Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Question 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Aqua Blue Metallic - Rare? Does that affect selling price?

I've been thinking of selling/trading my Camaro in favor of the new Corvette. KBB gives me estimates of about $23-26k. I see a bunch of 2010 SS models for sale, but none in this color. Then I remembered that this color was discontinued and there were only like 2,000-something SS models made in this color. Will that increase the selling price? If so, what would be a fair price to expect? I don't want to rip anyone off, but I also don't want to get ripped off myself

This was a pre-ordered car built in May/June 2009. I was in an accident less than 2 weeks after I got it (not my fault), and it was repaired at a certified GM dealer. Does that affect the price? I've been told yes and no, depending who I ask.

What about trade-in vs. selling? I feel much safer doing a trade-in, just because I don't trust people nowadays (plus they'll want to test-drive it, of course) and I'd be nervous about getting jacked. But I'm not opposed to a personal sale if it makes that much of a difference.

It has Silver Ice Metallic rally stripes, silver painted Chevy bowties on front and back, tinted windows, and SLP LoudMouth II exhaust installed, if that makes any difference.

So what do you guys think? How much should I expect to get for my car?

EDIT: Mileage is about 33,000.

Last edited by DDustiNN; 02-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
If you expect to get anything for mods or color you're better off selling it outright. Likely trading it in will bring $0 extra for each.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
I concur. Dealer will not care.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
If you expect to get anything for mods or color you're better off selling it outright. Likely trading it in will bring $0 extra for each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I concur. Dealer will not care.
Okay, good to know. Thanks!

But the question remains... Does it even matter? Is this color "in demand" and do people pay a premium for it? Or is it "just another color" by now?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post

But the question remains... Does it even matter? Is this color "in demand" and do people pay a premium for it? Or is it "just another color" by now?
No the color does not make it worth more in most cases.

On the off chance that you found someone that just had to have that color, they "might" be willing to pay a little more for it.
But to say any one color commands a higher price that another color is wishful thinking at this point.

Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
You can ask a higher price, but you may not actually sell at that price.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well this can be tough.

Actually...yes there are people that are willing to pay a bit more for this color. Its a fact...I've seen it and I've also read comments here from people who are looking long and hard for a car in ABM in good condition. Sure, they aren't a unicorn, but they aren't really easy to find either especially if you are looking for an ABM in a certain trim level.

I think there was just under 3,300 made, so if you decide to sell privately, you can use that fact to your advantage so that potential buyers know the car is a rare color and may be more inclined to buy it.

But as for trade in, or for those who don't care about the color, or who have no clue your color is rare....no the car isn't worth anything extra to them.

So that means if you want to sell for a small premium, then you could be waiting a while for that right buyer. If you wanted, you could take a chance and list it here on this site and hopefully find an ABM seeker.

The accident you had could certainly lower the value, depending on the extent of damage.

Are you getting the Corvette in blue??

Best of luck!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
The only way the color is going to make it worth more is if the individual buying it is specifically looking for ABM. I'm not in the market, but I am a huge fan of medium blues. If I were to find a really nice ABM SS among the sea of silver, black and red ones I would likely pay a small premium knowing finding another is going to be a longshot. When I say small premium, I mean exactly that. Like if the blue car were priced $500-1500 over a comparable car and the individual absolutely wouldn't budge on the price, Id likely buy it anyways. Thats about as far as I'd go.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
What was the extent of the damage? Does it show up on carfax?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Having just negotiated a trade of my low mile, very good condition Mazdaspeed3 (with many extras and top notch documentation) I was EXTREMELY disappointed in how I was treated by the majority of dealerships. They all have and use recent auction prices as their baseline. In other words, they don't want to SELL your car, they want to get rid of it as soon as possible as long as they turn some profit. If they can get you to contribute a guaranteed profit by accepting a greatly below retail price they can be more aggressive on the new car. I focused on the difference and eventually got a fair deal. Don't be afraid to go to ten dealers if you have to.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Don't sell that beautiful ABM car!

It's not going to be worth anything more unless you are selling it privately and the buyer has a particular interest in that color and is willing to pay more.

There's more value sentimentally than monetarily. For instance, it is an extremely unique color for the camaro and rare so you will not find many on the road. You will get more attention for the color as well. Most people say how it's cool to see this color car over "another silver black or red one". Obviously that doesn't make it worth more, but something to consider that you may lose.

Although, if you are getting a stingray, then it will get you attention by itself.

I would have a hard time selling my car because you aren't going to get anything extra for it, but they are so unique at the same time. The car is worth more to me than it is financially. If it was a silver car, I wouldn't have any problem selling it for how much it's worth.

But this color is hard to find and arguably the best looking color on the camaro alongside synergy green.

If you are getting a stingray, then it may be harder not to sell it, but my advice would be not to sell it since the value won't be raised by the color.

Although, this only really applies if you love the color and bought the car because you liked the color. If you are indifferent, or prefer a more standard color, then definitely sell it to one who is looking for an ABM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post

No, color doesn't matter. Yes, accident will decrease value. However, because the accident was years ago you know repairs have held up
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
The dealer will not look at the color it's doesn't matter. As others said it depends if a buyer wants that color then they will pay a premium but it's not that great a premium. 2 yrs ago I went to a dealer and they offered me $23k with 24k miles. I laughed and walked away. My car is worth more to me and I was just curious what they'd offer. No intent on selling unless it was $28k+ Then I'd a would've gotten a ZL-1. But I had no intent on selling and won't ever sell it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
joplatinum

Drives: camaro ss
love the abm color alot of compliments and its very rare to see
mine has 9xxx and i thought about trading it in for zl1 dealer crushed me
Corsa Exhaust
Knn intake ( rotofab soon )
Seibon Hood
Seibon Trunk
pd Springs
Giovanna Staggered 22"
joplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
When I attempted to trade my ABM less than 2 years ago the dealer acted like the color was a liability. If you sell it yourself to the right person they may give you more than its worth.