Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
6th generation Camaro VS 50th Anniversary Mustang

So both new generations of the natural rivals are expected to be launched in mid 2014.

Mustang is predicted to keep the same engine with a totally new european style look. Lean and light sporty car.

So far no indication on the Camaro 6th generation news leak.

What do you hope or think guys? Who is going to win the next battle ?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Wvlsxjunkie
^ Has LSX addiction

Drives: 2010 L99 SS
Ford has all but branded themselves the boost to win campaign in the last couple decades, and they make some nasty setups.
Gm has a winner with the lsx engines and will milk the heck out of that.

Status quo.
Wvlsxjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Driving a 6th gen in 2014? I didn't get that memo.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
If the mustangs are going to keep the same 5.0 engine, and they put the LT1 in the camaros.....then what? Lol
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Driving a 6th gen in 2014? I didn't get that memo.
You and I alike, we must be a year late to the party
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I hope you are comparing a 6th gen to the next gen Mustang. If you are its going to depend heavily on weight and gearing. If GM learned a few leasons with the 5th gen they will make the car under 3600lbs or at least as light as the new Mustang. They will also give you more gear options from the factory. I think the next DI Coyote will finally make as much power as the new GM engine but the new LT1 will make more torque so we will see.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Camaro will win.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
You and I alike, we must be a year late to the party
Well nothing official so far. Some argue that GM will not watch ford releasing the new mustang in mid 2014 without an action in 2015 while others believe that the 6th generation will be released 2016.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I hope you are comparing a 6th gen to the next gen Mustang. If you are its going to depend heavily on weight and gearing. If GM learned a few leasons with the 5th gen they will make the car under 3600lbs or at least as light as the new Mustang. They will also give you more gear options from the factory. I think the next DI Coyote will finally make as much power as the new GM engine but the new LT1 will make more torque so we will see.
News leaks talk about 5.0 mustang with independent suspension, new look, better quality materials, lighter weight and higher price. They aim to compete with the Germans. The Boss model is expected to discontinue!

As for the Camaro I heard that the SS 6.2 will continue and their will be a turbo charged model for the V6. Some expect the Z28 to be released too.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

The argument is whether GM is willing to listen to Camaro owners and fans or not ?

A number of articles show that Ford is listening to mustang customers and taking their tastes into consideration. While they aim with the new generation to re-design the Mustang to compete in Europe, they are very keen to maintain the american muscle icon for the sake of the US owners !
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
News leaks talk about 5.0 mustang with independent suspension, new look, better quality materials, lighter weight and higher price. They aim to compete with the Germans. The Boss model is expected to discontinue!

As for the Camaro I heard that the SS 6.2 will continue and their will be a turbo charged model for the V6. Some expect the Z28 to be released too.
I think ford is making a big mistake making the mustang more European. Although it is fine with me more people will buy the camaro because they want a muscle car.

Turbo v6 especially as a Z28 ill believe it when i see it.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon View Post
I think ford is making a big mistake making the mustang more European. Although it is fine with me more people will buy the camaro because they want a muscle car.

Turbo v6 especially as a Z28 ill believe it when i see it.
That is in one case only, if Camaro remains the same because so far I hear rumors on the 6th g to be developed from the 1st g.

I fear that GM will repeat Ford mistake with the 2005-2010 generation that came after the slim and sexy 1998-2002 mustang !!

Personally I prefer a developed 5th generation.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

I have heard the SS trim will be dropped to avoid confusion with the new SS car. I would hate to see the Z/28 return as the base V8.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:

Chevy will need to jump two generations with the materials in the Camaro interior. The Mustang is winning that racing 100% right now. Leave the plastic to the crappy Sonic...

Also the Boss was a two year run. Just like the original I think everyone needs to get that clear in their heads...

Quote:
That is in one case only, if Camaro remains the same because so far I hear rumors on the 6th g to be developed from the 1st g.

I fear that GM will repeat Ford mistake with the 2005-2010 generation that came after the slim and sexy 1998-2002 mustang !!

Personally I prefer a developed 5th generation.
I hardly believe that Ford made a mistake with the 5th gen Mustang. If they did, you certainly wouldn't be able to buy a Camaro or Challenger now.. Ford took a risk with the Retro theme and when people saw that it sold (GM and Mopar) they released their own retro cars (though I'd hardly call a Korean's interpretation of the Camaro retro).

Also the 5th generation Mustang is 2005-2014 not 2005-2010 (and actually 2005-2009). 2010+ was a Life Cycle Impuse update similar to what BMW does. There were a lot of changes made to the car but it's virtually the same design and the same goes for 1999-2004 MY Mustangs.

But for the original question. The current Mustang has the advantage of being able put more power to the ground than the Camaro due to the LRA having less drivetrain loss. The IRS will zap some of that advantage while also making for a better handling car.

If we take into account that the Alpha Camaro will likely weigh around the same as the current base Mustang (around 3400 lb for the V6 based on the ATS figures) and add on a bit for each of the performance based models. The SS should weigh slightly less than the Current GT and the ZL1 should be around the same or a little less than the current GT500.

I think considering the Mustang is already pulling 1.00 G in the Track Pack GT with a LRA, the Mustang will have a higher advantage considering it will weigh less and have IRS. The Beijing West Industries 3rd Generation Magnaride Suspension will have a lot less of an advantage when the competitor is riding on IRS as well. That being said Chevy is also letting Ford make the first move so they will have two extra years to try and show up Ford.

It will be more about styling in the 6th Generation in my opinion. The cars will likely perform very closely...

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 11-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote