Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
VVT Cam .......... or ......... LS3 Conversion

Ok. I know this info is spread out all over the place but I want some opinions with the idea that it will be for me.

I may be doing the install myself.....

(In case anyone hasn't seen it, member robertway did a diy write-up that is second to NONE in scope, and thouroughness with easy to understand vid, text and pics. Fantastic job.)

I want to hear opinions on the pros and cons of a VVT cam and an LS3 conversion.

My relevent mods are catless long tube headers, (Borla, so 1 3/4 primaries) 2.5" exhaust (also Borla), Fastlane cai, Magnuson TVS2300 supercharger, and it's obviously dynotuned. Everything else is stock.

Obviously it's an L99.

I'm hearing conflicting ideas and possibilities. Until yesterday, I thought VERY few people were doing VVT cams.

Now, you'll need to know my goal with this.

This will be my last power mod. With respect to the engine, I won't be doing anything else. No NOS, no blower swap, no underdrive pulley, nothing.

My order of importance is power, then sound. I want as much power as I can get and not be rocking all over the place.

I'll do a stall, and possibly rear end gears later, but this is my last power mod.

So, opinions? Insights? Lessons? Any info I can get will be great. Including wether I should do it myself or not, and where to spend my money at.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
VVT cam from MAST
Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i am no expert, but i believe in doing the LS3 conversation, just makes things easier.

team LS3?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm doing the LS3 converstion. I didn't want to limit my cam options so much and I am happy to put the better lifters in my car. It makes it easier all the way around. I believe the the tune is far more important anyway and I have a great tuner.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
This will be an interesting thread to watch. About 3 weeks ago I was trying to make this same decision. But I ended up deciding to wait and do a cam at a later date.

At first I was leaning towads a VVT cam setup (Mast Motorsports) or comparable setup.
But then I thought I had a lifter issue and the heads were going to have to come off and the lifters replaced. So at that point I figured I might as well do the LS3 conversion so I would have more options in cams to use and I wouldn't have to worry about the AFM/VVT lifters, etc causing an issue some time in the future.

I know someone just recently had an issue with a VVT Mast Motorsports Cam setup on his supercharged L99.

I see if I can find the thread.

It was actually a broken value spring. Here's the thread. But I really like the stuff Mast Motorsports is putting out.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132873
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
team LS3?
Nope. It's like a butterfly. Yes, technicaly it's a larvea or whatever when it's in a cacoon, then it becomes a butterfly. BUT, it was always a butterfly. I'm still L99 becasue it was that way at birth.

(and we all know it's really about the tranny, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm doing the LS3 converstion. I didn't want to limit my cam options so much and I am happy to put the better lifters in my car. It makes it easier all the way around. I believe the the tune is far more important anyway and I have a great tuner.
If I do the install myself, It'll be easier to not do the conversion. Plus, if I find the right cam in VVT, then the number of cam options won't matter. I can only pick one. Could be I need to find the cam and THEN make the decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
VVT cam from MAST
But.... why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
This will be an interesting thread to watch. About 3 weeks ago I was trying to make this same decision. But I ended up deciding to wait and do a cam at a later date.

At first I was leaning towads a VVT cam setup (Mast Motorsports) or comparable setup.
But then I thought I had a lifter issue and the heads were going to have to come off and the lifters replaced. So at that point I figured I might as well do the LS3 conversion so I would have more options in cams to use and I wouldn't have to worry about the AFM/VVT lifters, etc causing an issue some time in the future.

I know someone just recently had an issue with a VVT Mast Motorsports Cam setup on his supercharged L99.

I see if I can find the thread.
Yes please. Find the thread.

More options in cams is good, but if my choice were found in a VVT cam anyway, then it woldn't matter. But I haven't really looked yet.

It's the specs that I don;t have a clue what means.

I'm basically mailing down the VVT or Conversion decision before going any further. Could be that I need to approach it from the other end.

I just want to get opinions and info first.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
You're going to get a ton of different opinions here, but I think with the blower you really have all the power you need. You can go to a smaller pulley and make more boost. Once your cam goes in it will drop your boost anyway so you'll need it.

I went with a Comp VVT cam because I really just wanted the sound. An LS3 conversion is more expensive as well, but if you're doing your own labor you'll save a bunch.

If I hadn't gone with a blower I would've gone with a larger cam and an LS3 conversion.

Just my opinion...since you have the blower already...go with a VVT cam (and a torque converter).
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Nope. It's like a butterfly. Yes, technicaly it's a larvea or whatever when it's in a cacoon, then it becomes a butterfly. BUT, it was always a butterfly. I'm still L99 becasue it was that way at birth.

(and we all know it's really about the tranny, lol)

If I do the install myself, It'll be easier to not do the conversion. Plus, if I find the right cam in VVT, then the number of cam options won't matter. I can only pick one. Could be I need to find the cam and THEN make the decision?

But.... why?

Yes please. Find the thread.

More options in cams is good, but if my choice were found in a VVT cam anyway, then it woldn't matter. But I haven't really looked yet.

It's the specs that I don;t have a clue what means.

I'm basically mailing down the VVT or Conversion decision before going any further. Could be that I need to approach it from the other end.

I just want to get opinions and info first.

Here's the thread I was talking about. He had a VVT cam setup and the car worked fine. But when he put a supercharger on his car he ran into some issues.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132873
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
But.... why?
Becuse I said so. And Greg Norris approves this.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This thread will be full of win... subscribed...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
You're going to get a ton of different opinions here, but I think with the blower you really have all the power you need. You can go to a smaller pulley and make more boost. Once your cam goes in it will drop your boost anyway so you'll need it.

I went with a Comp VVT cam because I really just wanted the sound. An LS3 conversion is more expensive as well, but if you're doing your own labor you'll save a bunch.

If I hadn't gone with a blower I would've gone with a larger cam and an LS3 conversion.

Just my opinion...since you have the blower already...go with a VVT cam (and a torque converter).
The TC is definitely something I will be doing down the road.

My car is a bit underpowered considering the mods. Blown with all the components and only 471rwhp. Ya, the wheels don't help, but guys with 22s have had better numbers. I'm not neccesarily chasing a number, because I wouldn't know what number to chase, but I do think I'm underpowered now, considering. Maybe my borla headers with the small primaries is hurting? Nto sure, but If I'm gonna do a cam, I want the max power benefit I can safely get.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:

My car is a bit underpowered considering the mods. Blown with all the components and only 471rwhp..
ya i agree, you only have like 30WHP on me. and you have a supercharger. you need a cam my friend.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Is your transmission tuned yet?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:

My car is a bit underpowered considering the mods. Blown with all the components and only 471rwhp. Ya, the wheels don't help, but guys with 22s have had better numbers. I'm not neccesarily chasing a number, because I wouldn't know what number to chase, but I do think I'm underpowered now, considering. Maybe my borla headers with the small primaries is hurting? Nto sure, but If I'm gonna do a cam, I want the max power benefit I can safely get.
Weren't there some issues with your tune? What PSI did you end up at?
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote