Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #29
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Manual FTW
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketright View Post
Alright thanks for the input.

I'm definitely going with the manual, since everyone likes it and seems to have no problems with it... and I agree.. it feels like more of a sports car as a manual.

Now just some questions concerning the manual;

How do you shift for a fast start-up, my uncle might be building a nice long road(They live on a farm) so he said hes flattening it out and using it for his go carts and cars and stuff... to tune them just perfectly.
So I was wondering, while holding in the clutch in first gear, how do you get out, I've only done slow startups where you do a little gas and clutch at the same time... How do you smoke the tires or whatever (just getting it fast?). Do you get it to 2500 RPM then let go of the clutch?

Another question (sorry for all of them, can you tell I'm excited? haha)
When shifting from first to second, and when your high up in RPM's... do you let off the gas completely, then push in the clutch, then release the clutch, then floor the gas? Or is there a quicker way? Sorry the only vehicle that's manual that I've drove is my dads jeep, and that only had like 170HP, so I never gave her.

Thanks a lot guys...

Carter
No problem to smoke the tires.......Its as simple as turning off traction control and nailing it! Ive only done it once, that rubber is pricey. Once you have put 500 miles on the car it will be second nature to you and you will be glad you got the stick

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #31
Rocketright

Drives: 2006 Acura RSX - S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW View Post
No problem to smoke the tires.......Its as simple as turning off traction control and nailing it! Ive only done it once, that rubber is pricey. Once you have put 500 miles on the car it will be second nature to you and you will be glad you got the stick

Awesome thanks
Rocketright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Well the Automatic is faster. It is also better on fuel and a lot smoother ride. The Sports mode is great because it makes you feel like driving a manual. Then again I have a SS, so maybe it is different that a V6 comparison.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #33
rschick

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Mine is a v6 manual, and I love it!!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #34
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhomer View Post
Let's not forget the M6 has the "SS" center section with "Posi"
That's why I am getting manual.
I have the auto. I had a Trans-Am with the manual, just got tired of it. Also the M6 has Posi? So what the heck do I have. I remember doing a burnout and both tires spinning.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Auto here 'cause I'm old and lazy, been rowing thru gears most of my driving life.

Auto works great at the track too!
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
ctrick

Drives: not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketright View Post
Alright thanks for the input.

I'm definitely going with the manual, since everyone likes it and seems to have no problems with it... and I agree.. it feels like more of a sports car as a manual.

Now just some questions concerning the manual;

How do you shift for a fast start-up, my uncle might be building a nice long road(They live on a farm) so he said hes flattening it out and using it for his go carts and cars and stuff... to tune them just perfectly.
So I was wondering, while holding in the clutch in first gear, how do you get out, I've only done slow startups where you do a little gas and clutch at the same time... How do you smoke the tires or whatever (just getting it fast?). Do you get it to 2500 RPM then let go of the clutch?

Another question (sorry for all of them, can you tell I'm excited? haha)
When shifting from first to second, and when your high up in RPM's... do you let off the gas completely, then push in the clutch, then release the clutch, then floor the gas? Or is there a quicker way? Sorry the only vehicle that's manual that I've drove is my dads jeep, and that only had like 170HP, so I never gave her.

Thanks a lot guys...

Carter
Don't think too much about it. A standard/manual is what it is. Believe me - you'll figure it out and get it - just don't be dopey about it. You'll find the sweet spot - again - that's half the fun
ctrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #37
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
After going thru my entire life with manual transmissions I just could not believe it when I got my 2004 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner Ext Cab. It was an auto and I really liked it. My earlier trucks and Jeeps all were manual and my VW Golf TDI is a manual. Decided I wanted to be spoiled and since I'm old(er), hehe 50, I wanted to not be shifting all the time, especially in grid lock traffic, so the auto did it for me. If I want manual I drive my VW!

Either way, you will love the car!
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
speedtrip

Drives: TriumphSpeedTriple, Ridgeline
Manual, dude. In the V6, it has a faster first gear or two (look up the wiki).

Also, I've heard of crooks breaking in to a car but were unable to drive it away because the car was a manual. Be part of a dying breed (at least in the US).
speedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #39
Rocketright

Drives: 2006 Acura RSX - S
Yea I saw a good video done by a kid and he mentioned that too. That your chances of someone breaking into your car do go down, as the majority of people have no idea how to drive a manual.

+1 For Manual.

Im definitely getting a manual, saved me 1k for my exhaust and I think it'll be funner.
Rocketright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #40
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
To me, shifting multiplies the joy of driving as I feel more connected to the vehicle and the whole experience. When I drive my wife's car (automatic), I comment that it's not as fun because you just "point and shoot".

Some people don't feel the same way about driving and would rather be relieved of the shifting task so they can think about other things or text or drink coffee or slam the dashboard to the beat of the music or whatever.

Does the automatic get 1 more mpg? Shave a few tenths off 1/4 mile time? I really don't know or care as those are not priorities for me.

For what it's worth, I think there's real street cred in knowing how to drive a stick.
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #41
Cmaro214

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT/RS Camaro "Blu Bruzr"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I am not sure I want a girl thats just into me for the camaro

But I wouldn't mind a gearhead for a girl
yeah i wouldnt mind one of these

VIN: 2G1FB1EV6A9178865
Cmaro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #42