Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
My first autocross in my Camaro this weekend

Any pointers or tips? What "mode" should I run in......? ( 2010 MANUAL, SS )

Any and all input/ advise would be helpful & appreciated...

THANKS!
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................

Last edited by scottyvegas; 09-30-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: ......
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
I ran my first 2weeks ago. Heres what I learned.

pump up tire pressure to 40 psi front 38 in rear
1/2 a tank of fuel
run with nannies for a couple runs after your comfotable with car and course
manual guys ran in 2nd gear after first shift.
dont be afraid to push these cars And work the tires.

Have fun, you will be grinning all afternoon!
Remember, your racing yourself not anyone else. Look to improve with each pass.

They will offer ride alongs, take advantage of it. I got great pointers from the driver that rode with me. They are drivers themselves.

Hope this helps you out.

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsont View Post
I ran my first 2weeks ago. Heres what I learned.

pump up tire pressure to 40 psi front 38 in rear
1/2 a tank of fuel
run with nannies for a couple runs after your comfotable with car and course
manual guys ran in 2nd gear after first shift.
dont be afraid to push these cars And work the tires.

Have fun, you will be grinning all afternoon!
Remember, your racing yourself not anyone else. Look to improve with each pass.

They will offer ride alongs, take advantage of it. I got great pointers from the driver that rode with me. They are drivers themselves.

Hope this helps you out.

Tim

THANKS TIM!
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
scottyvegas
X SS

Anyone else have any advise?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Witchdoctor92

Drives: 2012 1SS Black with white rally str
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
Anyone else have any advise?
Tim covered it pretty well. If you have the opportunity, walk the course and try to imagine yourself sitting in the car to visualize spacing and setup for the next turn. Look out ahead where you want to go. If there is a slalom, make sure you are looking out to the end of it and not at the next cone. Best advise for Autocross is what has already been said. You are racing yourself, try to improve each pass and have fun. As far as nannies, I ran with everything on a couple passes and then it was all sport competitive mode. If you are M6 I recommend trying all three modes and seeing how you feel best. Also understand Autocross is a gateway drug man. Track days and more are in your future.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Get a good alignment. Alignment make a difference to help combat rolling of the edge of the tire plus responsive steering. I autocross my 1LE and it's a blast. I run in comp mode.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
Any pointers or tips? What "mode" should I run in......? ( 2010 MANUAL, SS )

Any and all input/ advise would be helpful & appreciated...

THANKS!
I suggest running in the fast mode.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
At least turn TC off. If TC = off is part of Competition mode, select comp mode.

Plan on upshifting to 2nd and leaving it there. You shouldn't need 1st (you'll be too busy anyway), and the course shouldn't be so fast that as a total novice you'll even think about needing 3rd.

Bring fluids, something to eat, something to sit on, sunscreen, wear weather-suitable clothing, sunglasses, a hat, an umbrella and maybe rain gear as applicable (BTW, autocrossing in the rain is more instructive and more fun than you might think). Tire gauge. If you have a 12-v tire pump, bring it (a bicycle tire pump will work in a pinch, but it's not much fun). Closed-toe footwear is normally a requirement, so sandals are out.

Get there early. You'll be emptying your car of anything that's loose, including floor mats and trunk contents. Any spare and jack can stay put if solidly tied down. There will be the matters of registering and a drivers' meeting that you are required to attend.

There may be instructed course walks where an experienced autocrosser will point out things that will help you during your runs. There may be opportunities for an instructor to ride along with you. Take advantage of any that are available.

Don't worry too much about car preparation - right now it's more autocross-capable than you are (not a flame, it's better than anybody who is just starting out). Make sure that all fluids are at least at adequate levels (oil should preferably be topped off to the "FULL" mark), which you can do beforehand. Other than maybe airing up the tires a little, don't clutter up your day with things that won't help you at this stage.

I saved the most important thing for last . . . go have fun.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
At least turn TC off. If TC = off is part of Competition mode, select comp mode.

Plan on upshifting to 2nd and leaving it there. You shouldn't need 1st (you'll be too busy anyway), and the course shouldn't be so fast that as a total novice you'll even think about needing 3rd.

Bring fluids, something to eat, something to sit on, sunscreen, wear weather-suitable clothing, sunglasses, a hat, an umbrella and maybe rain gear as applicable (BTW, autocrossing in the rain is more instructive and more fun than you might think). Tire gauge. If you have a 12-v tire pump, bring it (a bicycle tire pump will work in a pinch, but it's not much fun). Closed-toe footwear is normally a requirement, so sandals are out.

Get there early. You'll be emptying your car of anything that's loose, including floor mats and trunk contents. Any spare and jack can stay put if solidly tied down. There will be the matters of registering and a drivers' meeting that you are required to attend.

There may be instructed course walks where an experienced autocrosser will point out things that will help you during your runs. There may be opportunities for an instructor to ride along with you. Take advantage of any that are available.

Don't worry too much about car preparation - right now it's more autocross-capable than you are (not a flame, it's better than anybody who is just starting out). Make sure that all fluids are at least at adequate levels (oil should preferably be topped off to the "FULL" mark), which you can do beforehand. Other than maybe airing up the tires a little, don't clutter up your day with things that won't help you at this stage.

I saved the most important thing for last . . . go have fun.

Norm
Great advise, Thanks Norm!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Drives: 2011 2SS
When you go for a turn utilize the brakes and gas pedal to keep the car balanced if you can between the front tires and the rear tires. Utilize the brakes prior to the corner, this will keep the car from DIVING into the corner. You want it to curve into the corner per say. Also, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get into a nasty drift.... Avoid that at all possible or your side curtain airbags WILL deploy...

I've experienced this :P
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79

Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Is there a fuse-pull kind of temporary fix for that, just for the short durations of autocross runs?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
+1 can you pull the fuse for just the side curtains?
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
scottyvegas
X SS

10-4
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
scottyvegas
X SS

It was awesome................ = ADDICTED.