Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I agree with him about waiting. You seem to like what you see in the new C6 (enough to consider buying one).. So, if you wait, what are the possible positives? A factory warrantied, super-charged C6 that's lighter and faster than anything you can create or buy right now. You've nothing to lose by waiting.

Now, if you didn't like the new C6, that would be a different story..... or you could buy a super charger now, install it on your current car.... then sell it me, for cheap money, when you buy the C6 ZL1 .. lol
That's definitely some good thinking and why I have been on the fence. Can't say whether I like the new Camaro until I see it in person. I like it so far in pictures though.

You'll be the first person I call if I decide to supercharge mine now and take it off later........LOL
Dan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am biased, but I would highly recommend supercharging your L99. Trading in cars is always a losing proposition. I picked up about 150 rwhp with the blower, and that's only on about 8 psi.

There are plenty of vendors to choose from, but definitely check out Livernois. They did top-notch work.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
With so many used ZL1s for Sale why not just get one of those. You will get all the Goodies that come with a ZL1 for less than upgrading. Your SS will always be an SS.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #18
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
With so many used ZL1s for Sale why not just get one of those. You will get all the Goodies that come with a ZL1 for less than upgrading. Your SS will always be an SS.

This!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #19
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2013 View Post
Just curious why you think I should wait? Not a fan of aftermarket superchargers?
The 6th gen seems to be turning out to simply be an overall better car. If you like it, get it. I myself will be going twin turbo or a centri SC in a couple years so I'm certainly not against supercharging lol. I'm keeping my car because I like it.

I'm personally not a fan of the exterior aesthetics on the 6th gen, I actually like the 'stang a bit better in that department, but as I said it seems like it will just be a better car. Hell, I may come around and grow to like the aesthetics. I didn't like the new Mustang until I saw it in person anyway.

Or just supercharge now, test drive the ZL1 in 2017 or 2018 to see if you like it, and buy slightly used later. That's probably what I'd do if I could swing it.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
This!
Indeed, if it were my money I'd get some ZL-1. If Chevy follows their 5th gen ways, we may see several 6th gen platform models introduced over the next 3 to 4 years. But on second thought, I don't know - it's a different plant, and that strategy has been done before - so maybe not.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #21
rimhof

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Depending on your price range you may want to consider a new CTS-V or ATS-V from Cadillac.
rimhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Just curious why you think I should wait? Not a fan of aftermarket superchargers?
Because the 2016 is not only supercharged, but will come with a warranty and a ton of other new things your 2013 does not have. If you like the looks of it then it will definitely be a better option than a 13 supercharged SS

or like rimhof says, take a look at the ats-v, cts-v... if you like those
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I am biased, but I would highly recommend supercharging your L99. Trading in cars is always a losing proposition. I picked up about 150 rwhp with the blower, and that's only on about 8 psi.

There are plenty of vendors to choose from, but definitely check out Livernois. They did top-notch work.
I wouldn't plan on trading in my current Camaro. I would get the 6th gen ZL1 in addition to my current car.

I've got a great SLP guy here local that works on my cars. He's just waiting on me to make a decision.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I wouldn't plan on trading in my current Camaro. I would get the 6th gen ZL1 in addition to my current car.

I've got a great SLP guy here local that works on my cars. He's just waiting on me to make a decision.
That's a tough call, I guess. If you SC your current car, you will spend a lot less money, and you can get more power than a base ZL1. I'm extremely happy with my SS setup.

That said, if I had it to do all over again, it probably would've been easier just to get the ZL1 and call it a day. If I ever wanted to sell it, it'd be much easier than selling a highly modified SS. I am kind of happy that my SS is unique and it's got exactly what I want, as opposed to just buying something off the shelf.

Truthfully, if I were in your position, and could keep my SS, I'd go for the Stingray. But if it's uncomfortable, there's not a whole lot you can do.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
WAIT to see your cars not going anyplace
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Dan2013
Living the Dream

After some soul searching, I am definitely going to wait for the 6th gen ZL1. I'm going to make it a convertible at that. I have always wanted a convertible. I'll keep driving my modded Camaro SS and it may one day be my little 6 year old girls first car.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #27
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
dan2013. do NOT give you daughter at 16 a high powered car like you have now. talk about dangerous. I would sell it first before you give it to your daughter. . just my opinion
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #28
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
dan2013. do NOT give you daughter at 16 a high powered car like you have now. talk about dangerous. I would sell it first before you give it to your daughter. . just my opinion
Sorry, didn't mean as her first car. Really meant when she was older. It's the car I take her to school in and she will have lots of memories of it when I'm old and feeble.

I have a 22 year old girl and 21 year old boy and I have already done the 1st time driving thing.