Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #1
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Goodyear Eagle F1 Super car 3 use on a cold track.

Ok track rats I've been trying to find threads on using these tires for a track day with a day time temp of probably a low of around 40 and a high of around 50.

I couldn't find anything about track use in these temps. I have my first track day on January 2nd here in Vegas. And it won't be getting warm here. I know the tires will warm up with use but I'm not sure how long or how many laps it will take or if they will actually be able to get up to a warm reading.

Im a car track newbie so I'm sure it will take me a few sessions to get up to some decent laps. I will set the tire pressure to 28 as per the performance supplement.

If any of you have used these tires in these temps I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'd start at higher pressure, perhaps 30-32PSI as they won't increase as much at lower temps. I would say depending on track, it will take 2-3 laps more to come up to temp than usual. At least 6-8 min of "hard" driving.

Be careful though, because these (and many other Extreme Performance tires) have little grip in the cold compared to warm grip. So you will slide around a lot more in the first few laps than towards the end of the session. But when they come up to temp they will bike hard, regardless of ambient temp.

EDIT: I just noticed you're talking about 50F. My notes apply more to temps in the 30s and 40s. 28psi cold will be a good starting point.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12-16-2021 at 10:23 AM.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I would think that the recommended cold pressure of 28psi would be better since a lower pressure will work the sidewall more, resulting in a faster temperature gain. Getting heat in your brakes is important too as that heat will also work into the tires.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I set my PB at The Ridge with these tires when it was 50 degrees out, perfect car weather. I use 32-33 HOT as my reference, typically starting out at 26psi cold. They are usually good within 2 laps.....

Ken
khcoaching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Desert1LE

Drives: Chevy Silverado, Camaro, Traverse
Drive REALLY slow until the tires and track are warm. You will slide when turning and braking. Even when tires are hot, if the track is cold, you will still have less grip.
Desert1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just did a track day on sunday and it was 40 degrees in my first session i usually do 1 warm up lap then 2nd lap is about 75% of full pace

well i did decided to do 3 warm up laps and still went off in my 4th lap aka 1st hot lap

they arent as bad as supercar 3rs obviously but i would be very carefull in the 1st session until the tires are warmed up and the ground/sun is warmed up also

i started first session at 30psi then dropped down to 28 later in day
Old 12-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I set my PB at The Ridge with these tires when it was 50 degrees out, perfect car weather. I use 32-33 HOT as my reference, typically starting out at 26psi cold. They are usually good within 2 laps.....

Ken
I was inadvertently using around 33psi hot (at the end of sessions) as my target due to a tire pressure gauge that reads 1.5psi higher than actual and I prematurely corded the outside edge of two different front SC3 tires with -2.4 front camber, one at COTA and another at NOLA. My inputs may have been partly to blame along with not rotating the front tires part of the way through each event but I didn't have that problem again after adjusting my hot target to around 34-36 hot. I have been back to NOLA twice since then and it didn't negatively impact my lap times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i would be very carefull in the 1st session until the tires are warmed up and the ground/sun is warmed up also

i started first session at 30psi then dropped down to 28 later in day
For a 20 minute session, I agree that starting at 29 or 30psi cold might be better if it is 40 degrees outside and expect to let some more air out after the first session.

Agreed, there is a noticeable difference in grip if it is sunny vs. cloudy on a cool or cold day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1LE View Post
Drive REALLY slow until the tires and track are warm. You will slide when turning and braking. Even when tires are hot, if the track is cold, you will still have less grip.
I would have to disagree with driving really slowly. That will barely put any heat into the tires and likely waste a lot of your session. You can still safely go fast on the straights. I recommend somewhat reduced pace on the out lap and first full lap but lots of hard straight line braking from as high of a speed as possible will warm the fronts up faster and a good amount of g forces in the turns (accounting for somewhat reduced track grip due to cold temperatures) will help with warming up the rears.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 12-17-2021 at 08:52 AM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
I will keep this all in mind when head out on the track. Thanks for the reply’s.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I was inadvertently using around 33psi hot (at the end of sessions) as my target due to a tire pressure gauge that reads 1.5psi higher than actual and I prematurely corded the outside edge of two different front SC3 tires, one at COTA and another at NOLA. My inputs may have been partly to blame along with not rotating the front tires part of the way through each event but I didn't have that problem again after adjusting my hot target to around 34-36 hot. I have been back to NOLA twice since then and it didn't negatively impact my lap times.

For a 20 minute session, I agree that starting at 29 or 30psi cold might be better if it is 40 degrees outside and expect to let some more air out after the first session.

Agreed, there is a noticeable difference in grip if it is sunny vs. cloudy on a cool or cold day.

I would have to disagree with driving really slowly. That will barely put any heat into the tires and likely waste a lot of your session. You can still safely go fast on the straights. I recommend somewhat reduced pace on the out lap and first full lap but lots of hard straight line braking from as high of a speed as possible will warm the fronts up faster and a good amount of g forces in the turns (accounting for somewhat reduced track grip due to cold temperatures) will help with warming up the rears.

yup it was sunny out all day until last session but still cold haha all good car is fine
Old 12-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
For reference, when I drove VIR for the first time in March (NASA HPDE3) it was sunny with a temperature of 40°F outside for the first session. I started at 29-30psi cold and reached 34-35 hot in the ~20 minute session according to the PDR data with the first few laps being pretty slow due to my inexperience with the track and others in front of me also going slowly. I was also in PTM Sport 1 which I don't usually run unless I am at a new track...running a less aggressive PTM mode (or traction/stability control fully off) might have warmed up the rear tires faster by allowing for more sliding but the driver would need to be comfortable catching slides. Around 4 cars went off track in that session though which was more than the average for the day's other sessions.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #11
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I have run mine for a weekend at Roebling Road when the ambient was 35F for the 1st session. Started at 29psi and hit the 35psi target by the end of the session. Just let them come up slowly before I went ham. They did great.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
Ok track rats I've been trying to find threads on using these tires for a track day with a day time temp of probably a low of around 40 and a high of around 50.

I couldn't find anything about track use in these temps. I have my first track day on January 2nd here in Vegas. And it won't be getting warm here. I know the tires will warm up with use but I'm not sure how long or how many laps it will take or if they will actually be able to get up to a warm reading.

Im a car track newbie so I'm sure it will take me a few sessions to get up to some decent laps. I will set the tire pressure to 28 as per the performance supplement.

If any of you have used these tires in these temps I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!
I still don't get why Chevrolet put a track tire on a street car. It works great at the track but is suicidal on the street.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
GRIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I still don't get why Chevrolet put a track tire on a street car. It works great at the track but is suicidal on the street.
Because you always give up something to get maximum performance. And the people who are willing to pony up $7000.00 more for the 1LE package are willing to put up with poor rain and cold performance.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Because you always give up something to get maximum performance. And the people who are willing to pony up $7000.00 more for the 1LE package are willing to put up with poor rain and cold performance.

haha just wait until you drive in the cold/rain on some 3rs these 3s arent shit compared to those