Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 10-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
navs39

Drives: Cyber
Angry Texas State Inspection not passing

I have a 2010 Camaro that the battery had discharged and all codes on the computer had been reset. My Camaro needs to have state inspection done but it wont pass since the battery was replaced. I have tried the step given by the dealers to have code re entered into car computer. NO LUCK I took it on a very long road trip (1500 miles) and still nothing. Does any one have any Idea on how to get code back in the Computer?? Any help would be appreciated.
navs39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
Do a search on here for emissions testing or drive cycles. The only way it is really going to reset everything is by meeting that specific criteria in the drive cycle. Some have done the cycle 2 to 3 times and it worked and some it has taken numerous attempts. It is going to take patience and time. Just taking a long drive does not always cure it like it will in some other vehicles. I worked on cars for many years and have done numerous types of drive cycles and I think these particular vehicles are by far the most stubborn when it comes to resetting the I/Ms.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
I made the mistake recently of doing some work on my car that involved disconnecting the battery forgetting that I needed to get an inspection done the following week. All the codes cleared pretty fast except for 02 and Evap not showing ready. You can pass in Texas with only 1 code not showing ready so I had to do about 7 drive cycles from a cold start and the O2 finally cleared and I could get it inspected. Just vary your driving speeds and I do not know if it is necessary but a mechanic told me to try to have a little under 3/4 tanks of gas. Not sure if that was absolutely necessary but it did finally clear recently. Just keep driving it.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Huh? Won't pass inspection because you replaced the battery? I've never heard of that. Maybe I'm not understanding.
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Smoke 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TexaSS View Post
Huh? Won't pass inspection because you replaced the battery? I've never heard of that. Maybe I'm not understanding.
Any time the power is disconnected from the computer, in this case the bad battery was removed, it will cause the system to reset. Once power is restored, the system has to go back and check all of the I/M monitors and make sure they are functioning properly. Until the system is satisfied that the proper conditions and requirements have been met, it will not set the monitors to the ready status. In order pass a state inspection, in most of the states that require it, you are only allowed to have one monitor that is not ready. Any more than that and the vehicle will automatically fail because the computer is assuming that the system has been tampered with.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
6camaro

Drives: 2010 SS
This is the case with all ODB2 cars. Mine took 4 days of mixed type driving around 300 miles total.
6camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #7
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
I've never heard of this. Do they really fail you if codes are appearing? On my older vehicles I've had check engine lights on and when checking codes I had many issues but the inspection station told me the check engine light had nothing to do with their inspection. I'm guessing the new cars are different?
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
If you can get it scanned and see what the code of fault is, we can try and give you better advice. If you have been through several run cycles and it is still on, there may indeed be a fault. Also check that the heat vent tube for the battery is working properly, it may be tripping if the new battery doesn't have it on or its collapsed the tube somewhere.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Smoke 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
I've never heard of this. Do they really fail you if codes are appearing? On my older vehicles I've had check engine lights on and when checking codes I had many issues but the inspection station told me the check engine light had nothing to do with their inspection. I'm guessing the new cars are different?
If by older you mean something that is older than a 1996 model, then the check engine light being on does not make a difference because the inspection is done completely different and it does not involve the computer on the car where as the 96 and newer models involve plugging into the computer on the car as part of the inspection process. On anything after 1996, including a small number of 1995 model vehicles, if you have a check engine light on, your car will fail regardless of what code is in the system. The only way that your car will pass with a check engine light on is if the actual circuit for the light has a short in it and is causing the dash light to stay on but that is a highly unlikely scenario. I was an inspector for about 12yrs so I do have a little experience with this stuff. You can also check on the DPS website as well as a number of shops that do inspections.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
My 2000 Silverado has had a check engine light for years and the inspection station never plugged anything into the port
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Smoke 'em

Well, I am not sure what to think about that one other than the fact that there are still some counties in Texas that do not require an emissions test. I keep forgetting about that. In this case then a check engine light would not matter because you are only getting a safety inspection which is basically a visual with a brake check. However, the op was obviously referring to the emissions test. There is always the "I know a guy" exception as well. Good for you that you do not have to deal with it.

Last edited by Smoke 'em; 11-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #12
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Did his issue ever get resolved?