Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
smitty912

Drives: 2007 G6 GT
Question RS 'maro or G8 GT (manual V6 or auto V8)

So with Pontiac going away, and the new hotness that is the Camaro and G8 out now, I will be looking to get a new car within the year it looks like.

The big dilemma I have is...I really, really would like to have a manual transmission. I just don't feel connected to the car with an Auto: it's a "riding" in the car as opposed to "driving" the car feeling with a manual transmission.

The other dilemma I'm having is that I am absolutely in LOVE (borderline obsessed) with the sound of a great V8. I know the V6 Camaro is a real performer and has the sporty sound, but it's just not gonna have the V8 rumble I crave.

So my question is, with a low mileage G8 GT and a new RS Camaro at about the same price point, what would you choose?

Should I go with the manual transmission and not get the V8 feel, or go V8 with the G8 and lose the connection of a manual transmission?
smitty912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think you'll be happier with the Camaro V6. Getting a 1LT will grant you many optional luxuries that will make it comparable with the luxurious G8 GT. Additionally, you'll have that outstanding LLT V6 that easily can be made to match the power with a better weight balance and that manual transmission you want so badly.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Test drive both if you can. That is the only way you are going to truly find out what you want. The Camaro is stunning though. The looks are breathtaking and just seeing it coming down the road is just amazing. I would go with the Camaro. Wait I already did.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Bull

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/IBM/Beige
I was looking at the G8 about a year ago and almost pulled the trigger. Unless you need the space for a family, I would personally choose the RS. I picked up a 2LT/RS on Thursday and love it. It doesn't sound like the V8 but has plenty of power and the looks are amazing.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Or you could always have both ;-)
Attached Images

daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Bull

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/IBM/Beige
Nice!!! Preferences??????
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty912 View Post
So with Pontiac going away, and the new hotness that is the Camaro and G8 out now, I will be looking to get a new car within the year it looks like.

The big dilemma I have is...I really, really would like to have a manual transmission. I just don't feel connected to the car with an Auto: it's a "riding" in the car as opposed to "driving" the car feeling with a manual transmission.

The other dilemma I'm having is that I am absolutely in LOVE (borderline obsessed) with the sound of a great V8. I know the V6 Camaro is a real performer and has the sporty sound, but it's just not gonna have the V8 rumble I crave.

So my question is, with a low mileage G8 GT and a new RS Camaro at about the same price point, what would you choose?

Should I go with the manual transmission and not get the V8 feel, or go V8 with the G8 and lose the connection of a manual transmission?
Go with the G8 GT, has plenty of grunt. And when you want more you can get more out of a 6.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@txangl.com View Post
Nice collection you got there.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
JEALOUS.

:(
Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Is you employer hiring? Give me an email address and I'll send you my resume! lol
Nice cars. That would be the combo I would like btw.

On Topic:
I'd get the G8 GT over the V-6 Camaro
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
The advantage to getting the camaro is you can tailor it to exactly what you want, check off whatever boxes you want and have your own brand new RS. It will also have the manual that you seek and will probably be a more pleasurable driving experience because of that.

If you get the G8 GT, you will be getting a somewhat limited car, and a piece of history (not saying the new camaro isn't one). There will be a lot more room in it, and more power which is pleasurable in its own right, even it mated to an automatic.

I think about this everyday, I ask myself which would I buy if I had the money. Some days I say I want the camaro because it is so damn sexy and something that I have been waiting for. Then other days I say the G8 because good 'ol Pontiac is going out of business which means I have to jump and get one soon. Not to mention I would like something roomy and somewhat luxurious, not to mention fast. but the prior is not such a good reason to validate getting a car.

I think it all comes down to your needs are and financial status is. I wouldn't get a car just because it won't be available in a year or two. That is something you shouldn't factor in when deciding to get a car which will cost you a lot of money and will be with you for many years. If you get something just because its limited or will get the axe soon your not getting it for the same reason you would any other car. get something you know you will be happy with driving everyday, have no regrets.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Definitely get the V8..

If money is tight ..then go for the G8 GT (preowned low mileage examples are really great values in the low 20's)

then after you pay it off.....the camaro SS will not be demanding so close to MSRP..

If it were me? I'd chose a base Camaro SS for 31 grand.

Get the V8...

I have a CTS with the 300hp V6 and its a great vehicle...but the v8 in my vette is awesome..

Get the v8!

JMO yet I see the Camaro SS as a two door v8 and the G8 GT as a four door vette..

Your choice and good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
smitty912

Drives: 2007 G6 GT
Quote:
If I had the dinero...a GXP would be in my driveway right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
The advantage to getting the camaro is you can tailor it to exactly what you want, check off whatever boxes you want and have your own brand new RS. It will also have the manual that you seek and will probably be a more pleasurable driving experience because of that.

If you get the G8 GT, you will be getting a somewhat limited car, and a piece of history (not saying the new camaro isn't one). There will be a lot more room in it, and more power which is pleasurable in its own right, even it mated to an automatic.

I think about this everyday, I ask myself which would I buy if I had the money. Some days I say I want the camaro because it is so damn sexy and something that I have been waiting for. Then other days I say the G8 because good 'ol Pontiac is going out of business which means I have to jump and get one soon. Not to mention I would like something roomy and somewhat luxurious, not to mention fast. but the prior is not such a good reason to validate getting a car.

I think it all comes down to your needs are and financial status is. I wouldn't get a car just because it won't be available in a year or two. That is something you shouldn't factor in when deciding to get a car which will cost you a lot of money and will be with you for many years. If you get something just because its limited or will get the axe soon your not getting it for the same reason you would any other car. get something you know you will be happy with driving everyday, have no regrets.
It's not that the G8 is going away that I like it, it's the whole Pontiac/Holden connection. I think the GTO is amazing, borderline obsessed with it, but the chances of finding one in about a year with fairly low mileage will be kinda difficult I think, and the whole half-a-trunk thing lol.

If there was a manual G8 that didn't cost 40K then my decision would probably have been made already, do a little HSV conversion and so on
...but I digress.

The Camaro is just incredible, I'm GM through and through and an "American G35/37" from GM no less is a pretty damn good deal I think too. Now that I'm thinking about it, what am I really missing with an RS? TQ and the rumble, but that can always be made up for with great driving dynamics and mods. But, that rumble...lol

As you can see, no progress has been made
smitty912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
yea I hear ya, I love the G8 almost as much as I like the 'maro. I was just saying that don't buy it just cause it will be limited because I know some people who would do that and at first it played somewhat of a role in my wanting it.

I'm in full support of getting that HSV conversion going on. looks damn sexy! Honestly if the G8 looked like that then I would be split 50/50 on getting a camaro or G8.