Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Be Safe

Hoping that everyone here in the Houston area are safe. I've had water to my back door at least 5 times since Saturday. Every time the rain stops the water drains down. I live in a no flood zone and many friends that I know that live in no flood zones are flooded out and lost everything. Camaro5 friends please keep Texas in your prayers
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Man I feel for you guys down there I've been watching it on tv and it is crazy the amount of rain coming down. So if positive thoughts can improve the situation I've got your back! Be safe!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Dayton where I live is about I'm guessing is about 40 miles north east of Houston Dayton said Webster which is on 45 south headed toward Galveston both have gotten over 28 inches of rain according to the news that I have seen
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
curt.r

Drives: a Chevy
Be Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth331 View Post
Hoping that everyone here in the Houston area are safe. I've had water to my back door at least 5 times since Saturday. Every time the rain stops the water drains down. I live in a no flood zone and many friends that I know that live in no flood zones are flooded out and lost everything. Camaro5 friends please keep Texas in your prayers

A member on a different forum posted this picture of the storm
Prayers sent. Please be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - BBK LT Headers w/ High-Flow Cats, MRT v1 Axle-Back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, SLP 1" Drop Springs, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Drake Billet Shifter, NPP rear diffuser, B.E.S.T. Stainless Steel Quad Exhaust, Clear Smoked Side Markers, Anvil Notch Spoiler, SS Front Bumper, Heritage Grille, SLP front splitter
curt.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.r View Post
A member on a different forum posted this picture of the storm
Prayers sent. Please be safe out there.

You have to realize that many highways are designed to flood. To protect the buildings.

Better that people can't get to work than their homes flood.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 08-28-2017 at 01:26 PM.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
You have to realize that many highways are designed to flood. To protect the buildings.

Unfortunately, the highways are not enough. There is no place on earth designed to take this much water continuously for this long, and we're only halfway in. Harvey won't be out of the area until Friday, according to forecasts.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Ive taken snaps, i live by brazzos in sugarland , got about 5-6 feet before over flow starts, and they opened damns to flow into the river... so yeah plus rain. Streets been normal, no flood, but we moved a few furniture upstairs, hopping it wont happen. But yeah car and bike in garage as well.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Brazos has gators...

My Dad has registered 21" of rain at his house in Kingwood so far.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
curt.r

Be Safe

Quote:

Yes I do realize that those highways were designed to flood... but like MrChrisLS3 stated it is unfortunately not enough to protect the buildings. Sadly, people lost their homes in non flood zones and I'm sure getting to work is the least of their worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Unfortunately, the highways are not enough. There is no place on earth designed to take this much water continuously for this long, and we're only halfway in. Harvey won't be out of the area until Friday, according to forecasts.
Thank you, I could not have said it any better.

2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - BBK LT Headers w/ High-Flow Cats, MRT v1 Axle-Back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, SLP 1" Drop Springs, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Drake Billet Shifter, NPP rear diffuser, B.E.S.T. Stainless Steel Quad Exhaust, Clear Smoked Side Markers, Anvil Notch Spoiler, SS Front Bumper, Heritage Grille, SLP front splitter
Old 08-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.r View Post
Yes I do realize that those highways were designed to flood... but like MrChrisLS3 stated it is unfortunately not enough to protect the buildings. Sadly, people lost their homes in non flood zones and I'm sure getting to work is the least of their worries.

Thank you, I could not have said it any better.

I am a bit reluctant to ask, but are you a first responder?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Living in Florida, about 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, this is a major wakeup call. We have been very lucky for a while now.

Like everyone else, I really wish for the best for these people. Stay safe and as dry as possible Texans!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Just saw this, it gives a little perspective to what is happening in Houston and S.E. Texas

The thing with Harvey is that those other storms, made landfall did their thing and moved on. I lived in K.C. when Katrina hit, and remember within a few days, we got some rain from that Storm. The problem here is that there is a tropical depression off the Carolina coast that is creating pressure on Harvey that keeps him in place. Combined with high pressure from the north, Harvey is going back out to sea. When that happens, the storm may pick up moisture from the gulf and actually strengthen then hit land again.

Harvey was a bit of a surprise. It was tropical depression meandering in the south gulf waters. It eventually developed to a tropical storm, but all the forecast models had it weakening and landing in Mexico. It took a last minute turn to the north and ramped up to eventually a cat 4, though many thought it wouldn't get more than a 1 or 2. This led to two problems, first very little prep time and no one really knew for sure where it would land until mere hours before it did.

I've learned a lot about hurricanes in the past couple of days, certainly more than I ever wanted to. I'm lucky though, there are a lot of people not so lucky.

Last edited by MrChrisLS3; 08-28-2017 at 06:28 PM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
curt.r

Quote:
I am a bit reluctant to ask, but are you a first responder?
No sir I am not, but my hat goes off to everyone who takes on the career to help other people (policeman, firefighters, first responders, etc.). I don't think I could ever do their job... Why do you ask?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I got friends in 'nawlins and they're getting some heavy flooding too right now

Put those cars up on blocks as high as you can if you can fellas