Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
trganey

Drives: 1979 Z28-Retired, 2012 RS
Most officers would much rather do a stop on a vehicle with limo tint on the side glasses and no tint on the rear as opposed to the other way round. When an officer first gets behind you it's through the rear window that he is observing what is going on inside the vehicle. Things like how many occupants are inside, their seating position, posture or body position etc, etc. Ususally when you pull over you lower your side window to hand over your liscense and documents so the side tint is not in play. This is one of the reasons that I chose to put louvers on the rear instead of tint. When I get pulled over I will lower both the driver and the passengers windows, turn off the ignition and place my keys on the roof, hold my liscense and insurance card in my left hand while keeping both hands on the upper portion of the steering wheel until instructed otherwise. Then I'll be polite and pray for the best.
trganey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
agreed with all. It just depends on how strict the police are where you live. I have 10% and the legal limit here is 20%. Most cars around here are really dark so the police dont seem to care much. It is a risk however. One day I might just have to pay an $80 ticket or take off the tint. I am prepared to pay the ticket and roll the dice again.....
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
I'm in NJ and as one member posted it is illegal to have ANY tint on the front windows...that being said I've had 5% tints on my past 4 vehicles over the past 15 years and have never been pulled over or ticketed for them...depending on the officers in your area. Now not having a front plate is different , I've been pulled over 4 times in my SS, each time the officer ask me why I dont have one and I tell him the truth ..I can't bring my self to drilling in this beautiful car...every time same reaction, a laugh and complement on the car ..never ticketed yet, at least I find the officers with a sense of humor!

Sent from my iPhizzzone using Tapatalk
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
I live in NJ and I have 8% on the back windshield and the two corner windows. I love how it looks. I've been thinking about getting something much lighter on the side windows (doors), but I haven't done it yet. I really don't want any "passing inspection" problems, or to get pulled over all the time, so I may not do it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWave View Post
I see many Camaros with the side windows tinted. But when I asked my parents and my brother-in-law who is a cop, they all told me its illegal to have your front side windows tinted. well the Camaro only has 2 side winows. I dont think anyone would tint those small back ones. waste. anyone know anything on this? Im in California. so I duno if the law is different, I couldnt find anything on the web about it.
First off....lol

Second....in all seriousness. Yes, in most states Tint is illegal, you will need to do some research on your own and see your state's laws. In PA, they have it figured that any type of tint is illegal. Anything that restricts more than 30% of light is illegal. However, that means you couldn't use any tint. I ran 35% tint all around (sides and back window) on my Genesis Coupe and never had an issue with it. I will be running 20% in the Camaro when it comes in the spring. In PA also, tint is a secondary offense, which means if you don't give them a FIRST reason to pull you over, they can't give you a hard time about your tint.

Also, the Camaro has 4 side windows. The little ones are there. And it wouldn't be a waste to tint them, IMO, it would look half a$$'d to only tint the large windows and not do the smaller. Its a uniformity look thing. However, if its your car, do as you choose.

Back window should be tinted too if tinting the side windows......IMO
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
Earl
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trganey View Post
Most officers would much rather do a stop on a vehicle with limo tint on the side glasses and no tint on the rear as opposed to the other way round. When an officer first gets behind you it's through the rear window that he is observing what is going on inside the vehicle. Things like how many occupants are inside, their seating position, posture or body position etc, etc. Ususally when you pull over you lower your side window to hand over your liscense and documents so the side tint is not in play. This is one of the reasons that I chose to put louvers on the rear instead of tint. When I get pulled over I will lower both the driver and the passengers windows, turn off the ignition and place my keys on the roof, hold my liscense and insurance card in my left hand while keeping both hands on the upper portion of the steering wheel until instructed otherwise. Then I'll be polite and pray for the best.
And if this doesn't work you can always get out, hand the officer a tube of KY, drop trou and bend over.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
In my state 35% on the windows & a 6" or less brow is legal, anything else is illegal. I have illegal 20% tint all the way around (including the small windows, y wouldnt u tint those?) and an 8" brow. If I get a ticket for tint so be it, I know its illegal but around here not many cops r big about pulling u over for tint. Ive always had 20% tint on all my cars anc nvr had a problem but I did get a tint ticket in GA driving my bf's charger w 20%. I think it depends on how strict ur town is if u can get away w it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
This!

Out in the county or on an interstate not as much, unless they are looking for probable cause to stop you and look for more violations....like drug trafficking.

Just check your state's laws and you'll be happy you did.
oh great, now I have to worry about my drug trafficking also. Will this day get any worse?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
tint values state-by-state. As someone mentioned earlier, it's usually just a PC stop to find bigger things. However you may risk the ticket even if everything else checks out. Many agencies have tint meters now too..

FLorida is 35%... I have 5% on rear and sides and 50% on entire windshield... so far so good!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
In Arkansas it is 35% on the drivers and passengers side, any on the sides and back. I had 3% all the way around on my Maxima and never got stopped for it. I usually go 20% on drivers and passengers and 5% on the rest now.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #25
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
One more thing...I have not tinted my SS yet because I am undecided on what I actually want. It seems as though they attract enough attention without anything else.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
agreed with all. It just depends on how strict the police are where you live. I have 10% and the legal limit here is 20%. Most cars around here are really dark so the police dont seem to care much. It is a risk however. One day I might just have to pay an $80 ticket or take off the tint. I am prepared to pay the ticket and roll the dice again.....
Where did you get your tint and how much did u pay? Im thinking of goin to lomas glass and tint but the darkest they have is 20%, even aster i offered to pay cash. Im not wanting to pay a bunch, money is tight rite now but i stil want some privacy while in my car

Sent From My Droid
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
So what happens if your tint is legal in your state but you are driving trhough a state with different laws????????????
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
So what happens if your tint is legal in your state but you are driving trhough a state with different laws????????????

Sent From My Droid