Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
mike@thepowdercoater.com

Drives: 2005 Corvette
cadillac cts-v conversion

I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.
mike@thepowdercoater.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
That is a great tip. We did flip them on our install, but I do not think we made it as clear as you did.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
JusticePete

Your original post has been quoted in Pedders brake thread. Again, thanks you.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
jasycz28
J.Sick

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@thepowdercoater.com View Post
I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.

I was under the impression that the rear calipers were the same besides the color. So no real reason to swap them.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
They look a bit different and are a different color but yes they have the same braking power. Some people just want them matched front/rear.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
mike@thepowdercoater.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your original post has been quoted in Pedders brake thread. Again, thanks you.
No problem. I've learned more about brake systems since I started specializing in powdercoating them six years ago than I ever thought possible.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Install

What all is involved with installing the Caddy brakes on the rear beside changing the Calipers (new rotors an mounts)?????????
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
What all is involved with installing the Caddy brakes on the rear beside changing the Calipers (new rotors an mounts)?????????
The rear would retain the use of the Camaro rear rotor. You do need to change the tube that connect both halves of the caliper, there is some triming of the dust shield (I suggest using a small grinder) and that brings us to the caliper bolts. They are listed as single use bolts. Many DIYs and GM shops reuse the bolts. That is against the Chevy manual, but if you do, please at leasy use some LocTite.

Mike, check your PM box
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
mike@thepowdercoater.com

what he said!