Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #71
Sooner_SS

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
You can't get all mad about him wanting a car like this though! Yes, there are those reasons why you shouldn't have the car. Main one being your finances.

A couple years ago when I was 17, I got an 06 gto brand new. I was able to handle everything on my own because I had a good paying job for a kid in high school. Also, you, like me, probably under your parents insurance policy so it's cheaper because you still go to school. You need to look at what it would be with you only paying for it on your own policy because once you are not going to school anymore you have to get your own policy.

I made more than 700 a month since I was 17. There were a few months where it was tough but I had a back up plan. I am still able to save money every month. What i'm trying to get to is if you get this car, you have to make a lot of sacrifices. Some in which you may not want to but you have to. If I made 700 a month I would be in a giant hole right now. My college is paid for as well but that's it. You're used to making 700 a month and having your parents pay for everything else and once you have a 500 car payment or whatever it makes everything tougher budget wise.

It's your decision but from experience 700 a month won't work. I agree with everyone saying you should wait because of your income. But don't agree with the fact that some people don't want someone in college having a camaro. I'm only 20 and I ordered a 2ss rs but i know i can handle my part. however, i make a lot more than 700 a month and i have money put away to cover my back just in case some emergency were to happen. this goes to everyone who disagrees with a college kid with a camaro. some of us work hard to get this car and you guys are destroying the american muscle car by throwing us down when we talk about wanting one.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #72
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
Rent one from Avis and take her on a drive.
He couldn't afford it. He will also need a credit card to start the contract with Avis.... unless he is borrowing one from his Mom. Then he will need the money yo pay for it AND the money to top off the fuel tank.... He only makes $700 a month ROFL

Be happy with what you have!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #73
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
It's obvious that you come from a comfortable background. There is an old saying that my dad and mom used to tell me, "There is a reason some people have money and there is a reason some people don't."

Your parents sound like their responsible with their money; therefore they still have it. They are trying to convey the same values and responsibilities to you. Delayed gratification is always better in the end.

Many members make a good point of waiting and you could have a Z/28 or a convertible or whatever else is the latest thing.

I know many of us sound like hypocrites; having a new Camaro on this board, but if you check the median age of ownership that many are 35 and up. This is the first new "toy" car that I have ever bought new. As stated earlier, "This is a want and not a need."
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #74
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #75
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Enjoy the 350Z and get a Z28 Camaro when it comes out. By then you'll be able to pay a lot more down plus you'll have more saved up.

Quote:
I'm 19 and my camaro is fully paid for.
Okay... and that helps this thread how?
Congrats on mommy/daddy paying for it?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #76
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Alright, well I just got done reading through everyones posts. Some a little hateful, some harsh but rightfully needed. I am not a hard headed person, nor am I a kid as some of you have portraid me to be. I have worked hard for everything I've gotten and have made sure my parents know that I love them and appreciate everything they have ever done for me. And just to clarify my age to everyone because I am apparently 18-19 in everyones mind here, I am 21 and a senior in college at LSU. I will be graduating this year and pursuing my masters in sports administration/management to later become a sports agent.

Now that my background rant is over, I will get back on topic of post. I GREATLY appreciate everyones posts whether they be what I did or did not want to hear. I've always been a ,"learn from doing" kind of person, but after reading posts and the overall consensus being to wait, I think I will take the advice and wait. I ordered a 1SS and really wanted a 2SS but settled for the 1SS cause of monthly payments. Well it's not EXACTLY what I want, so it will be better for me to save up on a monthly basis and have the money for a Z/28 or whatever new camaro is out.

The excitement is still there and will continue to work towards the car. I'm glad I made this thread to gather the opinions of others. I didn't write it thinking that I was going to get people on my add. I figured it would all go against the decsion and thats fine. I have taken it all in and have looked at it in a more serious matter rather than just going by that pure excitement.

Now with all that being said, thanks again for the replys and advice. I hope you all enjoy your camaros and congradualtions for being able to own one. I hope to enjoy it with you someday when I first get mine but I can wait. And lastly, GO GM! :-)

Ordered 9/26...TPW is 10/26/09!!!!

1100 - Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced 9/30
3000, Order accepted by production control

ALL THIS PROGRESS AFTER 6 DAYS!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #77
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Stupid iPhone typing...meant to say "side" not "add"...and
"congratulations" not "congradualtions"...I promise I'm in college lol

Ordered 9/26...TPW is 10/26/09!!!!

1100 - Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced 9/30
3000, Order accepted by production control

ALL THIS PROGRESS AFTER 6 DAYS!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #78
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I just want to put something in perspective for you that might help you understand the hateful posts. While it isn't within site rules to show disrespect, I feel that their opinions need to be put better from my experience.

I graduated from college in December in a degree that covers areas ranging from management to social welfare to finance: political science. With this degree, all I could find in the entire area between Kansas City, Missouri, and Topeka, Kansas, was a customer service job that pays below the government-established poverty line.

Let me add to this that you make less than me.

I am not a student, so I work full-time, and I get by independently. Despite this, I clearly do not have the funds to pay for insurance and a Camaro, even with my beater Subaru as a potential trade. I couldn't even get a used fourth generation Camaro with reasonable mileage even if it were a V6.

You're currently driving a car that isn't a year old, has only been produced for as long, and represents a class of cars most of us only dreamed of driving in college. Now, you want to replace that already highly desirable ride with a car that competes with it.

This all makes sense, and I agree that the Camaro is clearly the more attractive car. In fact, I hope that you get one. I just also want to point out that there's a lot more than having college paid that will affect your wallet. Rent gets expensive when you leave your college town to find work, and then there's that stress of having a job that a monkey could do and knowing that you're easily replaced. There's the problem that you'll start out working in a field below your degree and desired pay scale, even if that pay scale is completely reasonable.

If I were waiting tables with a Camaro outside, I'd be elated. I would be a glorious gift. That being said, it would also not being showing the appreciation for the car you used to have. That Nissan is a great car, and you're so eager to replace it. You knew this Camaro was coming out in 2009, so rather than getting a used beater in the meantime, your family got a trade—a brand new Nissan 370Z, a brand new model never before produced—that will yield thousands less than its purchasing price not even a year after buying it. From a financial perspective, this is highly impulsive and costly, especially for someone who might not make the value of that car after a year at your current job. A Camaro SS will cost you, at a minimum, 2 years of your salary, and that assumes that you don't spend a cent over that entire 2 years.

I hope that clarifies the concerns about getting a new Camaro. This is a fun decision. It is about more than just driving from one point to a destination, but let's not ignore that fun comes at a cost, especially when it comes on four wheels with six gears. Be aware not only of your impulse to get the Camaro but how much it costs to get one.

I personally hope that you get the Camaro of your dreams and that you get to drive it for a very long time.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #79
Sooner_SS

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
I'm like batman. I inherited a fortune. And it helps this thread because people are making fun of his age and how he relies on his parents. So what? You can be young and responsible. Let the kid get the car he wants. He says he can make the payments. He obviously has researched into this.

Get the car. Don't listen to the haters.
It's always good to get other opinions but what I don't get is why people drag him down for his age. This is something i've experienced since i was 17 and it drives me insane. a lot are jealous because they didn't have something like this when they were our age. and also most people assume it's bought by the parents. if you work for the car and/or able to afford it then all the power to you. some people should show a little more to us younger people..
Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #80
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
So what? You can be young and responsible. Let the kid get the car he wants. He says he can make the payments. He obviously has researched into this.

Get the car. Don't listen to the haters.
Great response...you contradict yourself in less than 50 words.

You're not responsible if you commit almost 100% of your income to a 'want'/luxury item.

Good luck with that fortune Batman...I would recommend getting a financial adviser as your skills in that arena might leave you broke.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #81
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I am happy you have come to this conclusion. No need to fret now - wait untill you have graduated, have a few years of solid employment in your chosen field and career, and you will be able to buy a brand new Camaro SS or Z28 with no problem. They'll still be making them for sure....

Besides, by then GM will have everything on the car that people who've already bought them bitch about not having (power passenger seat, ambient lighting across the dash, rear backup sensors, etc).

You will be much happier in the end.

Congrats on the wise decision to hold off!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #82
Our1stCamaro

Drives: VR 2ssRs
Your young and that car has clouded your judgement. Its like getting those new Jordans before everybody in your school has them. Why don't you finish school, start your career, and be proud that you were able to pay for the car with your own money.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #83
Lamar14
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: GMC 2008 Denali White
If you have wanted the car since 2006....shouldn't you have started saving in 2006? I've been saving since I saw Transformers 1. I'm 15 and have around 10k saved right now for it. I hope that if you do get the car you can afford it. Good luck if you get the car but it might be smarter to save for it.

Edit: I didn't mean to be kinda a ***** about it. I hope you get the car, I realy do as I enjoy seeing younger people that are paying for the car themselves or atleast most of it. And I do not expect to get my camaro til I'm in college haha. All i have to say is good luck to you man.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #84
warcopwife

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS IBM
I'm sorry, but I have a soon to be college age child, and seriously, if the words, "my parents" and "never say no to me" are being spoken in the same sentence, then no way in H E Double Hockey Sticks is a child ready for a brand spankin' new car, let alone a brand spankin' new Camaro. Son, finish your education, get a good job, and then pay for your new car on your own!

6000 Delivered to the customer ~ 10/21/2009

Closed Thread