Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Clear your AVE speed lol. If it says 103 you may get looks. Not sure how going over 100 mph has anything to do with the warranty. They may try but can not prove anything in regards to racing.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
I have heard that driving speeds like that over the speed limit is considered racing which voids the warranty. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Just tell them you were out at the track doing a 1/4 mile. Anyway, I'd be more worried about On-Star being able to tell Chevy (if it were possible) exactly where I was when I hit that 100. Haha.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
How does a black box know to turn on 30-90 seconds before an accident? That is an eternity in an accident. Unless you meant milliseconds?
The black boxes contain two separate types of memory, volatile and nonvolatile. The car is always writing and rewriting into the volatile memory. This information is not readable, is not stored and erased anytime the ignition switch is turned off or experiences loss of power.

Now when you get into an accident, or trigger an airbag sensor, g sensor or any of the multiple sensors in the car that tell it you have crashed, the computer then transfers the recordings in the volatile memory over to the nonvolatile memory to be stored where it can be read later in the future if needed. Some vehicles also record for several minutes after a crash.

Cameras and voice recorders in patrol cars work the same way except they are triggered by the officer turning on the blue lights.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Clear your AVE speed lol. If it says 103 you may get looks. Not sure how going over 100 mph has anything to do with the warranty. They may try but can not prove anything in regards to racing.
You have to be careful what you leave on navigation systems too.
A friend has a system that displays the highest speed attained.
Not good to get pulled over by a highway patrol and your display shows 140 MPH.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
You have to be careful what you leave on navigation systems too.
A friend has a system that displays the highest speed attained.
Not good to get pulled over by a highway patrol and your display shows 140 MPH.

All you gotta say is "I was at the track" .... either way they can't give you a ticket unless they witness the infraction. I know because I got a ticket from second hand information and took it to court and it was dropped.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #20
CrudeJewelSS
Build,Race,Break,Repeat

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel Camaro 2SS 6M
so how does one obtain these recorded informations???
CrudeJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 AM   #21
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Onstar...hears all, sees all, knows all.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #22
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have always had a feeling that my Camaro had a black box so just to play it safe every time I go for a drive in it I wrap my head in tinfoil.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #23
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
I have always had a feeling that my Camaro had a black box so just to play it safe every time I go for a drive in it I wrap my head in tinfoil.
I use armadillo shells for helmets .........
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Just tell them you were out at the track doing a 1/4 mile. Anyway, I'd be more worried about On-Star being able to tell Chevy (if it were possible) exactly where I was when I hit that 100. Haha.

Huh!
"I was out at the strip drag racing my car and now my clutch is fried! is it still under warranty?"

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
It does, and its called camaro5.com.....
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
when there is a significant impact the "black box" will record crash data which typically records up to 5 seconds pre-crash vehicle data.

On some of the Ford powertrain modules, you may get up to 30 secs pre-crash data. But this is not the airbag 'black box" module.

either way, it doesn't affect OP... you good.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #27
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
when there is a significant impact the "black box" will record crash data which typically records up to 5 seconds pre-crash vehicle data.

On some of the Ford powertrain modules, you may get up to 30 secs pre-crash data. But this is not the airbag 'black box" module.

either way, it doesn't affect OP... you good.
Well, the OP is from 2010, so I don't think he's worried about it anymore.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #28
CrudeJewelSS
Build,Race,Break,Repeat

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel Camaro 2SS 6M
i talked to onstar and if you dont have an up to date subscription no data is recorded. as for the cars data recorder would a dealership have the tools to obtain that data? and would they give it to the registered owner or only the police?
CrudeJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote