Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
^^^ I think it's Vladimir ^^^

Lmao you guys are too much
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
theblueSS

Drives: midnight blue 2010 m6 ss ls3
how much are you going to be paying for the Headman shorty headers, because stainless works has stainless power long tubes starting for $699.
theblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Hi, I am putting on a pair of Headman shorty headers on my 2011 ss ls3 and high flow cats. My question is do i remove the stock exhaust and the stock cats in one unit,or do i take them apart? And when i am putting on the shorty headers do i put them on first and then the high flow cats? Thanks Mark
I think the shorty/LT debate is covered just fine so I will just answer the questions. First, you do not have to remove the exhaust to install the headers. You just need to remove the stock manifolds and cats. Second, I suggest that the stock manifolds and cats be taken out as one unit unless you have a lift and all the variations of different tools. I used jack stands in my garage and it would have been a lot more hassle to remove the cats first. As for the shorty install (if you still do it after reading all the responses...lol), I think it might be easier to assemble the cats to the headers before installing in the car for the same reason I suggested removing them together; the location where the cats bolt to the stock/shortys is not the easiest to get to once they are in place.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I think the shorty/LT debate is covered just fine so I will just answer the questions. First, you do not have to remove the exhaust to install the headers. You just need to remove the stock manifolds and cats. Second, I suggest that the stock manifolds and cats be taken out as one unit unless you have a lift and all the variations of different tools. I used jack stands in my garage and it would have been a lot more hassle to remove the cats first. As for the shorty install (if you still do it after reading all the responses...lol), I think it might be easier to assemble the cats to the headers before installing in the car for the same reason I suggested removing them together; the location where the cats bolt to the stock/shortys is not the easiest to get to once they are in place.
Finally some one who is not a self righteous and actually ANSWERS the question. I agree RJT. It's a lot easier to remove and install both units as a whole. This also allows you to ensure the gaskets are aligned properly and will help prevent them from leaking or blowing. A problem I had with my JBA shorts and h/f cats.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
No doubt long tubes are the way to go for maximum power. But I have a hard time accepting the claims that shorties are slowing a car down .6 seconds in the 1/8 mile. If shorties are so bad, why is GM using a shorty type design on the ultra trick LS7?
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
No doubt long tubes are the way to go for maximum power. But I have a hard time accepting the claims that shorties are slowing a car down .6 seconds in the 1/8 mile. If shorties are so bad, why is GM using a shorty type design on the ultra trick LS7?
Because people simply repeat what they've heard...even if there is no sound proof. There are a lot of people who have posted positive results with ST headers. The negatives to ST headers is that it is the same amount of work to install LT headers and the cost of HF cats with ST headers is pretty much the same as a LT set-up with HF cats. And both will require a tune anyway. So if you simply went with ST headers and kept the rest of the exhaust stock then you'd probably get minimal gains. But for all the people who say this, and all the ridiculous dyno tests out there, nobody has done a dyno to prove it. We can test every CAI on the planet back to back to back to back...but nobody can one ST to stock manifold dyno.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Dodge challenger SRT8 also has shorts from the factory and only 2 cats. Shorts are just one of the C5 no no's. A fact that remains because 95% of people who bought shorts did nothing to the cats. But I get tired of explaining the details to the blind and deaf. IMO the op is doing it right and he will be pleased with his results.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #22
jgalewsk

Drives: 2013 Summit White Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin_2SS View Post
Dodge challenger SRT8 also has shorts from the factory and only 2 cats. Shorts are just one of the C5 no no's. A fact that remains because 95% of people who bought shorts did nothing to the cats. But I get tired of explaining the details to the blind and deaf. IMO the op is doing it right and he will be pleased with his results.
Agreed. JBA shorties and high flow cats here. Love em!
jgalewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
It was posted above that no matter if you go LT or Shorties with HF cats, you will require a tune. Is this really true ( I just ordered JBA shorties with the HF cats)?
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #24
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag107 View Post
It was posted above that no matter if you go LT or Shorties with HF cats, you will require a tune. Is this really true ( I just ordered JBA shorties with the HF cats)?
Depends. Some people never get a CEL some get one within a week. But you don't need a tune with shorties.