Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-RN View Post
could it be swirl marks or what???
Before you take delivery see if you can swap it for a different colored Camaro that is easier to keep clean.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
That's the reasoning behind me asking my dealer not to clean my car when it arrived. Glad I did this now. The did offer me the use of their service bay over the weekend to wash and detail my car inside with heat. Pretty great of them I have said numerous times. I have nothing but good things to say about my buying experience with them. When I got to the service bay to clean my car I did find one of the Chenille cleaning mitts they use on the concrete floor. Glad I chose to clean myself.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
Mark25

Drives: 2001 Corvette, 2006 Mustang GT
I once owned a new '89 Black Mustang GT and I couldn't keep it detailed to my satisfaction...I traded it back in after 2 months for a dark red color.
You obviously will need to have the car detailed...however, be very careful on how they do the detailing...one inexperienced guy with a buffer can permanently ruin your finish and you'll see buffer marks all the time.
Sorry about your experience, but next time go with either a dark blue or red or gray...but never black...it's impossible to keep it looking showroom clean, unless you never drive it.
Black will always show every imperfection in the paint...you just can't get around it. And in the summer you can probably cook an egg on the hood.
Mark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
I have owned nothing but black cars for many years. And I can tell you you're fighting a losing battle with those swirl marks and fine scratches.

You will get them every time you wash the car. I made it a habit to use "Dri Wash and Wax" which was not only the easiest stuff to use, but the most effective. I have used it for over 15 years and I can tell you, the swirl marks will disappear. Not forever, but every time you use it.

You need to find old baby diapers to apply and remove the wax. They're the best because they don't make lint. You can do the entire car in 15 minutes once you get good at it. And you will end up using it every time you wash the car.

Actually, that product can be used even on a dirty car (you have to see it in action to believe that). Also, get yourself a California Car Duster - don't settle for a clone. That adds the finishing touch after waxing, and between washes.

My 2 cents from years of experience and a garage full of waxes that never worked as well....

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
When it comes back from the detailing shop, have them park the car directly in the sun and make sure that there are not swirl marks all over it.
Putting it in the direct sunlight won't show the real damage. Put that bad boy under fluorescent lights and you will be totally surprised what you will see. At one point after the stripes were painted on my car it looked awesome in the direct sunlight. I even showed it at a car show but when I put in under good fluorescent lights I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #20
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Well, I have a slightly different slant, which kind of goes along with the Zaino post above.

If you love the car, love the color (which I do since I own a black one also), take some time when you get your baby home, and polish, the car, consider using clay bar to smooth out any roughness you may be seeing.

Some good old elbow grease can do wodners. Whichever, polish and detail product you may decide to use.

But, hey, that's just me. I love black cars, and I know all too well how much of a labor of love they are.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
Putting it in the direct sunlight won't show the real damage. Put that bad boy under fluorescent lights and you will be totally surprised what you will see. At one point after the stripes were painted on my car it looked awesome in the direct sunlight. I even showed it at a car show but when I put in under good fluorescent lights I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!!!
you can't leave us. In the dark! What were you seeing?
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
Brown5150
#17,149

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
My car had swirl marks on it also. (CGM)They will buff out no problem.
With Black cars you get alot of swirl on it. No matter what you do No Car Wash, hand wash only...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
TN-RN

Drives: 1SS/RS black on black!
the dealership changed their mind and called me this morning to inform me they were going to send the car to a "guy" who is going to clay and detail the whole car and take care of the issue..so i will see around lunch time today!
TN-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i got a feeling my camaro came in too lol. my mom gave me a hint that my dad was going to surprise me..... lol
I have my adoption papers mostly filled out. Just need ur folks name and address. I will forward it overnight mail for signatures!
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
My 98 Z-28 was black. Here is what I learned. Never again! As good as the black looked on Chevy's web site last year, I remembered how quickly the black Z got swirled and scratched. It looked beautiful in the showroom but after one New England winter it looked like s**t. My 02 was pewter and looked as good the day that I traded it in seven years later as it did the day that I got it. My 2010 is ice silver metalic.
Amen to that. My '96 is black too and it's the last black car I will own. I really like Red Jewel Tintcoat, but wonder how it is with this issue. I think Silver Ice has to be the best color for hiding any swirls and light scratches.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
TN-RN, what’s the verdict on your detail situation? Did the dealership take care of the issue?
Krozzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #27
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Black looks cool when clean, but I ordered the CGM for this very reason. Black is just too hard to keep looking clean. But the black does look sweet.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I have owned a lot of cars and only 1 black in all. A 1992 Camaro and boy, did it look nice after a wash, in the shade, far away, and at night. After a wash, it only looked clean for 2 minutes before you start seeing dust. After wax job, only good for a couple of washes before you have to detail the thing again. It got to the point that I hated seeing it in sunlight because the swirls and scratches were always visible (except when freshly detailed). Never again. I love the color and always admire it but not for me. Too much time and effort to keep it looking nice.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote