Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which Mod
Vitesse Throttle Controller 5 16.13%
Catch Can 12 38.71%
CAI 14 45.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
Next Modification Opinions Wanted

I received $250 for my birthday with instructions that I must buy something(s) for my car. I said not to worry, I wouldn't let them down.

So, now I'm looking for your opinions on what I should spend the money on. My wish list (in no particular order) is as follows...

1. Vitesse Throttle Controller
2. Catch Can
3. CAI

Which would you purchase? If Catch Can or CAI, please indicate your preferred brand.

Also, is there any truth to the various posts that a CAI voids your powertrain warranty. I always thought they had to prove that the modification caused the failure. But then I see the warning label on the Z/28 Intake.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Elite catch can, Cold air induction. On helps the engine from fouling from blow by etc.... The throttle controller: you don't want to go there for the thing is worthless to a real modded tuned car, and many have had problems with them after the initial Arse kissing sausage fest the initial offering of the Vitesse was its was disgusting the push for people to get one, like a frigging spank me Elmo..... And the real funny thing is they treated it like the best thing since biscuits and gravy....and the thing is the controllers by other brands have been around for oh...going on almost twenty years, and the Vitesse looks just like the ones you can get off a boat from China via ebay.... Imagine that. And hey then slowly over time came the complaints, the CELs, the etc... Some may love the thing, and that's good for them if they want to play hot rod kiddie stock car boy..... Its not the only fish in the ocean that is for sure.
My cars throttle is so sharp I just have to barely tap it as easy as I can to let out a BARK from my exhaust to let people know to back the F off or in other words Yes I have the power to back it up. And that's better to do under load for the quick reaction, not under load its just a rev.... And yes a BARK is enough to make people look and go WTF... in less than a second. With the age of your car now not knowing the miles.... and even if new the first mod you need is a catch can despite the Bozos that would say otherwise, and you sound like you need a separate clutch reservoir, and getting addicted to mods becomes expensive when you start adding things that are not just stickers, LOL I am on like the fourth look for my cars vinyl...LOL and the best yet. You want something to really make it stand out....for appearance, American car craft.... I love my new wax-able glossy flame airbrush gradient rally stripes.....

You have not been on here for years or multiple Camaros, people will read the Magnuson- Randy Moss act and claim the CAI wont void a power train warranty and it should not. If your milking worrying about the warranty until your at 5 years or 50000 miles for the power train it should be ok with a CAI..... The thing is the bumper to bumpers gone.... Most likely bought or made in 12.... you have a year or so more to warranty cover the drivetrain which most likely nothing will happen with......

Last edited by christianchevell; 12-01-2015 at 07:48 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I vote for cold air intake. I would also say, save up a little more and get a painted Roto-fab. I'm on my second vehicle with a Roto-fab and couldn't be happier! Great look, excellent performance, and superior build quality!

I'd stay away from throttle controllers and just wait until you get headers and a few more mods and have a tune take care of throttle response. As for catch cans there's a very divided group of people on whether they are all they're cracked up to be or not. You won't find a person middle of the road on them. With a quality catch can you will see oil being caught. However, there are plenty of people who say that the engine was designed to handle the oil recirculating back in. It's all a matter of who you talk to on what response you will get.

Out of the three mods you're choosing from cold air intake is all around the most agreed upon mod to be done to a Camaro.
Attached Images

'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Elite catch can, Cold air induction. On helps the engine from fouling from blow by etc.... The throttle controller: you don't want to go there for the thing is worthless to a real modded tuned car, and many have had problems with them after the initial Arse kissing sausage fest the initial offering of the Vitesse was its was disgusting the push for people to get one, like a frigging spank me Elmo..... And the real funny thing is they treated it like the best thing since biscuits and gravy....and the thing is the controllers by other brands have been around for oh...going on almost twenty years, and the Vitesse looks just like the ones you can get off a boat from China via ebay.... Imagine that. And hey then slowly over time came the complaints, the CELs, the etc... Some may love the thing, and that's good for them if they want to play hot rod kiddie stock car boy..... Its not the only fish in the ocean that is for sure.
My cars throttle is so sharp I just have to barely tap it as easy as I can to let out a BARK from my exhaust to let people know to back the F off or in other words Yes I have the power to back it up. And that's better to do under load for the quick reaction, not under load its just a rev.... And yes a BARK is enough to make people look and go WTF... in less than a second. With the age of your car now not knowing the miles.... and even if new the first mod you need is a catch can despite the Bozos that would say otherwise, and you sound like you need a separate clutch reservoir, and getting addicted to mods becomes expensive when you start adding things that are not just stickers, LOL I am on like the fourth look for my cars vinyl...LOL and the best yet. You want something to really make it stand out....for appearance, American car craft.... I love my new wax-able glossy flame airbrush gradient rally stripes.....

You have not been on here for years or multiple Camaros, people will read the Magnuson- Randy Moss act and claim the CAI wont void a power train warranty and it should not. If your milking worrying about the warranty until your at 5 years or 50000 miles for the power train it should be ok with a CAI..... The thing is the bumper to bumpers gone.... Most likely bought or made in 12.... you have a year or so more to warranty cover the drivetrain which most likely nothing will happen with......
Thank you for your thoughts/opinions. I guess some more information would be pertinent. I ordered my car and purchased it new in June of 2013. It currently has just over 24,000 miles on it. I do more lurking and reading/learning than posting but I've been around this forum since sometime in 2012. I've been meaning to get a Catch Can since I bought the car, and planned to after my first few aesthetic mods but then life happened. I really haven't done anything to the car other than tires since then.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
I'll spare everyone the vitriol and just say: The Vitesse Throttle Controller is one of the best mods for the buck. If you're concerned about voiding the warranty, I would stay away from the tune someone else suggested. I know there were some initial issues with the controller, like most other new offerings but the folks at Vitesse stand by their product and make every effort to make things right with their customers. No, I don't work for Vitesse either. The CAI is also a good mod....I went for the Z28 model....nice addition. As for the catch can...I was led to believe blow by was a bigger issue with the 6 rather than the 8.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
A decent CAI is going to run you over $250. The catch can, $150 ish and you can add some horsepower stickers. I have a badge on mine that's made of shiny metal that says "performance" that adds at least 20hp.

Actually, in that range, the only mod worth it is the catch can.

I believe most of the CAI's are in the $300 + range.
Personally I had an AIRAID, but any decent name brand is going to perform the same, just shades of gray.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
$250 won't be enough for a New CAI, you would probably have to find a used one.
Catch can - Eh like Pyro said depends who you talk to.
Throttle controller may be the biggest bang for your buck. I have had mine on for almost 2 years and love it. Not one cel not one problem.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Catch can as protection from the beginning. $250 isn't enough for the best brand CAI which is CAI brand
Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
I am a big fan of the Cold Air Inductions intakes, they look awesome and add some noise, and can register a (small) change in the butt dyno. Roth fab is also a great company and can't go wrong with it.

The catch can and throttle controller are quite controversial, and you won't find a common opinion on them.

Another option could be some underhood/interior dress up, depending on what you like.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Get a Bo White PTB, especially since you have a manual trans. My best mod for the money. Second best mod was the email tune from JRE.

I bought the Airaid, some might be a little better, I like the look of it over the others. Would have bought the Z28 but it wasn't out yet.

I am happy with my VTC, but it was my last mod. It just tied everything together. Doesn't really do much for dead stop drag racing type driving, but it works really well for road racing type driving. Makes rev matching easier, throttle manipulation in turns is way better. I drive with it on SP3 and bump it up to SP5 if I need to show an SRT8 my personalized license plate.

Catch can works, but I put it in when the car was new. I have 22,000mi and it has caught about 6oz of "stuff"?

Get a Bo White PTB, you will not regret it.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I purchased my car 8/15 and I started with the throttle controller like I voted for. I only use it on a setting of 4 to get rid of the dead spot and so far I am very happy with it. Last month I bought the Elite catch can and installed it then yesterday I took advantage of the savings and purchased the Rotofab intake with the air scoop and washer relocate kit. It will take some time to get my intake because I went with the color match option. I think I will get the SCT tuner next but I am also considering some ground effects stuff also.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
CAI FTW

Check out my video. Apart from performance it just sounds way better than stock.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I heard that Matt Farah guy tell someone with a throttle controller on his Prius that it will mess up the transmission.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
That all depends on what is important to you, If you want longevity from your motor, than I get the catch can first. If you want more horsepower, then I get a CAI. The CAI Brand CAI is one of the best bang for the buck.
chuckstacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote