Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Project: JLAudio Install + OEM HU

Notes:
-Drivers Side Sub Enclosure/Amp Rack will have to be custom built for a .625 cu feet box per 10w6v2.
-******** RCA adapter will be spliced into at the HU to provide for Cleansweep inputs.

Pretty straightforward install, if I handed a stereo shop these schematics they would see exactly what needs to be done. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Ocx; 09-05-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Not totally familiar with the Cleansweep but if you don't mind cutting the factory harness, you can save yourself some money by deleting the ******** harness. The Cleansweep will accept inputs direct from the deck and do it's thing. The Cleansweep does it's EQ thing on the inputs from the deck but doesn't do any EQ on the outputs, so no way to account for the acoustics of the car unless you add another EQ on the output side. If this is your direction, the Cleansweep is a very powerful component. IMO, the MS-8 or 360 is even more powerful in that it can account for the acoustics of the car in addition to cleaning up the factory HU output. The downside is expense and setup time. The MS-8 will do most of the setup for you, while the 360 really needs a pro with the correct equipment to measure the acoustics of the car.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Ocx

I purchased the ******** RCA harness to be able to get around splicing the factory wiring, this way should I choose to sell the vehicle I can easily restore all of the factory speakers to their original OEM configuration and state. This would also make installation very simplified reducing the cost of labor.

I looked at the MS-8 as a possible solution, but based on the price and the overall "quality" of the speakers/amps that I'm pushing it would've been overkill.

Since the Cleansweep will be in the trunk with all 4 channels being run from the HU to the CS, and then new speaker wires run to the Front doors from the amp,I don't see a need to buy the Tsunami Amp kit. The RCA cables will be less then a couple of feet, all the long wiring pulls will be speaker wire. I figure just buy a decent 1 Farad Cap and go from there.

The Cleansweep "flattens" the signal coming from the HU. I beileve you set all the paramters of your factory HU to default (0) levels and then make adjustments/calibrations on the CS when installing. After the CS installed and calibrated, you can then make adjustments to treble/mid/bass like you normally would on your factory HU.

JL Audio Cleansweep Install and Educational Video

Goals:
1. Retain factory wiring in case of the need to remove everything and sell the car.
2. Retain full functionality of factory HU.
3. Create the best possible sound without getting ridiculous in price.

Last edited by Ocx; 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
drpotter

Drives: 2012 SS Vert
Just added a JL 12 W6V2.....Sounds freakin awesome!! Still have to clean up the install but got the sub to work and it's hitting hard! Has anyone upgraded the rest of the speakers and kept with the BA amp? How does it sound? Or should I just replace all using the Clean Sweep like Oxc? I will be posting pics upon completion too. Check out my Garage for beginning of intall. Not sure how to post pics on the forum yet.
drpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpotter View Post
Just added a JL 12 W6V2.....Sounds freakin awesome!! Still have to clean up the install but got the sub to work and it's hitting hard! Has anyone upgraded the rest of the speakers and kept with the BA amp? How does it sound? Or should I just replace all using the Clean Sweep like Oxc? I will be posting pics upon completion too. Check out my Garage for beginning of intall. Not sure how to post pics on the forum yet.
If you're going to swap the speakers, then swap the amp. The amp isn't that strong where it can power aftermarket speakers adequately

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
drpotter

Thanks for the tip but not looking to invest lots of $ in the total system just yet. I have some extra speakers lying around from previous projects and was wondering if it would be worth the time of the install to swap out the speakers or if I should wait until I decide to drop the cash and go all in.

Eventually I will be switching all audio components out for aftermarket. I will just never understand why car manufactures don't install quality systems. They sure charge enough for the upgraded stereo!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpotter View Post
Thanks for the tip but not looking to invest lots of $ in the total system just yet. I have some extra speakers lying around from previous projects and was wondering if it would be worth the time of the install to swap out the speakers or if I should wait until I decide to drop the cash and go all in.

Eventually I will be switching all audio components out for aftermarket. I will just never understand why car manufactures don't install quality systems. They sure charge enough for the upgraded stereo!
Okay, let me rephrase that. Don't install aftermarket speakers without replacing the amp first. You run the risk of them sounding extremely bad because of the power output of the stock amp. I was thinking what you were thinking but I was told not to do it for that reason. So I'm about to buy my new amp and a sub for now. Then onto front speakers.

What they charge for the upgrades is sad really. You could get a decent sounding system for what they want for the upgraded system

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Ocx

Imagine the anxiety of having everything sitting in boxes calling out your name every night as you sleep. A younger me would have thrown all this into the car, jerry rigged it and let the perm-a-grin prevail. I'm a big believer in doing it right the first time, this lesson will prove invaluable throughout your life.

As I move toward installation I'll try to include as many photos as possible.
Here's a couple of threads I've used for inspiration (mostly to see how they Dynamat the vehicle )
Epic Camaro Build
World Champion Camaro Custom Install

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Ah man, I really don't need to be looking at this thread. Can't wait to see more!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I've never installed a Cleansweep, but don't you need to shape the audio after? How I understand it, the Cleansweep will give you a flat signal to clean up the wonky EQing modern headunits give you.

I'd think you'd need to install a DSP or EQ after or else you're dealing with just a flat signal? I guess some purists are into that, but I prefer a little shaping. Can the Cleansweep EQ the output as well or is it maybe built into your amp?

My setup goes HU -> MTX-RE-Q5 -> Audiocontrol EQX -> 4 and 2 channel amps for interior components and subs.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Ocx

Cleansweep Instructional Video
See 3:17 mark

From what I understand, and that ain't much, the Cleansweep will flatten the signal from the HU but still allow for tuning using the factory HU after the calibration has been completed.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
All my components are JL. C5's in front and VR 6.5's in rear deck. 2 w3's in trunk all connected to Jl amps. Just missing the MS8 yet and I'm set
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
The Cleansweep is designed to "flatten" the signal coming from the factory HU. It is also designed to sum those same channels. Some factory HU's do not have a full range signal on all channels, so the Cleansweep can account for this and sum the signals to derive at least 2 full range channels to send to aftermarket equipment. It does not allow for manipulation of the signal, i.e. "EQ" after the fact. A well designed car audio system will account for the acoustics of the car with proper crossover points and slopes as well as speaker placement and will require a minimum of adjustment. This can be attained by the tone controls of the HU to some degree. The factory HU in the Camaro is only 3 bands and the width of each band of adjustment is fixed. A DSP or aftermarket EQ will have many more bands of adjustment to account for the acoustics of the car. In some cases, up to 32 bands and the width of those bands is adjustable also. This can then be used to account for less than optimal placement of the speakers. A DSP can also do "time alignment" to compensate for the varying distances the the speakers my be from your ears. Nothing beats a properly designed and installed system, but sometimes we are forced to use less than desirable speaker locations unless we are willing to cut and modify the car. A properly tuned DSP can help in the regard. It can also be the last tuning element to get that last little bit out of a well designed and installed system.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
drpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Okay, let me rephrase that. Don't install aftermarket speakers without replacing the amp first. You run the risk of them sounding extremely bad because of the power output of the stock amp. I was thinking what you were thinking but I was told not to do it for that reason. So I'm about to buy my new amp and a sub for now. Then onto front speakers.
Thanks for the info. Should have figured the BA amp was crap when I saw the Sub behind the rear sear had such a small magnet and a paper cone! Looks like I will be swapping out all parts.

Ocx:
Looking forward to seeing your story unfold! Please post lots of pics! What's the saying? A picture is worth a thousand words? When it comes to DIY Audio I would say "A picture is worth a thousand dollars!". It saves at least that much in labor charges from your local install shop!