Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
dissitscesar

Drives: C63 AMG
Send a message via AIM to dissitscesar
Audio noob need help with sub install, what do i need.

I picked up 2 10'' kicker cvrs from my friend yesterday, he also threw in a generic 2000w amp and some wiring. I dont have a box for them yet, I want to buy individual boxes for each sub and put them across each other in my trunk.

The thing is the amp he gave me is huge lol. I want a clean setup with the least amount of wires showing. Is there any amps that are powerful enough to power both subs and replace the stock amp? I have the stock premium BA system and want everything to work with the stock radio. Any help and suggestions are appreciated, THANKS!!
dissitscesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
dissitscesar

anyone?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Mount the 2000w amp you have to the back seat so that it is out of the way. Then go to ********.com and order their aftermarket amp integration harness that allows you to integrate that amp to the BA amp that is already in your trunk. They also sell stealth sub box's on their site that sit on either side of the trunk like you are looking for. Wiring should be very minimul to run from the amp to the subs. The RCA cables will also be short as you will be running them from the BA amp to your new amp with this harness.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I'm sure this is not what you want to hear....but....

do you understand audio wiring? Have you ever done this before?...easy to do some damage if you don't understand this stuff....get some help if you are inexperienced for this...no one here can walk you thru a quality install with heat shrinks, proper connectors, etc...but if you have, the ******** harness is the only way to go, and an amp wiring kit from AMZN
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Cmlloveless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I'm sure this is not what you want to hear....but....

do you understand audio wiring? Have you ever done this before?...easy to do some damage if you don't understand this stuff....get some help if you are inexperienced for this...no one here can walk you thru a quality install with heat shrinks, proper connectors, etc...but if you have, the ******** harness is the only way to go, and an amp wiring kit from AMZN
Wrong... There are plenty of people here who could walk him through it. Its just a matter of willingness to do so as it would take a lot of typing to walk him through everything.

Reality is that wiring up an amp and 2 subs is really not difficult as it is a pretty basic set up. It might be different if he were looking for a competition set up, but for this purpose it is simple enough.

Power cable - run from battery power terminal to possitive input on amp
Ground cable - run from negative output of amp to a bolt that is grounded to the frame of the car.
Remote wire (small blue wire usualy) - run from the terminal between the power and ground on the amp to the remote wire output on the ******** harness.
RCA cables - run from the ******** harness to the RCA inputs on the amp (making sure lt and rt are connected to lt and rt).
Speaker wires - run from amp outputs to sub box terminal inputs and then from the sub box terminal to sub. Just make note that the pos and neg are connected properly to pos and neg of amp, sub box terminal, and subwoofers.

It literaly is that simple. He is not running anything that will require too much more than that. As long as the gain and bass boost are not turned up too high on this system I wouldnt even say that a capacitor is needed.

As far as connectores go, wring terminals can be crimped to the ends of the power and ground cables connected to the battery and car frame, the other end is left open to slide into the terminal on the amp. Just make sure you don't have any loose cables that might come in contact with each other so that you dont get a short. Heat shrink is nice and gives a cleaner look and covers open cables so that there is no chance of them touching each other, but it is not necissary for an install.

The one thing that most people do wrong is not hooking up the pos to pos and neg to neg, and with the ******** harness all the other wiring issues are taken care of for you so no worries there!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Good - then I nominate you!....

and that was my question - what experience does he have?....

I have walked many people thru projects before...and some I wish I had not, when I found out they did not own any heat shrink, a heat gun, crimpers and ring terminals and did not even know what size zip ties to buy...the point is some should get some help if this is foreign to them...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
dissitscesar

Yeah i have no experience with audio wiring i spend most of my time under the hood lol

Im going to look into the ******** harness and boxes ill keep yall posted if i have any other questions.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Cmlloveless

Heat shrink is not really required though. It's all about how you want it to "look". You could wire the entire thing without heat shrink and be just fine. As far as crimping ring terminals on the power and ground cables all you really need is a set of pliers and some strong hands... Just clamp them down tight. Obviously a crimping tool does a better job, but again is not necisarily required.

As far as wiring it correctly... As long as pos goes to pos, neg goes to neg, lt goes to lt, rt goes to rt, and remote wire goes to remote wire it should work out just fine. Wiring up a set of subs and an amp really is not all that difficult when you are doing a basic system to add some bass.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Cmlloveless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissitscesar View Post
Yeah i have no experience with audio wiring i spend most of my time under the hood lol

Im going to look into the ******** harness and boxes ill keep yall posted if i have any other questions.
The ******** harness takes all the guess work out of it for you. They plug and play. All the wires are labled so there is no guess work. Just attach the outputs from the harness to the inputs on your amp that corrispond. Then add power and ground to the amp from your battery and and speaker wires from the amp to the subs and your set.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
dissitscesar

Do I need the ******** harness to run the second amp and the 2 subs?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Cmlloveless

Yes and no. The ******** harness just allows you to easily add an aftermarket amp to the stock BA system you have without having to splice into the factory wiring and adding your own wire set up. So yes you will end up having to do on your own what that harness does for you in the end if you dont buy one. The only way around this is if you have an aftermarket head unit and you are not using the stock BA system.