Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
BottleFEED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Street scene lower grille ducts ?

Anyone have these done? Looking for some pics and wonder how easy is it to install. I'd like to keep my factory grill an add them in. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I just ordered a set! Wondering the same thing!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Jared91

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/M6
First I've even seen them before. Looks pretty cool.
Jared91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
BottleFEED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I just ordered a set! Wondering the same thing!
Post up some pics when you get them on I am debating on ordering them. I don't really wanna take my front end off to put on 2 simple ducts... Wondering how they will look as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I put them in over a year ago and love the look. I recently installed a couple of LED strips in them too (I swapped out the DRL bulbs since these pics to make them more bright and more closely match the LED's). It wasn't that bad taking off the front fascia. Then you take the lower grille out of that and eyeball where the ducts are going, especially the inside angle, measure, eye ball and measure again, then make the cuts in the grille. You put it back into the fascia, reassemble it on the car and then glue/tape in the ducts.

Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
i have the ducts as well.. im home on leave now so no pics of my car until next week. the car looks great with them.. very mean. as far as placing them in i have a suggestion. the 3m tape provided with them is garbage. its too thick and barely sticks. for a car going high speeds its better safe than sorry (use something else)

now on to the thick part.. i wanted these vents completely flush with my bumper. realizing that anykind of 3m tape i got no matter how thin was a nightmare and wouldnt end up flush.

i then tried the glue/tape. it went in flush and seemed sturdy. after about 2 weeks i went over a speed bump at a turtle pace and one popped out. lucky i didnt run it over.

so what i did was went to lows and got some JB weld automotive puddy. shaped it exactly around the vent (thinly so its flush) and let it set for 30 mins. months later and i would have to hook an ox to the duct to take it out.
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
tcalh1

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I have them. I didn't want to cut up the bottom grill and I wanted something to match the Heritage grill, so I bought the grill with it.
I bought some 3M body tape and ended up using it. The tape that comes with it is garbage.
Attached Images

tcalh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy View Post
i have the ducts as well.. the 3m tape provided with them is garbage. its too thick and barely sticks. for a car going high speeds its better safe than sorry (use something else).
now on to the thick part.. i wanted these vents completely flush with my bumper. realizing that anykind of 3m tape i got no matter how thin was a nightmare and wouldnt end up flush.
i then tried the glue/tape. it went in flush and seemed sturdy. after about 2 weeks i went over a speed bump at a turtle pace and one popped out. lucky i didnt run it over.
Not sure why you think the tape that comes with the ducts is garbage. It's 3M attachment tape. It's not too thick either; my ducts sit pretty darn flush. It holds well also. Did you alcohol-prep the surfaces and use the adhesion promoter (little tube) they send with the ducts? Mine have been on the car for well over a year in all kinds of conditions (below zero and upper nineties, snow, ice, whatever) and they're still in there securely.
Here's a pic from shortly after I installed mine (kind of dark).

Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have these as well, but not yet installed. Looking for some input on how to measure the bottom grille for cutting to fit. Anybody?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
I have these as well, but not yet installed. Looking for some input on how to measure the bottom grille for cutting to fit. Anybody?
That part was tricky and a little nerve-wracking. IIRC, after I took the front fascia off but before I removed the lower grille I laid the ducts on it from the front and had to just eyeball where the cut had to be made and at what angle. Mine ended up coming out perfect as, when the ducts were installed, the "fins" on the lower grille kind of go behind the outer edge of the ducts and very nearly rest against the inner edge/body of the duct so that when you look at the car from the front the grille "fins" look like they extend past the outer edge of the ducts. Make sense? My only advice is to be conservative with your cuts and if you have to trim them a little more a second time that's OK, preferrable to cutting off too much the first time. This close up pic shows what I'm talking about (keep in mind I just added the LED strips about a week ago; separate discussion).
All in all it's really not that difficult of an install.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
These are very easy to install!

Street Scene is our Sister company!

PM or Call me with any questions!

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
These are very easy to install!

Street Scene is our Sister company!

PM or Call me with any questions!

Thanks

JT
In earlier posts I've tried to describe what is entailed in installing the ducts into a stock lower grille. I wouldn't call it "very easy" but certainly not overly difficult. You just have to take your time.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Does anyone have a clear closeup of how the stock grill mates up with the installed ducts. I'm not sure if I should cut it flush with the duct edge or behind it. The directions don't mention anything about how to cut the stock grill. Figures!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #14
kraut1971
BITCHN Camaro

Drives: SOLD! Back in the looking zone...
So here's a follow up question on this older thread: When removing the stock lower grille, you lose half the attachments for the front bumper cross-support housing. Should this cross-support be entirely removed and left off when installing new Street Scene lower grille and ducts? Or should you just keep the cross-support partially attached when reassembling the front clip back onto the vehicle?