Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
GtSmoke

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
High Pitched Whine under hood... Help!

I picked my baby up 9/7/10. Broke it in for the 1st 1500 miles keeping it below 4000rpm. The other day I got on the hwy and around 5800rpm this high pitched whine starts to scream under the hood, and continues through to the shift, after the shift there is no more whine until again around 5800rpm. This is my first gas vehicle (always was a duramax fan) so I dont know if this is normal, maybe a gear driven cam??? I dont know. The car is bone stock. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane
GtSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
bring it to the dealer soon its not normal unless you have a turbo or supercharger

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Slipping belt.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i got the same noise! its very annoying, although my car is much faster since the whine.
fastfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
maybe your AC?
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Mephisto2SSRS

Drives: 2010 LS3 Camaro
I've had the same issue since I picked up my car 14k miles and 14 months ago. I figured it was just a squeak in the serpentine belt. After i installed a corsa system it became much more pronounced, like a constant tone tea kettle when the car is at fulll chat. Anyone else had this and found a fix?
Mephisto2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
i got the same noise! its very annoying, although my car is much faster since the whine.
Gonna install that whine this weekend
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
GtSmoke

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
I set up an appointment to take mine in to get it looked at, and well wouldnt ya know, I cant get it to make the sound anymore. Its gone. So I cancelled my appointment. Just have to wait and see if it comes back. But for now, not gonna worry about it.

One day I hope to have that special whine, you guys are referring to.
GtSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtSmoke View Post
I set up an appointment to take mine in to get it looked at, and well wouldnt ya know, I cant get it to make the sound anymore. Its gone. So I cancelled my appointment. Just have to wait and see if it comes back. But for now, not gonna worry about it.

Thanks for indulging our sense of humor and good luck with getting that taken care of, some of those things are just hard to track down.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtSmoke View Post

Two things I would check today. One is to check the belts to make sure they are tracking in the pulleys dead center. The other is turn your airconditioner off and on while test driving seeing it the noise is the coming from the beltdriven aircondition unit. Both of these things I have found on my car. At high rpms the belt to the air unit started to climb up out of the pulley groove. It made a high pitch noise. Once I put it back in place the noise quit. And also the air unit is a little loud when running vs when off.

Oh, and as far as the SPECIAL WHINE, start saving today cause it's well worth the $$. If I had to go back to stock I'd probably sell the car. It's that much fun. PM me if you have any questions.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
xxxfelix

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT transformer edition
Try this...

My mechanics friends all told me the break-in process for high-rev model car engines with synthetic oils should be:

Not to rev the engine close to or pass the red-line but at least go through all rpm ranges during the initial 1 to 2 thousand miles.

I don't think keeping it below 4000 rpm during the first 1500 miles is the cause. Try driving for another 1000 miles using all rpm ranges (below red-line) and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, further investigation is necessary.
xxxfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Mephisto2SSRS

Drives: 2010 LS3 Camaro
Camaro54 I checked this morning and it is the aircon belt making the squealing/"whine" when you say put it back it what did you mean? Was it climbing off of the pulley in your case because im not sure I can see that at all. Also it makes noise whether the compressor is on or off but that makes sense as it's still being driven by the belt
Mephisto2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2SSRS View Post
Camaro54 I checked this morning and it is the aircon belt making the squealing/"whine" when you say put it back it what did you mean? Was it climbing off of the pulley in your case because im not sure I can see that at all. Also it makes noise whether the compressor is on or off but that makes sense as it's still being driven by the belt
mines been squeaking for the past few days but today it got really loud and i checked under my hood. the belt is slightly off the pulley, im guess its the AC belt because its the one on the left side if your facing the engine. idk if this is something i can fix myself by loosening it and readjusting it or if i have to take it in to the service department.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Toastylicious
My car goes Vrooom.. You?

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro LS
I've been bringing my car in for the past 7 months on and off for a so called "belt squeak" so far it hasn't been fixed, and last night i could hear a intermittent loud squeal/grind when i would pick up in rpm's. I think it might be that one of my bearings is shot, but I didn't lose my power steering or any electrical power... so maybe water pump?? I've also one gotten this squeak from my belt area only on cold starts and now I'm getting a slight knock. Brought it back in today ugh this is frustrating.
Toastylicious is offline   Reply With Quote