Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Bortopia

Drives: 1997 Lumina
Thinking of getting a Camaro...

Hello, all...

As you have read in the title, I am currently thinking about buying an SS within (hopefully) the next year or so.

I am a senior in college, graduating in May and should shortly be in a somewhat lucrative (50k/yr +) job.. well, that's my goal.

Assuming that actually happens, I had planned to buy a new car to replace my aging 1997 Lumina (around 200k miles on her now but still runs like a champ) which replaced my once aging 89 Jeep).

I decided its time to buy new instead of 10+ year old cars and, assuming I can afford it, a sports car.

I was originally thinking about buying the car my brother lusted after right up until he got saddled with a couple kids and had to buy a small bus to lug all their shit around in, the 350Z. Shortly after, the 370Z came around and I was settled on that being my car until a fateful event took place a few weeks ago over spring break.

During a visit to Disney's Epcot center, I went on their crash course themed roller coaster which ended with a tour through a GM showroom floor. This was where I first saw the new Camaro - the Camaro 5. I instantly realized two things.

The Camaro5 is one damn sharp looking car. I thought I liked the Z, but now I realize that my admiration for the Z was for its feminine lines, much like the lusting after the enormous racks of the female upper classmen I did through much of my younger years. Sure, it's an attractive looking car -- but that didn't mean it would be home to me. It's attractive but feminine looking. The Camaro is downright agressive looking, and holds a masculine physique that screams its a man's car.

I have to admit (possibly much to the hatred of many on this forum) that I had a strong distaste for American sports cars up until now. The older Camaros, the Mustangs, even the Corvettes have a certain way about their lines that I never thought I would feel comfortable driving one. I have very particular tastes I suppose. I don't like things to be extremely flashy and over the top (which generally strikes me as simply obnoxious), but I don't like to look like everything else on the road either. There is a fine line of understated coolness I like to find myself riding in, and I feel the Camaro5 is the car that finally meets my tastes.

Second, the American automotive industry is far from dead. If GM can build a car as well designed as the Camaro, there is hope for the auto industry in this country yet. I have to say congrats GM.

I apologize if my romantic ramblings about a car I have not even had a chance to sit in has disgusted anyone so far. I am not normally the sort of person who gets worked up over anything, never mind a car. However, this car has already made an instant enthusiast of me. Twice this week I have visited dealerships on my way home from classes just to get a close up look of one and try to pick out what color I want.

So far - and I haven't seen any with this color scheme, I am thinking of an SS, Blue with Black stripes. Can anyone please direct me to some (non-rendered) photos of one in this color? I am almost sickened to see most dealerships carrying the Bumblebee color scheme in demand, as if I would want to be known as the guy with the Bumblebee car. (ha)

Having just read the press release about the 2011 though - I may have to hold out for that model (I would most likely actually have to any way.) The idea of a HUD interests me, and in all - I don't think any auto manufacturer has got the concept of built in GPS nav down yet, so I don't think I would want that in my car anyway.

Thing is; roads change constantly. New major roadways were constructed in the city of Providence in the past couple years, not to mention even more frequently changing POIs. Do any auto manufacturers incorporate the GPS system into their cars with upgrades & customizations to the software in mind?

So, I guess I'll end my thread with this... anyone want to donate a poor college student a Blue / Black striped SS (with a sunroof or my girlfriend would kill me .. haha)? I am really impatient about waiting until I can afford it to actually get this car.
Bortopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
?
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
did someone say enormous rack?

On a serious note... I have a friend that was looking into getting a 370 out of school as well... he has since converted to a Camaro

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Hey, welcome to C5! Here are all the color specific threads, hope this helps your search!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14434
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote