Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #29
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I LOVE XM, my 5th car to have it.

ONSTAR- never used it or the so-called NAV system.

After 3 Acura's with a REAL touchscreen NAV system, I have

never used the basic one in my 2SS/RS.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #30
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I tried to use the one free navigation and they told me already used it. I said " Oh really, I didn't even know how to do it and I'm the only driver." Then they told me my OnStar was about to run out and they could sign me up for a year! Right.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #31
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
For me XM was a complete waste of money way over priced to begin with. I listen ti my iPod most of the time or my local channels, there was only 3-4 stations top on XM I cared to listen to, Pandora on my iPhone is much better IMO. HD radio would have been a better option too. IMO.

OnStar I use all the time, every time I go somewhere in the city I'm not use to going, I go to mapquest and download direction to onstar first. The navigation advisers almost know me by name too! I plan to renew my onstar. I like the benefits of being able to call them if I get in an accident or need roadside assistance, also there is an emergency button I used once for an accident on the freeway. I was able to hit it and tell them of a car crash, they notified the police and used the GPS locater to tell them exactly where it was. Plus I get a discount on my insurance to help pay for it.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #32
FirstCamaro2k10

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro LS
i listen to all sorts of music, from oldies to Country, pop, Plus, sports talk, Comedy stuff, so there's alot to listen to on XM for me.
FirstCamaro2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #33
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
XM is awesome, customer service sucks though! but worth $80/year!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #34
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue 2010 Camaro View Post
XM is awesome, customer service sucks though! but worth $80/year!
I just re-upped my Camaro and my wife's Toyota Venza - both for $77 a year. she's not into iPods, or mp3 players, and she's found a bunch of XM stations she likes.

I switch between one or two local stations, a handful of XM stations and my iTouch.

Oh, this is the first car I've owned with OnStar, and like SummoneR, I use my On Star service the same way.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #35
rahz28
Z28 Historian

Drives: 73 Z28,86,87 Z28, 2010 1LT/RS
My limited experience with satellite radio is hit or miss. I live near mountains, and the signal drops out constantly. It appears to be a line of sight issue, cause it will drop out when i am driving along very tall trees too. Trying to crank the music, and then the signal drops for 5 seconds.....PITA...

If you are a flatlander, probably worth it...but up here in the northeast, the signal drops too much near my mountainous area....(BTW, FM signals do not drop out in the same location....and yes, i do lose FM stations 40-50 miles away, but at least it's not 'line of sight'...it's distance'.....)

Just my opinion...doesn't say what's right and what's wrong...just what i have run into.

1st Camaro memory: Cousin's brand new 1969 Z28 Black w/White stripes...I was 7 and a Camaro fan forever after.Multiple Camaro Owner...Latest 2010 1LT/RS.
rahz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
i've never used on star on my car. XM is absolutely a must man. I haven't listen to terrestrial radio in about 2 years !!!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #37
Ciscovet
CiscoVet

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS/6mt Black
I love XM/sirius because I like electronic music and thats hard to find on the radio. ONstar well, their GPS is POS. It would be nicer if there was a map on the display showing your route. I really have no way to see if their taking you in the fastest route. I would pay 5/month for that service. The GPS service is probably why they didn't include a nav unit.

""OnStar I use all the time, every time I go somewhere in the city I'm not use to going, I go to mapquest and download direction to onstar first. The navigation advisers almost know me by name too!""

Why don't you print out a map. This alone to me is not worth the high price.

Does anyone know if the phone service works without renewing onstar?
Ciscovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #38
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Actually I find that OnStar does a pretty good job of getting you to your destination quickly. I have the Navigon app on my iPhone, and for the destinations I've gone to with both running, I usually get where I'm going within a minute or two (plus or minus!) of when the GPS display tells me I will. Not having a moving map display does take a little getting used to, but it is still pretty intuitive, as well as accurate.

Considering how much extra it is to buy a decent GPS unit, plus tax, plus a mount if you don't like suction cup marks on your windshield, maybe plus a power adapter, you'd get almost two years' worth of OnStar service for the same price. I'm not saying that makes it a better deal, but for someone on the fence I think it's worth considering.

As for the phone service I think it's turned off if your subscription lapses. Bluetooth calls over your cellphone still work, I believe.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #39
manchimp

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss
XM yes, onstar no. Never use it. GPS in phone works better.
manchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #40
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
No on both counts.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #41
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscovet View Post
I love XM/sirius because I like electronic music and thats hard to find on the radio. ONstar well, their GPS is POS. It would be nicer if there was a map on the display showing your route. I really have no way to see if their taking you in the fastest route. I would pay 5/month for that service. The GPS service is probably why they didn't include a nav unit.

""OnStar I use all the time, every time I go somewhere in the city I'm not use to going, I go to mapquest and download direction to onstar first. The navigation advisers almost know me by name too!""

Why don't you print out a map. This alone to me is not worth the high price.

Does anyone know if the phone service works without renewing onstar?
Why waste the paper and ink? Then have to fiddle around with paper maps, when it's downloaded to the car and it tells me when and where to turn. Much safer tan trying to follow a bunch of little turn by turn maps.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
Ciscovet
CiscoVet

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS/6mt Black
Well not that maps would be less of a hassle. I'm just commenting on whether its worth the extra money to pay for the service. Have you ever used a GPS where just looking at the route on the map, you could tell that the GPS was taking you the long way? This seems to happen to me all the time probably because there is alot of construction in Tampa.
Anyway, their biggest mistake "in my opinion of course" is that they didn't include a map on the display.
Ciscovet is offline   Reply With Quote