Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Mopar or No Car till 2010

Drives: Dodge Charger SE 3.5
shitty sounding exhausts... any good ones?

In the Dodge world, it seems that Dodge are the only ones who know how to make an exhaust sound good. Manual trans Challengers sound great from the factory and fantastic with resonators removed or replaced with flowmasters. Almost every aftermarket exhaust I've heard has sounded like garbage. The companies blame it on cylinder deactivation... but they sound like shit even with MDS disabled. More likely, the exhaust co. has no idea what it's doing.

Here's what a good exhaust sounds like:

Yes a lot of it is the hot cam but the pipes lets a lot of valve noise through not buzzy shitty resonance.

Here's what a stock Challenger exhaust sounds like with the resonators replaced by flowmaster ripoffs.

A bit more bass but a very clean, boner-inducing, almost carburetor-like sound.

So, are there any exhausts for the SS that sound good in a similar way?
65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
If you're liking the vettes sound, I'd say longtubes, no cats, stock catback, and a cam

and sorry, but stock mustangs sound way better than any dodge from the factory besides maybe a viper.

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
If you're liking the vettes sound, I'd say longtubes, no cats, stock catback, and a cam

and sorry, but stock mustangs sound way better than any dodge from the factory besides maybe a viper.
I think the mustang one of the best sounding stock cars on the market, idunno if you can find a bad sounding exhaust for the 5th gen maro tho
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
From the sound clips I've listened to with Borla, Corsa, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow, I liked Magnaflow's 3" stainless competition series cat back with 4" tips. I've had Magnaflow on 2 cars before. Everything else was too quiet, too crackly, too much like stock. It has an aggressive deep rumble, reduced back pressure, straight through linear mufflers. Check out the sound clip to see if it interests you. It sounds better and louder in person. Got a sweet note to it.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/dom...maro16483.html
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Demo Dude

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM Blk Stripes

This is the same exhaust I have on my car. It sounds awesome, kinda loud but not too loud in the car. Its made by Stainless Works.http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php
Demo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Here's another Stainless Works. 3" offroad mufflers system.

The toughest part of these videos is the quality of the microphone. This was off a cell phone so the microphone attenuates heavily.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Demo Dude

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM Blk Stripes
From what I have seen out there, the quality of Stainless Works craftmenship is un-matched. They make the whole system, from the headers all the way to the polished tips. So the system bolts up without any problems at all.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
best exhaust i've heard is the noweeds diverters....granted not a "real" exhaust "system" but sounds the best and you can change how much sound you want.

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo Dude View Post

This is the same exhaust I have on my car. It sounds awesome, kinda loud but not too loud in the car. Its made by Stainless Works.http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php
That's awesome with the huge spinout, redlining it with the window sticker,onstar tag, and temp tag still on it! great sounding exhaust nonetheless
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Mopar or No Car till 2010

Drives: Dodge Charger SE 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
From the sound clips I've listened to with Borla, Corsa, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow, I liked Magnaflow's 3" stainless competition series cat back with 4" tips. I've had Magnaflow on 2 cars before. Everything else was too quiet, too crackly, too much like stock. It has an aggressive deep rumble, reduced back pressure, straight through linear mufflers. Check out the sound clip to see if it interests you. It sounds better and louder in person. Got a sweet note to it.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/dom...maro16483.html
Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo Dude View Post

By far the best I've heard so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I listened to everything I could find clips of and almost got the Borla but decided on the Zoomer's exhaust. It has the Borla growl but with a bit more bite to it. This clip is pretty darned close to how mine sounds. In person it has a bit more "presence" and sharpness to the tone. Sounds just fantastic when you get on it; smooth and powerful not ratty or raspy.

Ok at speed, awful at idle and low revs. This is the kind of buzzy crackling note I dislike.

Compare:

-- same car on dyno

This is the kind of note I'm looking for.
65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
formaxboxers

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
This is what I've got for my 2010, it's the best sounding exhaust that I've found, IMO. The Solo Mach-X. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42318

Got screwed by original dealer in Eufuala, Oklahoma on November 3, 2009.
Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
formaxboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
LG Motorsports longtube headers and exhaust...

RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
In the Dodge world, it seems that Dodge are the only ones who know how to make an exhaust sound good. Manual trans Challengers sound great from the factory and fantastic with resonators removed or replaced with flowmasters. Almost every aftermarket exhaust I've heard has sounded like garbage. The companies blame it on cylinder deactivation... but they sound like shit even with MDS disabled. More likely, the exhaust co. has no idea what it's doing.

Here's what a good exhaust sounds like:

Yes a lot of it is the hot cam but the pipes lets a lot of valve noise through not buzzy shitty resonance.

Here's what a stock Challenger exhaust sounds like with the resonators replaced by flowmaster ripoffs.

A bit more bass but a very clean, boner-inducing, almost carburetor-like sound.

So, are there any exhausts for the SS that sound good in a similar way?
If you would read the info and not be so quick to assume we dont, that dodge challenger has "Removed the factory resonators and replaced the factory mufflers with Jones Full Boar Performance Mufflers."

NEW MUFFLERS! Lol that changes almost everything and he might not have cats. Look up QTP electric cut outs for 2010 camaro on youtube. Better then any dodge you will ever see.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
DMAX

Drives: 01 silverado 2010 2SS/RS Sim
Custom Tubes Inc 3'' cat back with DT shorty headers
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote