Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-20-2015, 03:48 AM   #1
IcedBee

Drives: 2013 Europe Summit White
Install 1LE splitter without mounting kit?

Hi all

I can get a used 1LE splitter but without the mounting kit or let's say the mounting brackets are already used so the "alignment tabs" are already removed.
I assume it's impossible to position them correctly without these tabs, right?

Or did somebody mount that splitter without the brackets? So just bolt it directly to the splitter with the 8 holes in the back and the 4 in the front. Or will this result in leaving some spaces especially on the side of the splitter?

Or can the mounting kit be ordered separately? If yes, does anybody have a part number for that?
IcedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
There is no "4 in the front", the 4 holes in the front are just access panels for the final 4 rivets that go into the brackets.

Yes the brackets are 100% necessary, you will have trouble aligning, and again, there is nothing to rivet through on the splitter itself, besides those 8 in the back.

The mounting kit may be able to be ordered separately, it comes in its own bag, so that definitely seems possible. I got mine from someone, new in the box, that they didn't want so I cant help you there.

So if you just did the 8 in the back, it would hang off. If you didn't put the brackets on, the splitter would have nothing to mount to, and you would have to drill new holes to put rivets in, and the front would be supported/held to anything.

You could try double sided tape, but then you would have a gap.

Using anything but the GM mounting brackets would probably look crappy.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The brackets are kind of self explanatory they only fit one way and you can get a idea just by playing around with it, theres a left and right and center its not brain surgery......
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
IcedBee

thanks for your answers

@vroomapunk:
behind these 4 holes in the front there are brackets with a rectangular opening where the rivet would go through. So I would just put a bolt there (drill a hole into the fascia) with a washer so then at least at these 4 positions it should hold up nicely without the mounting bracket... or did I miss something?
here you can see these brackets I mean where I could put a bolt through into the fascia:
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/P1010334.jpg

Only missing rivet/bolt would then be on the side ends of the splitter. But there I could also drill an additional hole for a bolt on each side.

Other option would be to snap the front mounting brackets into the splitter, align the splitter on the fascia, drill through the 4 openings and bolt the mounting bracket on. Then remove the splitter again and put a bolt / rivet to the remaining positions of the mounting bracket - with this I could possibly properly align the bracket without these alignment tabs.

Then I just miss the fixation on the sides of the splitter... I just don't know If there is any chance to position the side mounting brackets without the alignment tabs on it... any idea?

@ olblue75
Would be no issue if these alignment tabs were not already removed... without them I have no reference where to place these mounting brackets.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Didn't realize you had the brackets, but without the tabs that show where they go. Hmmm. it would definitely be tough to get them where they need to go without the tabs that line up with the bumper lines.

The front bracket is two pieces that snap together, you should be able to get this one very close, by eyeing it up (without the locator tabs).

When installing the side brackets, you actually have to use a paper template, and drill the hole first, then put the bracket on.
So, you can at least get the one hole perfect, then eye up the other two on each side. All you need to do is find a copy of that template.

The splitter and brackets do have some wiggle room, so you don't need to be 100%, but it could be a PITA to get on if its not all right.

Your comment about the bolt in the front 4 spots, it would be kinda poopy to put a bolt through a rectangular port, that isn't meant to hold the whole splitter up, that part isn't all that thick. Also, you may not be able to get on the backside to add a nut, so you would have to use a screw (again, seems kinda crappy).

If you have the brackets, definitely use them. Think about how much this thing will want to vibrate, and the downforce it takes at 100mph or 120mph. Needs to be on there pretty good.

Long story short, its not impossible without the locator tabs. You will need the paper template. And it would help you enormously to find a picture of a car with a splitter, but with a splitter taken off, so you can reference where the brackets are under there.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
IcedBee

thanks again for your help.
Luckily I have the paper template

So I will try to somehow figure out the location of the mounting brackets if I can't get a new one.. I am just afraid that if I mess it up I have quite many more holes in my bumper than anyway needed

so if somebody has a picture of the mounting brackets installed, I would be very happy
Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedBee View Post
thanks again for your help.
Luckily I have the paper template

So I will try to somehow figure out the location of the mounting brackets if I can't get a new one.. I am just afraid that if I mess it up I have quite many more holes in my bumper than anyway needed

so if somebody has a picture of the mounting brackets installed, I would be very happy
I'm in the same boat..if you figure it out plz let me know..
Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
anyone happen to know the part # for the kit to attach the splitter to the bumper?

i cant seem to locate it.. i know i saw it somewhere!!

thanks

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote