Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
david068513
Z28Kid

Drives: 1992 z28
Camaro SS VS. GXP VS. SRT8...need some help thinking about buying!

Ok so here is my Problem. I Want all Three but Don't know what to get. I love the looks of the SRT8 challenger. Beautiful car. It really is. Camaro 2SS/RS. beautiful car also. I already have a 1992 Z28 350 car and am a huge camaro Fan. GXP G8. Another beautiful car. 6 spd sports sedan but I don't have that many people with me that much so 4 doors doesn't really matter I could always put 2 in the back of a camaro or srt8. Which do you feel is a better car? Please try not to be bisased. It Will be a play toy not a daily also.
david068513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Well, Pontiac is going out of business, so you could get a really good deal with 0% financing on that.
The Challenger looks sick, but it will lose to the other two performance wise.
The SS also looks sick, has the same engine as the GXP, so it comes down to your preferences.
I think GXP is the best bang for buck if you plan on financing, if not, then you should go between the Challenger or the SS, one for looks, the other for some looks and more performance.
BTW, you might consider a 2011 Mustang in about a year? The Coyote engine will have 400hp, it reportedly lapped the Gingerman Raceway in the same time as an M3 with the Ford Track pack.
returnofcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I heard all GXPs have now been sold. Could be wrong- but that's what I heard.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
david068513
Z28Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
Well, Pontiac is going out of business, so you could get a really good deal with 0% financing on that.
The Challenger looks sick, but it will lose to the other two performance wise.
The SS also looks sick, has the same engine as the GXP, so it comes down to your preferences.
I think GXP is the best bang for buck if you plan on financing, if not, then you should go between the Challenger or the SS, one for looks, the other for some looks and more performance.
BTW, you might consider a 2011 Mustang in about a year? The Coyote engine will have 400hp, it reportedly lapped the Gingerman Raceway in the same time as an M3 with the Ford Track pack.
I will be financing most likely. I really like all the cars so its a hard choice. I test drove a GT mustang the other day and really liked it. Nice looks and style. Inside was beautiful but lacked in power compared to the others in my opionon for the price. If that motor comes out ill consider that also. Maybe one day Ill have all 4 locked in my garage for weekend cruises.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
david068513
Z28Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I heard all GXPs have now been sold. Could be wrong- but that's what I heard.
Most likey...I think the pontiac dealer in my town still has ONE. I guess I could find one used...
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
If price is no object, I'd go with the Challenger SRT8. It is bad, beautiful and is the equal of the SS regardless of what you read. In fact, it gets better after about 3000 miles on it. I have an RT with mods (not all listed here but no forced induction) and it will hold its own against a stock SS. Flame away but it's true!

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
david068513
Z28Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rham48 View Post
If price is no object, I'd go with the Challenger SRT8. It is bad, beautiful and is the equal of the SS regardless of what you read. In fact, it gets better after about 3000 miles on it. I have an RT with mods (not all listed here but no forced induction) and it will hold its own against a stock SS. Flame away but it's true!
true. Money is a object though. I'm not just gonna throw money around. I am young but not stupid. I want the best bang for the buck. I love the srt8 though.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
Quote:
Originally Posted by david068513 View Post
true. Money is a object though. I'm not just gonna throw money around. I am young but not stupid. I want the best bang for the buck. I love the srt8 though.
bang for the buck, the SS is the way to go. if you did go with the SRT though, the performance gap isnt so big that a few minor mods would put it out ahead...but that pretty much defeats the "bang for the buck" thing.

so yeah, SS for bang for the buck...
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
OK

After looks, performance, options and all that stuff, the most notable difference between the SRT and SS is interior and trunk room. May not be important to you. I can actually fit five average size bodies in my trunk. The SRT costs more but it's worth it if you can afford it. If you want an "economical" muscle car, the SS will probably be your best choice. The SRT is like the "Cadillac" of muscle cars. I wouldn't buy a G8 - Pontiac's going under, plus I don't think it looks as good as the other two. I see you haven't even mentioned the Mustang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david068513 View Post

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
GEIST LS9
An Evil Automotive Genius

Drives: 2003 Mercury Sable GS
MOPAR is always gonna be expensive either way you look at it but just like the first muscle car era(60-70) These mopars are worth taking a look at for an investment if nothing else.but I'm in the same boat you are in as far as picking I like all 3 choices I don't think you can go wrong here
GEIST LS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
david068513
Z28Kid

That's why I always liked the challenger. I have loved the 70's challenger and cuda since I was little. All cars are a great investment, I agree.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If you can find a G8 GXP, it will most likely become a collectors item. Fastest and most powerful Pontiac in history as I understand it. If you're keeping it as a toy rather than a DD, it will have lower than average miles increasing its eventual resale value. While its a nice looking car, it doesn't stand out from the crowd too much. That might not matter to you, but for some reason I think thats a factor.

Challenger vs Camaro, looks are subjective so that ones up to you. On the one side the Challenger will be a lot less common on the roads but on the other hand, its styling could look dated rather quickly due to its heavy retro design. Its also said to be a better cruiser than the Camaro.

Camaro, if you're not absolutely in love with the styling it doesn't have too much of an advantage over the other two as an occasional car. Performance wise, its a little above the SRT8 and about even with GXP. Its interior is nicer than the Challenger, but either on par with or below the G8. It has the least space of the three but you say thats not really important. It costs less both initially and probably over the long term as well.

I guess it will come down to which character you'd prefer to have:

Challenger: classic muscle car with todays technology
G8 GXP: modern sports sedan that rivals the Germans in many aspects
Camaro SS: aggressive, in-your-face badass car

Which do you want?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
1meanss

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
bang for the buck, the SS is the way to go. if you did go with the SRT though, the performance gap isnt so big that a few minor mods would put it out ahead...but that pretty much defeats the "bang for the buck" thing.

so yeah, SS for bang for the buck...

Both are beautiful cars. Go test drive them and see which one you like the most..
1meanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
david068513
Z28Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If you can find a G8 GXP, it will most likely become a collectors item. Fastest and most powerful Pontiac in history as I understand it. If you're keeping it as a toy rather than a DD, it will have lower than average miles increasing its eventual resale value. While its a nice looking car, it doesn't stand out from the crowd too much. That might not matter to you, but for some reason I think thats a factor.

Challenger vs Camaro, looks are subjective so that ones up to you. On the one side the Challenger will be a lot less common on the roads but on the other hand, its styling could look dated rather quickly due to its heavy retro design. Its also said to be a better cruiser than the Camaro.

Camaro, if you're not absolutely in love with the styling it doesn't have too much of an advantage over the other two as an occasional car. Performance wise, its a little above the SRT8 and about even with GXP. Its interior is nicer than the Challenger, but either on par with or below the G8. It has the least space of the three but you say thats not really important. It costs less both initially and probably over the long term as well.

I guess it will come down to which character you'd prefer to have:

Challenger: classic muscle car with todays technology
G8 GXP: modern sports sedan that rivals the Germans in many aspects
Camaro SS: aggressive, in-your-face badass car

Which do you want?
Thanks, I really like all the cars, Its a hard choice..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanss View Post
Both are beautiful cars. Go test drive them and see which one you like the most..
I have and its hard.