper is the way to make them go faster.
Subperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #59
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subperfect View Post
obviously you never been where there is a strong commute and hills galore, anyone from San Francisco or bay area would faceplam at this "A manual on a hill really doesn't take skill, just fearlessness" I like the feature it will help from rolling back into someone who just thinks riding your back bumper is the way to make them go faster.
I wonder how people ever drove 30 years ago..... Oh wait. No I don't.

Yeah it takes skill. Skill takes practice. Or we can just keep throwing technology at the problem till driverless cars arrive.

...back on point. Remote start manual is possible but that's 20 more things to go wrong.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #60
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
An upgraded CAGS system with neutral lock out could be setup to block out individual gears. It could be set to lock out 1st gear at speeds over 42mph, 2nd at speeds over 65mph, 3rd at 93 and 4th over 113. Yes it could also potentially fail and lock you out of gears that are desired, but I see that being about as likely as the current system permanently locking you out of 2nd gear at all times. I've never heard of it happening.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4

An CAGS system like that would both allow for a neutral lock out for a remote start and prevent engine over rev from happening EVER
You know, I purchased a manual transmission to specifically avoid Computer Aided Gear Selection. I want to select my own gears. Many others do. It's why our first mod is to disable CAGS.

I'm OK with not having it both ways.

I imagine rigging this system would generate more complaints than it's worth, plus the added costs. The price jump from 5th Gen to 6th Gen is already huge. If GM adds even more to the cost at the expense of autonomy...
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #61
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
You know, I purchased a manual transmission to specifically avoid Computer Aided Gear Selection. I want to select my own gears. Many others do. It's why our first mod is to disable CAGS.

I'm OK with not having it both ways.

I imagine rigging this system would generate more complaints than it's worth, plus the added costs. The price jump from 5th Gen to 6th Gen is already huge. If GM adds even more to the cost at the expense of autonomy...
I think you missed my point. the only thing that would change is it would prevent you from downshifting and exceeding the engines max RPM. You would never feel it working unless you had an accidental down shift where you meant to up shift. Say full RPM shift from 3rd to 4th, but you accidentally grab 2nd. in the new SS that would peg the engine at about 8,500 RPM approximately 2,000 past redline! I don't care how good a driver you think you are, we have all missed a shift before.

This system would not disrupt the driving experience at all unless you like to intentionally miss shifts for some reason.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:58 AM   #62
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
I had it on a 2013 6m ss

A friend of mine, who installs alarm systems and remote start systems, installed a remote start on my 2013 6m ss and it was great! Gonna see if he can do it on my new 2016 ss when i get it on tuesday.
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #63
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I remember months back listening to Al O. mention that the electronic parking brake was going to allow for some neat abilities in the future. I don't see why this wouldn't be one of them.
I guess it's not "the future" yet.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #64
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
not if you're smart enough to know how to use it
Whether you like it or not, it is just another middle finger from GM to not make it selectable. We can de-select the other nannies, why not "hill hold"?
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #65
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I just think certain things come with the territory... If remote start is really that important to you, then get an automatic. But if you really enjoy driving a manual, not having remote start will never even concern you!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote