Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #29
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I used to work directly with the wholesalers who sold P66 branded fuel (76/Conoco/Phillips 66 stations)

Here's how it works, forgive me if this post goes long...

There are 2 types of gas. Branded and Unbranded. For the sake of my fingers, we'll call it BR and UB.

BR fuel DOES have additives in it, if the company supplies them. Chevron uses Techron, Shell uses Nitro+, Phillips uses detergents, but I don't think they have a fancy name.

UB fuel will have NO additives.

It is these additives that allows each major supplier to differentiate their product from the competition, and they all (more or less) are designed to do the same thing. I can't speak to their effectiveness. I can only speak to the process.

Now, how do they get this additive if all the trucks are picking up from the same place?

Well, the short answer is that they don't pick up from the same place. Phillips wholesalers pick up from a Phillips terminal, Shell from a Shell terminal, etc....It is at this location where the additives are mixed with the fuel.

UB fuels, however, are generally picked up from whatever is available, and dropped wherever needed (Kroger, RaceTrac, etc...basically anything that isn't a BRANDED location) There is no need to go to a Shell terminal, or Phillips terminal just to pick up some UB fuel..the wholesaler will pick up from wherever they can pull the best price, and each BR terminal also supplies UB fuel.

So, the guy has gone to the terminal, picked up the fuel, now he trucks it to the station, and drops it (hopefully) in the right tank.

Now, here's where it gets confusing for some folks. YES- if you buy branded, you ARE getting the exact same fuel as you would from an unbranded station - only difference being that the BR fuel has an extra bit of 'stuff' added to it....the fuel the additive goes in is the exact same, and meets the exact same specs. Each grade of fuel (87/89/91/93) is REQUIRED to meet certain minimum specs prior to leaving the refinery. When it hits the terminal, they will put additive in some, and not others. Regardless of what additive it does, or does not have, it WILL meet the regulations for that spec fuel.

Whether these additives will really help your motor stay clean, gain performance, etc...well, that's beyond me. I can't say one way or the other.

So that's the skinny on how it works. I'm sure I've missed a thing or two, but the point should be clear enough...

I will say that regardless of where you choose to fill up, try to make it a place with high traffic. Slower stations will have their fuel sit for longer periods before getting a new delivery. We all know that fresh fuel is better than stuff that's been sitting for months.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I really enjoyed working that part of the business, but I've since moved on to an even better side of it now...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #30
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I finally found a nearby station that sells 93 Octane and has a separate hose for each grade of fuel. It's a BP station and it just so happens that the gas they sell is Amoco. I try to always fill up there, simply because I don't want a hose full of 87 octane going into my tank. They advertise some sort of "Invigorate" additive, but the only thing it invigorates is my credit card bill.

You guys crack me up! You are seriously worried about a miniscule amount of 87 going into your tank?

What a tragedy that would be!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #31
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I recently noticed that Shell is charging over 60 cents more per gallon for 93 vs regular. I'll be sticking with Sunoco where it's about 40 cents more per gallon. Screw shell.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #32
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I have always been a fan of Shell because of some things a few tanker drivers have told me. However I have seen no gain at all in my car.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #33
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
I used to work directly with the wholesalers who sold P66 branded fuel (76/Conoco/Phillips 66 stations)

There are 2 types of gas. Branded and Unbranded. For the sake of my fingers, we'll call it BR and UB.

BR fuel DOES have additives in it, if the company supplies them. Chevron uses Techron, Shell uses Nitro+, Phillips uses detergents, but I don't think they have a fancy name.

It is these additives that allows each major supplier to differentiate their product from the competition, and they all (more or less) are designed to do the same thing. I can't speak to their effectiveness. I can only speak to the process.

Now, how do they get this additive if all the trucks are picking up from the same place?

Well, the short answer is that they don't pick up from the same place. Phillips wholesalers pick up from a Phillips terminal, Shell from a Shell terminal, etc....It is at this location where the additives are mixed with the fuel.

UB fuels, however, are generally picked up from whatever is available, and dropped wherever needed (Kroger, RaceTrac, etc...basically anything that isn't a BRANDED location) There is no need to go to a Shell terminal, or Phillips terminal just to pick up some UB fuel..the wholesaler will pick up from wherever they can pull the best price, and each BR terminal also supplies UB fuel.

So, the guy has gone to the terminal, picked up the fuel, now he trucks it to the station, and drops it (hopefully) in the right tank.

Now, here's where it gets confusing for some folks. YES- if you buy branded, you ARE getting the exact same fuel as you would from an unbranded station - only difference being that the BR fuel has an extra bit of 'stuff' added to it....the fuel the additive goes in is the exact same, and meets the exact same specs. Each grade of fuel (87/89/91/93) is REQUIRED to meet certain minimum specs prior to leaving the refinery. When it hits the terminal, they will put additive in some, and not others. Regardless of what additive it does, or does not have, it WILL meet the regulations for that spec fuel.

Whether these additives will really help your motor stay clean, gain performance, etc...well, that's beyond me. I can't say one way or the other.

So that's the skinny on how it works. I'm sure I've missed a thing or two, but the point should be clear enough...

I will say that regardless of where you choose to fill up, try to make it a place with high traffic. Slower stations will have their fuel sit for longer periods before getting a new delivery. We all know that fresh fuel is better than stuff that's been sitting for months.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I really enjoyed working that part of the business, but I've since moved on to an even better side of it now...
Great info ! Thanks !!!
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #34
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I think I picked up 0.19 rwhp
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #35
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kville988 View Post
I always use shell. And I know I will get a small bashing from this but to be honest i feel like My car is smoother since the nitro adder. my car drove VERY sluggish. seems to be more peppy now. and Im NOT saying it added more horsepower! all Im saying is maybe it actually did what it's supposed to do, clean!

I stay away from Chevron, Both times I put it in my Camaro I got a check engine light with no mods.
that means there's a problem with your car; not the gas. deny it if you want to though
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #36
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Ask the truck drivers about their experiences and you will learn some interesting info.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #37
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Corporations selling cheap gas use marketing BS to convince you to believe that.
No, I provided the short version provided to me from numerous ppl inside the industry. It is all advertising hype that means nothing, about the only thing one should be concerned with is Octane and maybe possibly Branded vs. Unbranded as Hazy explained very well. Almost all the gas in the Houston market is Branded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Ask the truck drivers about their experiences and you will learn some interesting info.
Yes...or don't....the public really does not need to know what really happens at most fuel depot.

Someone mentioned www.toptiergas.com earlier, it's owned by .......a fuel retailer (QT)!

Last edited by Snoman; 07-30-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #38
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Would anybody like to elaborate on this statement ? Any truck drivers on this site who have had experience in picking up / delivering gasoline?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #39
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
You guys crack me up! You are seriously worried about a miniscule amount of 87 going into your tank?

What a tragedy that would be!
Not worried about it, but why deal with it? If I can get 93 octane from a dedicated pump, why would I buy 92 octane from a shared pump... when both stations are right next to each other? and both charge the same for "premium"?

And no, I don't want one drop of 87 if I'm paying for 93... not if it's easily avoidable.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #40
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Go to a marina and buy boat gas if you want no alcohol, like the good old days when exhaust smelled like farts.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #41
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
Go to a marina and buy boat gas if you want no alcohol, like the good old days when exhaust smelled like farts.

thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #42
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
So by your reasoning...Shell is lying about nitrogen and V-Power, and Chevron is lying about their Techron additive? Top Tier gas is a sham? See link below about Costco gas.

http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

I say they're all misrepresenting the truth....
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote