Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
First thing is you dont need the cap. Lose it.
If you are running a single side driver side enclosure you arent going to have enough to be needing a cap and if you did you would more than likely want to look at the big three before doing a cap anyway.

To wire the amp the battery, do a search there are plenty of pics out there showing this. I think if you look in my garage you will see what I did. I forget and I too lazy to look right now.

Anyway, your amp wiring kit should have a terminal connector on one end of the wire you are using for the positive. This terminal should be a ring type. Just loosen the hold down screw on the pos battery terminal and then go from there. The plastic cap and be notched to allow it to close.

I would put a fuse in line about 8 - 10 from the battery. I used a 100 amp fuse. Then run the rest on to your amp. Be sure to ground your amp as short of a distance on the ground wire as you can. The amp instructions should tell you.

Good luck
K

Everything here is great.....just make your battery connection last. Safety first.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah yes well said live2well. Arching and sparking is no fun.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
Anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the capacitor?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo84 View Post
how bout on the right rear in front of the tail lights. that's where they mount the ba amp and there should be enough room in there for a cap.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #19
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo84 View Post
Under the car ?

lol

Cause ya can leave it unhooked.. odds are it will do nothing but look good...

Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Why not mount it to the amp rack?

I know you have it in your head to use the cap but seriously you are just adding complexity to your build that you do not need. Given the capacity of the driver side enclosure odds are you are not using a sub that will be driven enough to warranty any kind of power draw that needs a cap. Additionally, given your questions and newness to this, a cap isnt the way to do it to begin with as it is a bandaid. An additional battery or as I mentioned doing the big three (upgrading the connection between the alt., chassis ground, and battery) are better options.

I understand it is your system but honestly you do not need the cap. I believe I asked the same questions when I did my install.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #21
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Before you install the cap, you must charge it with a resistor! Very dangerous to hook an empty cap to a battery! The cap will suck current from your battery so fast several things could happen... none of them good, and most of them could kill, burn or hurt you bad.

Just take a resistor, of any value, connect to positive wire and hold it to the positive terminal of the cap for a couple of minutes. Once near full, you can now connect your battery directly to the cap without danger of injury or damage to your car.

Good luck!