Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Question From 2009 STi to 1LE?

Short story long, I rented a 2014 2SS for poops and giggles while out of town two weekends ago and wound up falling in love with the Camaro. It wasn't supposed to happen. For me the tipping point was the HUD and sound. It was so cool.

What happened next is that a week later I ordered a 2SS with the 1LE package, Recaros, and the dual mode exhaust after test driving a base 2SS and one with the 1LE package. I hated the stock 6 speed but loved the 1LE 6 speed. The throws were too long.

I currently have a 2009 STi. This is my second. I also had a 2004 and regret getting rid of that one. The seats were so much better than the 2009s. So my question is has anyone gone from a STi to a 1LE and how was it? Any regrets?
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE white
I've had two STIs('04 and '06) and two Evos(IX RS and X SE).

The 1LE makes you forget all about them, and I loved those cars- they're very special in their own way.

It postitively checks all the right boxes for someone who wants a very well-sorted car from the factory under 40k and makes all sexy noises to boot.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Does Evo X to a 1LE count?
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
No, it doesn't. The EVO X was not an "Evolution" by any means... 400 lbs heavier than the prior GSR, cheaper seats, cheaper interior, lost a trunk, aerodynamics lost in the front, half a second slower to 60 and to 1/4... How on earth could that be evolved? LOL No wonder Mitsu just killed production on the line.
Hmmm it was PLENTY fast at the track and had the grippiest seats I've ever sat in. Much better for track work than the Recaros in my 1LE. The Camaro is so different how it goes about it's business. There are things about the Mitsu I miss though.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Darwood

One thing I'm excited about is being able to do FS in autocross. The 2009 STi needed suspension modifications to make it like the 2004 which of course took me out of the stock class.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
I have owned an STi, and MR 8 Evo, and an MR X Evo...Yes the Evo X was slower 0-60 but if I am not mistaken it was proven faster on the track than its prior years...

I loved my Evo 8 but it was definitely nicer driving the Evo X as a DD...overall it felt more solid...

As for the 1LE...I enjoy driving it more than all of the above and could not be happier with my choice to purchase one...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
JambaJuiced

I hear you on the weight gain of the Evo...my fav was the Evo 9 which I passed on to get the X...

My only knock on my Evo X MR was the SST tranny...I did not care for it all that much along with the maintenance...I much prefer Manual Tranny over auto, even though I am sure it knows much better than me...and the GSR was only a 5 speed, plah! when you drive a lot on the hwy...

But hey at least we got to experience the pros and cons of these AWD cars...phenomenal cars too...but I love my 1LE
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I had a 2007 WRX that I had modified plenty. I loved that car. Sold it at the right time, and ordered my Camaro. Bought a 2009 Aveo while I waited for my new Camaro to show up. DAMN was that painful! lol It was worth it, though. I absolutely love this car, and I didn't even get the 1LE. (I'd have waited longer if I'd have known it was coming!)
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Darwood

I haven't been driving my STi much lately since I recently got into motorcycles. Anytime I can, I ride, and in Texas that's quite a bit of the year. I did drive the STi last night to get groceries and it just doesn't excite me anymore. I've been in an STi for 10 years now and it's probably time for something new. I never thought I'd get tired of it but I also never thought I'd be divorced so there's that too.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I went from a 2009 Lancer Ralliart to my Camaro 2SS/RS. So I kinda came from a WRX equivalent. LOL!

The upgrade was great and I have zero regret other than the Ralliart kicked butt in the snow!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I was cross shopping a 2013 STI amongst other rides last year before I discovered the 1LE.
Two very different automobiles, two different approaches, achieving quite possibly similar numbers on the track including the nurburgring.

Cracked ring lands fiasco on the STI 4 banger drove me off, right before I discovered the 1LE. I'm very satisfied with my decision.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
JambaJuiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
We found that the 5 speed in the GSR was stronger than the 6 speed in the MR for the EVO IX, I don't know if that actually holds true on the X or not. That said, they built the crappiest stock clutches ever for them intentionally because they'd rather you eat up a clutch vs. the trans - a $9000 component from the dealer. That was my one thing I hated about my IX. You dare not screw up your trans... That and the maint to keep it running tip top made it feel like paying for a Lamborghini (assuming you stuck with OEM parts). The true cost of operating a 1LE is substantially less IMO - stock to stock.
The same was true on the X, the GSR tranny was much stronger...and yes again on the $9000+ tag for the SST tranny replacement on the MR...

Happy that I owned a few AWD cars (that are within my budget) but have moved on to the 1LE and loving it
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
I went from a 2004 WRX that was prepped for autocross (STX Class) to a 2014 1LE. When I purchased my WRX it was a daily driver/weekend warrior. The last 4 years I had it, it was only used for autocross and track days, maybe 2,000 miles a year if that. With that in mind I didn't want to sink money in to a car that had some under body rust, and would have coast a small fortune to make it in to an STI. I wanted something out of the box that I was only going to use for autocross and track days. I've only had one autocross in it, but I love it! It was far more predictable then I though it was going to be, and the torque oh my god the torque. That's one thing that made me hate the WRX was the lack of torque with the 2.0, but love the STI because it had just the right amount of torque. My first track day will be this Sunday. Long story short, the 1LE is great, but it's not a daily driver unless you don't mind the ride (I don't, rides better then my WRX) and don't mind putting tires on it every 10,000 miles (if you're lucky enough to get them to last that long).