Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #15
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
Exactly what I am thinking...But I LOVE this job and can afford the note. Everything else checks out...my TPW is the 26th of this month for christ sakes and she is having second thoughts now.

I thought shed welcome the idea of me paying my own note finally.
Not to be a downer, but on paper you make enough money to afford this car but you don't seem to realize that you won't have anything saved while you are paying this off.

Why don't you take those payments you were planning to make and stuff them in your bank for a year or two. Then go look for a low miles used SS (probably with more options than the one you want now) and buy that car then? You will have a huge down payment and a lower car price too.

Even if you lived at home and had all your food/electric/water/cable/computer/phone bills paid for free, $700 is really not that much disposable income per month. You need to get that payment down somehow so you have some breathing room.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #16
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Exactly what I am thinking...But I LOVE this job and can afford the note. Everything else checks out...my TPW is the 26th of this month for christ sakes and she is having second thoughts now.

Well if she's paying for the z ask her to go halfsies on the Camaro with you if it'll make her feel better about it getting paid for. I know this seems couterintuitive but moms are weird.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:

show her how responsible you are !! go for it!!!!!1
Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #18
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
If you wanted the camaro since 2006 why did you just go out and have your parents get you the z? Doesn't make much sense to me. And you are extremely fortunate to have the parents you do.
I wanted the camaro and the 01 SS was stolen before my ordered 2010 could come in so I had to cancel and find a car ASAP for commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
..What happens if the restaurant you work in goes out of business?
Thats exactly what she said lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Well if she's paying for the z ask her to go halfsies on the Camaro with you if it'll make her feel better about it getting paid for. I know this seems couterintuitive but moms are weird.
I actually didnt even run that by her, maybe I can pay for half of it and then pay some of the other stuff they generously pay for me.

I honestly do appreciate everything I have and I love my parents for everything they have ever done for me. Im not an ungrateful person lol

Ordered 9/26...TPW is 10/26/09!!!!

1100 - Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced 9/30
3000, Order accepted by production control

ALL THIS PROGRESS AFTER 6 DAYS!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #19
Legend17
Army Bound

Drives: 97 Camaro RS
I say wait cuz more options will become available on later years and maybe they will fix a few of the common problems they have right now

also convertible is about to come out!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #20
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend17 View Post
I say wait cuz more options will become available on later years and maybe they will fix a few of the common problems they have right now

also convertible is about to come out!!!
lol if I were only interested in the vert haha...

so if im at 3000 with a TPW can I still cancel? Or is it too late?

Ordered 9/26...TPW is 10/26/09!!!!

1100 - Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced 9/30
3000, Order accepted by production control

ALL THIS PROGRESS AFTER 6 DAYS!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #21
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
Quote:
Ok I need some major help convincing the parents why that getting this car is not going to impact my future in a negative way. Let me go down the list here. I will name their reasons and my reasons

First off parents concerns:

1. Thinks the car will be stolen (01' SS was stolen twice)
2. Thinks that my job as a server at a restaurant is uncertain of future. (me quitting)
3. Thinks that I will go in debt
4. Just got an 07' 350Z in December

Ok now my side of the story...

1. I am an honors student in college and I have all college paid for
2. I have a job at a restaurant that makes me about $700 a month
3. The camaro will have onstar so theft is not an issue
4. I love the car to death and have wanted it since 2006
5. It would help my mother out right now because she pays note and insurance on the Z right now, and me paying the note would free up some of her money...

Her concern is with my financial future and trying to make me build credit and she thinks something will happen to where I cant make a note or something...

What am I suppose to do, not to sounds conceited or spoiled but they have never really told me "no" before. I dont see what the huge deal is here so why all of a sudden are we concerned with this when I: A. can pay the note. And: B. will be helping her out free some of her money up?

Help me!!!
I hate to tell you man but you're not making a good decision. And not to sound conceited (as you said), but I'm 28 and I make over 10 times more than you a month.

It's nice to want things man...it's great to have goals. I have all the nice things I have in my life because I had good parents who never spoiled me and I worked very hard to get to where I am.

I never went to a high school dance, not even prom. I was bullied and picked on. I was the kid who played Dungeons & Dragons in the computer lab when I wasn't trading Magic cards or playing Duke Nukem with my friends. I kept my nose in a book and studied.

College was the same way. I didn't pick something easy. I figured if I'm paying all this money for something, it better be good. Yep. Electrical engineering.

Now? 6 years after graduating with a 2.8 GPA, I'm a lead at my company and I'm making more money than most lawyers and doctors. I'm in the top percentile of the salary curve for my level of experience. Not because I'm smarter or better than anyone (2.8 GPA, lol), but because I worked hard.

And when I go outside and look at my paid off G (I can't wait until I'm looking at my own Z/28 or CTS-V coupe or GT-R or whatever...skys the limit!), with my awesome small-town girlfriend in the seat next to me wearing the Italian designer jeans that I bought her so she wouldn't feel inadequate eating sushi with me at Nobu.....I have a sense of accomplishment that can only be described as...fufilling. Yep, thanks Aubrey for picking on me...where ever you are. Wait, I know where you are...you're behind the meat counter at Wal-Mart in my hometown...slinging steaks to customers for a living. (Ok, sorry Jesus...that's a little too much pride...but hey, I'm only human )

I hope that one day you'll feel that way about something...and it sounds like you're doing well in college so that is a very good possibility. The whole point of my post is to get you to reflect a little about your priorities right now.
Asking your mother to go into further debt for you, in a time where the credit markets aren't very forgiving of the slightest screw ups, is a very selfish move. Your 07 350Z is a very nice car, and it's way more than what I had, and what most students have when they're in college.

The Camaro will be around for a while, and the Z/28 is going to be out in a couple years. Don't stress your parent's finances more than they already are...they're doing more than most parents would do for their kids and it's obvious that they're proud of your accomplishments. Buy the car on your own when you can with your own credit. 1, it'll feel better to do it on your own, and 2, you don't risk damaging your parents' credit.

P.S. Don't even think like the way you're thinking man...it makes me want to punch you in the face. "My parents never say no to me," is such the wrong attitude to have after all they've done to you. Frankly, you need to grow up...and that would be extremely sobering to hear from me if you knew me.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #22
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
But Mooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #23
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
sorry parents are right you dont need this car..its a want not a need car...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #24
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Sim, you remind me of another person on this board. The two of you are in almost the exact same situation and we told him the same thing we are telling you now. Unfortunately just over a month later he makes a thread saying that he's having to sell it as he can not afford it.

Sim, please listen to us and listen to your mom. You will not be able to afford this car new and you will be much better off saving and buying one used in a year or two.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #25
TiG3R

Drives: 2006 V8 Toureg
I think its great your parents make enough money to pay for most of your stuff, and I think its great youve fallen madly in love with the Camaro, but If I were you I would be trying to establish my independency.

I come from a very poor house where food was scarce, and now that I moved away from my parents in with my girlfriend, I got myself an OK paying job, I make about 1,000 dollars more then you a month, sounds like I'm doing pretty well right? Well theres people on this board that make double that, and not because its just handed to them, but because they work or have worked hard to be where they are today.

With that being said, I think its great your working and going to school at the same time, and the amount of money that I make I still doing know if I'll be able to afford a Camaro even though i've wrote it into my budget. My goal is to put 500 dollars away each month for a year and If I can pull that off, not only will I have proven to myself that I can support myself and pay that much for a car, but Ill have a decent size down payment too.

Do this, You should write down your budget, but take on some of your critical expenses yourself
If you can pay for Food, Gas, Insurance, Car maintenence, And the monthly Camaro payment with your paycheck, and pay for these yourself for the entire length of the Camaro Loan, id say go for it.
If not I say stick with what you have, and be happy you have it.

Last edited by TiG3R; 10-04-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: crap!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #26
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Your parents are correct. $700 a month will just have you working every day to pay for a car that is sitting outside. In the Z, you're banking the $.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Here is some fatherly advice.

Son,

I think the smart move is start saving up some of the 700.00 a month, lets say 350.00 a month for a down payment. Then around 2012 a Z28 Camaro will be out and you will have a nice down payment saved up for it. This is what your mother and I think you should do.

Ok that was me being a dad which I am in real life.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #28
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
OK... everyone is telling you to wait and that you Mom is right... and you are still trying to justify it. You think you know what you want. You don't know squat! "I can, I can..." "She can't possibly understand"... I have said it all! If you ask, most likely all the grown-ups on this site (or anywhere)..... Do you know what we all say NOW? I wish I would have listened to my parents! "I made some dumb choices"

Here is the main deal. I don't know you nor does anyone else on this site. Your Mom does. SHE is the only one that cares what happens to you. SHE had a vested interest in your wellbeing. SHE doesn't want any harm to befall you. If you are stupid enough to ignore this, then is a few years (if you are lucky to make it that long), you will be loosing the camaro, wishing you had a job, your credit will be toast. You will be saying " I wish I had listened to my Mom!"

What you ARE... is upside down in a car (350Z)! This is a SUPER nice car for someone your age! Pay for it first. What is the note? $400? That leaves $300 for gas, food, insurance... naaa that is being handed to you too. BTW... how many tickets do you have?

My son has three scholarships to pay for his college. I pay for his insurance and anything else he needs. I also bought his vehicle. a 1994 GMC pickup. When he graduates... I will cosign whatever he wants. AFTER he graduates! I care about HIM Like your MOM cares for you!

Do the right thing! Listen to your Mom and be thankful you have it so good right now.
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"

Closed Thread