Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
What Does "Loaded Firearm" Mean?

Any LEO's out there or experienced firearm members know what this means? I know it varies by state, but i cant find anywhere, what it means here in New Mexico. Just bought a XDM 9mm and want to know how i can carry it in my vehicle. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Pain505

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
PM Designs

Drives: 2011 Camaro, 99 Silverado , 69 C-10
Go to your local range and take a basic handgun class, your safety and those around you needs it based on your question. Also read the owners manual that came with the weapon.
PM Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
sound like you need a laywer to define that if you really can't figure out what loaded means, or you are loaded
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
If this happens...........It was loaded!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
Jokers...he means legally, like in the event he gets pulled over for something, he doesn't want to get busted with a loaded weapons charge say because the officer spots a lone cartridge happening to rest against the trigger guard, thus breaking a city ordinance, or something simple like that.

The laws vary dramatically by state and even by city. My advice would be to spring for a certified firearms handling class; I'm sure such a class would cover all the details regarding what falls under legal definition of a loaded firearm.

In some places, it could be having a loaded magazine in the mag well but an empty chamber is considered loaded; having ammunition in the same container might be considered the same. It really comes down to the hair in some jurisdictions, therefore my recommendation you look for a class and get solid facts specific to your area.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain505 View Post
Any LEO's out there or experienced firearm members know what this means? I know it varies by state, but i cant find anywhere, what it means here in New Mexico. Just bought a XDM 9mm and want to know how i can carry it in my vehicle. Thanks.
Perkins Protection Training..

www.perkinsprotectiontraining.com

teaches many courses at the range by Double Eagle...

now, your car in New Mexico is a extension of your home...it can be loaded with a bullet in the chamber and a magazine with rounds in the gun....that was always my understanding however like you, I would like to see this documented somewhere. Mr Perkins can easily answer this question if you call him or email him...

nice gun btw...

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
taken from www.dps.nm.org

Question: Do I have to be licensed to have a concealed loaded handgun inside my vehicle?

Answer: No. New Mexico law allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited to have a concealed loaded firearm in his/her vehicle (including motorcycles and bicycles). See 30-7-2 NMSA 1978. If you are not licensed to carry concealed in this State or in a state that NM recognizes, you may not have the weapon concealed on your person when you exit your vehicle or motorcycle.

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
get the permit and then you dont have to figure it out

I have always liked the xd's because one holster fits them all.
Attached Images

It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99SS View Post
Jokers...he means legally, like in the event he gets pulled over for something, he doesn't want to get busted with a loaded weapons charge say because the officer spots a lone cartridge happening to rest against the trigger guard, thus breaking a city ordinance, or something simple like that.

The laws vary dramatically by state and even by city. My advice would be to spring for a certified firearms handling class; I'm sure such a class would cover all the details regarding what falls under legal definition of a loaded firearm.

In some places, it could be having a loaded magazine in the mag well but an empty chamber is considered loaded; having ammunition in the same container might be considered the same. It really comes down to the hair in some jurisdictions, therefore my recommendation you look for a class and get solid facts specific to your area.

Hope this helps.
^^^^ good advice......and every state that I know of that ALLOWs or has a Conceled Carry License REQUIRES a class that has all the info you are asking, PLUS as part of it, you will be REQUIRED to demonstrate your profiency with a handgun.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Please consider spending some quality time at the range with your weapon after reading your owner's manual. Always treat the firearm as if it is loaded. The only deadly weapon is the weapon that is in the hands of someone that does not respect it.

As for your question, go to your local gun shop for some quality knowledge transfer and when I say local, I mean something other that a chain sporting goods store.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
My definition of a loaded weapon is any gun that has a magazine with bullets loaded into the magazine well. This means, if you have the magazine in but no bullet chambered it is still loaded. This is the common sense definition and what I think most LEO's would consider to be the case.

Here is the New Mexico law on carrying in your car:

30-7-2. Unlawful Carrying of A Deadly Weapon.
A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of
deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:
(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's
person or property;
B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

I found this here. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

Here is a synopsis of NM law:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Pain505

Thanks for the info peeps. this is the first gun i have owned however i am aware of how to be safe with a gun but i was not aware that a training class covers thay. I will be enrolling soon. Btw that looks nice on the bike. And yes i love how xds look and with the xdm they just made it much more better. Thanks for all the info
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
jdcvictory11
Sonja

Drives: '11 LT/RS, '95 Camaro Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
If this happens...........It was loaded!
A friend of mine did this because "it wasn't loaded." True statement.
jdcvictory11 is offline   Reply With Quote