Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
SCT vs HPtuner

Ive searched and searched and still confused, lol! I'm going to be installing LTH w no cats in a few weeks. One shop thats an hour away (probably the ones going to install them) uses SCT and deals more with Fords then GM. I was thinking of purchasing a JRE tune and having them do it.

Well the other option is going to Forza Tuning thats about an hour and a half away and having them put a tune on using a HPtuner device. Both will cost about the same. Which is better?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I wouldn't be too worried about the software. Choose whichever SHOP you prefer, who will do the best job, who has the most experience with cars like yours, and go there. SCT and HPT are both full tuning suites, just two different ways of doing the job. You're going to have shops that prefer SCT, and shops that prefer HPT.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about the software. Choose whichever SHOP you prefer, who will do the best job, who has the most experience with cars like yours, and go there. SCT and HPT are both full tuning suites, just two different ways of doing the job. You're going to have shops that prefer SCT, and shops that prefer HPT.
Thank you for the fast reply. Forza Tuning has done a lot and given high recommendations from fellow Camaro friends. The other shop has done my buddies Mustang and admits hes not extremely familiar with Camaros.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Ive searched and searched and still confused, lol! I'm going to be installing LTH w no cats in a few weeks. One shop thats an hour away (probably the ones going to install them) uses SCT and deals more with Fords then GM. I was thinking of purchasing a JRE tune and having them do it.

Well the other option is going to Forza Tuning thats about an hour and a half away and having them put a tune on using a HPtuner device. Both will cost about the same. Which is better?
The beauty of a JRE tune and SCT is you can install it in your own driveway, Tunes are sent over email.

Then you have the SCT Device and available Free Software to Log Your car to check the tune, any adjustments needed are FREE.

Thank you for considering JRE.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Best bet is HP Tuners, this is the only forum where I've seen people use SCT software to tune a GM.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Or EFILive.

I use EFI and HPT. I prefer EFI on the ECM tuning and most Trans setups. On full built trans, I prefer HPT. Those are hands down, the most popular and most powerful Gm suites on the market.

EFILive has a device which is called an Autocal. It allows us to remote tune the vehicle just like you can with SCT, but it can store 5 custom tunes at once, datalog of course, and it can be used to tune MULTIPLE vehicles, all on one device. It is the best product out there currently for remote tuning solutions, and is the most versatile.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Thanks everyone for the responses. Ive decided to go with Forza Tuning that uses HPTuner. I feel more comfortable going this route even if its a little more expensive.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Best bet is HP Tuners, this is the only forum where I've seen people use SCT software to tune a GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Or EFILive.

I use EFI and HPT. I prefer EFI on the ECM tuning and most Trans setups. On full built trans, I prefer HPT. Those are hands down, the most popular and most powerful Gm suites on the market.

EFILive has a device which is called an Autocal. It allows us to remote tune the vehicle just like you can with SCT, but it can store 5 custom tunes at once, datalog of course, and it can be used to tune MULTIPLE vehicles, all on one device. It is the best product out there currently for remote tuning solutions, and is the most versatile.
Good Morning Gentlemen,

Certainly not here to Argue, I am the Proud Owner of HPTuners since its introduction, SCT since it's introduction, Diablo Since it's introduction, and EFI Live in recent Years.

I also Tune Every aftermarket software that has been on the market or is on the market today.

So I have my Choice of which one I will use on Which Vehicle Platform, Each are Fine Tuning software, Each have they're Strong Points and Weak Points depending on what Vehicle Platform we are talking about.

On the Gen5 Camaro SCT Hands down has More definitions Mapped out accurately which is the reason I use it almost exclusively on this and many other Platforms.

Owning your own hand held SCT Device that can store up to 10 Custom Tunes, and Stores your Factory tune on the device is a huge advantage.

It is also a Powerful Scanner, and Data logger, it does some of GM special Functions Like Case Learn after a Cam Swap or ECM replacement or Engine overhaul.

If you have not taken a good hard look at SCT You Should your missing out.

The Biggest Problem I have it getting customers to Data Log When asked, Those that Do are 100% successful, then there are those who give up and go to the local guy to finish what I started.

Logging is the Key to Success.

Ted.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Good Morning Gentlemen,

Certainly not here to Argue, I am the Proud Owner of HPTuners since its introduction, SCT since it's introduction, Diablo Since it's introduction, and EFI Live in recent Years.

I also Tune Every aftermarket software that has been on the market or is on the market today.

So I have my Choice of which one I will use on Which Vehicle Platform, Each are Fine Tuning software, Each have they're Strong Points and Weak Points depending on what Vehicle Platform we are talking about.

On the Gen5 Camaro SCT Hands down has More definitions Mapped out accurately which is the reason I use it almost exclusively on this and many other Platforms.

Owning your own hand held SCT Device that can store up to 10 Custom Tunes, and Stores your Factory tune on the device is a huge advantage.

It is also a Powerful Scanner, and Data logger, it does some of GM special Functions Like Case Learn after a Cam Swap or ECM replacement or Engine overhaul.

If you have not taken a good hard look at SCT You Should your missing out.

The Biggest Problem I have it getting customers to Data Log When asked, Those that Do are 100% successful, then there are those who give up and go to the local guy to finish what I started.

Logging is the Key to Success.

Ted.
Thanks but no thanks LOL I'll stick to EFI-Live and HP Tuners I'll leave SCT for my Fords.
Some folks like well done steaks I like mine bloody. I respect your way of tuning but in the 15 years of LS world I've never heard people used sct on GM.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Thanks but no thanks LOL I'll stick to EFI-Live and HP Tuners I'll leave SCT for my Fords.
Some folks like well done steaks I like mine bloody. I respect your way of tuning but in the 15 years of LS world I've never heard people used sct on GM.
That is to be expected as SCT is late to the GM Game, started in 2009, but came with a Mission to be the Very best.

As I said I am the Proud owner of all of them, and I use all of them Day to Day.

You must use What Works Best For You and your comfortable with No Harm in that.

I Respect What you Like for you.

Ted.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. Ive decided to go with Forza Tuning that uses HPTuner. I feel more comfortable going this route even if its a little more expensive.
You will be glad you picked HPTuner. Most expert GM tuners can or do use HPTuners!! Its also not hard to learn some stuff on your own! HP Also has a very great forum for learning. Enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote