Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Anyone Happen to Notice the OP Disappeared while all you guys were Arguing.

JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #44
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Keep looking then. Kit my friend has on his car has been on for 2 years and not a single issue. Turbos are OEM quality along with cast adapters/etc. No service or special care needed. Plenty of the turbos on the kit are running 200k+ miles without issues.

I know of two locals alone this week that are pulling the magnachargers off to get the rear jackshaft seal/bearing replaced because they failed within 20k.
I didn't say NONE I said most until recently, sure there are some out there that never had an issue but most have had MAJOR issues. I would ask you to compare the numbers sold on a Maggie vs. numbers sold on turbo kits and then compare % of failures/issues....turbo numbers are far less sold and many more issues.
Like I said the new turbo kits are getting the fitments better and less issues. But for the $7500-8500 I'll take a Maggie and 600 rwhp l'll take a Maggie reliability all day long.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #45
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Anyone Happen to Notice the OP Disappeared while all you guys were Arguing.

I did...lol hopefully on the phone with you ordering a Maggie,
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #46
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
What kind of times does your buddy pull with that turbo kit? 60ft?
Street car with street tires. Probably not that good. How a person sets up a car for drag racing will have more effect on that than the choice of power adder.

As for reliability, I know my friends have sold THOUSANDs of turbo kits and rarely if ever have failures that aren't install or abuse issues. There is a reason OEMs and the trucking industry, heavy machinery, etc all use turbos. If they weren't reliable they wouldn't be using them. Comparing a poorly designed kit to an OEM quality kit isn't even worth discusses. That is like comparing a garage built kit car made by a weekend warrior to a new camaro from GM.

My one friend with a maggie has had great luck with his in general but I do remember replacing a belt in my garage because it broke, and that wasn't the first time he had to do that. In order to get it to not slip he has to run it so tight that every few thousand miles the belts let go. For a bolt on and go situation they maybe ok, but like that they only make 490-520rwhp. Start adding all the parts, belt drives, tensioners, spinning them to the moon, etc and the reliability of the whole system goes down hill quickly.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #47
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Ok, you can make 520, now what do you need to make 600? 650? 700? I said 600rwhp, not 520.
My wifes '12 vert made 521 rwhp at 180 miles with just a Maggie, cheap CAI and a custom tune. Once it was broken in and she got use to the power I added long tubes, 3.4 pulley and a ZL1 fuel pump, re-tuned it and it made 591 rwhp in 105 degrees and 91 octane. And the tune is conservative, I will be replacing the CAI with a good quality unit in Dec. and will fine tune it somemore in better weather. It will easily make over 600 rwhp.

$6000.00 Maggie
$1100.00 L/T's
$250.00 ZL1 pump
$60.00 pulley

$7410.00 total and more reliable and drivable.

Quote:
Keep looking then. Kit my friend has on his car has been on for 2 years and not a single issue. Turbos are OEM quality along with cast adapters/etc. No service or special care needed. Plenty of the turbos on the kit are running 200k+ miles without issues.

I know of two locals alone this week that are pulling the magnachargers off to get the rear jackshaft seal/bearing replaced because they failed within 20k.
I've got 4 vehicles with Maggies, 10 & 12 Camaro SS's, 07' Escalade, and '01 Silverado with a combined 262k on them and not a single issue. I have installed over 25 5th Gen Camaro Kits and over 100 Maggies in the last 12 years and none of my installs and tunes have ever had an issue. Magnuson doesn't do a lot of warranty repairs since they don't tend to fail. So I call B.S. on your last paragraph. I am heavily entrenched in the Camaro community here in AZ, and your a recent transplant, I know most of the locals running Maggies, and I get calls from most when they have boosted issues since I also seem to have one of the highest mile C5 Maggie equipped cars.

And I feel this thread has been since you got on it, the Op probably said screw this, and I dont blame him.

Shouldn't you be hanging out on a mustang or vette forum?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #48
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
The OP did the right thing and went Procharger. I'm with unreal though. I'm a centri fan myself but turbo's are awesome.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
The OP did the right thing and went Procharger. I'm with unreal though. I'm a centri fan myself but turbo's are awesome.
I'm not against either, I have a ProCharger on my boat and love it, and for max power, a good twin turbo set up is hard to beat, but on a car that will mainly be a daily driver with a stock bottom end, you cant beat a Maggie. Especially on a heavy car like a Camaro, you need that bottom end power.

I recently did a Procharger on a friends Z06 and I was very impressed, but on all the stock Camaros I've driven the Procharger is lacking a bit to me. Now if you do a bunch of additional mods its a lot better, but just a Maggie is the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #50
Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
My wifes '12 vert made 521 rwhp at 180 miles with just a Maggie, cheap CAI and a custom tune. Once it was broken in and she got use to the power I added long tubes, 3.4 pulley and a ZL1 fuel pump, re-tuned it and it made 591 rwhp in 105 degrees and 91 octane. And the tune is conservative, I will be replacing the CAI with a good quality unit in Dec. and will fine tune it somemore in better weather. It will easily make over 600 rwhp.

$6000.00 Maggie
$1100.00 L/T's
$250.00 ZL1 pump
$60.00 pulley

$7410.00 total and more reliable and drivable.

I've got 4 vehicles with Maggies, 10 & 12 Camaro SS's, 07' Escalade, and '01 Silverado with a combined 262k on them and not a single issue. I have installed over 25 5th Gen Camaro Kits and over 100 Maggies in the last 12 years and none of my installs and tunes have ever had an issue. Magnuson doesn't do a lot of warranty repairs since they don't tend to fail. So I call B.S. on your last paragraph. I am heavily entrenched in the Camaro community here in AZ, and your a recent transplant, I know most of the locals running Maggies, and I get calls from most when they have boosted issues since I also seem to have one of the highest mile C5 Maggie equipped cars.

And I feel this thread has been since you got on it, the Op probably said screw this, and I dont blame him.

Shouldn't you be hanging out on a mustang or vette forum?
Talk to Nic D, his is getting pulled off his G8 to get sent back. My friend Lyle with an SLP585 also is having his pulled and sent back for warranty repair.

Car enthusiast should be able to post where ever they want. This is why the local camaro club is so bad, they are a bunch of elitest stuck up people that drive off the real car enthusiast.

More reliable and more driveable? Says who? Your making stuff up at that point. For $7500 you can have a TT kit that would destroy that maggie car in any speed competition and have plenty of room to grow, more torque, and drives just like stock. Kevin's car made 680rwhp through an auto with no other mods on 91 octane in 110+ heat. I've driven plenty of maggie cars, tuned them. I've also driven a TT car and to say it drives better is the understatement of the year.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #51
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
I'm not against either, I have a ProCharger on my boat and love it, and for max power, a good twin turbo set up is hard to beat, but on a car that will mainly be a daily driver with a stock bottom end, you cant beat a Maggie. Especially on a heavy car like a Camaro, you need that bottom end power.

I recently did a Procharger on a friends Z06 and I was very impressed, but on all the stock Camaros I've driven the Procharger is lacking a bit to me. Now if you do a bunch of additional mods its a lot better, but just a Maggie is the best bang for the buck.
Bunch of additional mods like you have to do to get a Maggie to 600? If it wasn't for the eforce it would be the worst bang for your buck of all of the forced induction options. Also lets not bring up the overblown cliche argument of bottom end power.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #52
Unreal

I never said a maggie is a bad blower. Have $5500 to spend and only want 500rwhp, go for it. Want something to show off at car shows, go for it. What to gain 100rwhp, go for it. They are good blowers, and can be made to perform. They are reliable, they are good, just there are other great options too. If you want to race, there are simply better options. Want 600+hp, better options IMO. Want 800+hp, well, good luck with that and a maggie. 1000hp, better have a lot of n2o.

Even Mr Maggie (Jamie) said he did the maggie because it was all that was out and if he had to start over would probably do something like a Ysi.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #53
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If the TT kit is the greatest thing since sliced bread then while do Maggie's out sell them 500 to 1?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #54
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I never said a maggie is a bad blower. Have $5500 to spend and only want 500rwhp, go for it. Want something to show off at car shows, go for it. What to gain 100rwhp, go for it. They are good blowers, and can be made to perform. They are reliable, they are good, just there are other great options too. If you want to race, there are simply better options. Want 600+hp, better options IMO. Want 800+hp, well, good luck with that and a maggie. 1000hp, better have a lot of n2o.

Even Mr Maggie (Jamie) said he did the maggie because it was all that was out and if he had to start over would probably do something like a Ysi.
My comment purely is in a drag racing respect. But 700 rwhp put of a Maggie is max. That's not debatable. The only limit with TT is your wallet.

I can def see why the Maggie kit is more appealing to most consumers. The aftermarket turbo market has gotten a bad rap over the last 20 years.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #55
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

That's because people are misinformed. Same reason people think nitrous destroys motors when it's the user not knowing what they are doing. Pretty simple really.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #56
urr2slo

Quote:
Talk to Nic D, his is getting pulled off his G8 to get sent back. My friend Lyle with an SLP585 also is having his pulled and sent back for warranty repair.

Car enthusiast should be able to post where ever they want. This is why the local camaro club is so bad, they are a bunch of elitest stuck up people that drive off the real car enthusiast.

More reliable and more driveable? Says who? Your making stuff up at that point. For $7500 you can have a TT kit that would destroy that maggie car in any speed competition and have plenty of room to grow, more torque, and drives just like stock. Kevin's car made 680rwhp through an auto with no other mods on 91 octane in 110+ heat. I've driven plenty of maggie cars, tuned them. I've also driven a TT car and to say it drives better is the understatement of the year.
The local Camaro Club, Arizona All Gens Camaro Club is over 700 members strong, and they are all really nice good people. I remember you now, youre at arrogant jack*** that kept coming to the clubs "Camaro" events and wanted to park with us. You got butt hurt when you were told to park on the end with the Vettes and Challengers.
Camaro Events are just that, dont show up acting like your better than most in a beater Mustang and expect to be liked. Cruise nights, Car shows and other car events are open to all.
Your attitude and arrogance is why you were not like or accepted by most in the club, you were actually a topic at one of the cruise nights at the Pavillions. Several of our members have other make cars and will sometimes drive them to events without the attitude you displayed.
If you want to be embraced into the local Camaro community its best to, 1 have a Camaro, 2 be nice and humble. You rubbed a lot of members the wrong way.
Don't accuse others of being elitist stuck ups due to your shortcomings.

As far as you claim, a TT turned up will destroy a Maggie car but it wont be reliable, really 680 rwhp on a stock bottom end with only a TT kit, that means more boost than is safe on a stock bottom end with no other mods.
Im not saying it cant be done, I'm saying its stupid to.
Why do you think all the major aftermarket tuners use Maggies, Hennessy, Callaway, SLP(until recently when they started making there own) use them? Because its safe relable power which can be warrantied. All of there large packages that use TT set ups have "Forged" bottom ends.