Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
Cts100

Drives: Toyota land cruiser
Charger srt 392 or Camaro zl1

Hi. I am new to this forum and I ve been doing a lot of research on getting A used car. My options are the charger srt 392 or the Camaro zl1, both being 2015 models. I ve found a zl1 and an srt 392 charger with similar pricing. As I am in dubai and plan to take the car here, we don't get the after market support for both the LS and hemi engines like you guys have in USA. So which ever car I take it will be STOCK. The zl1 is a very rare car here. I knew this when I had contacted a dealer asking them for a used zl1, they told me they sold only one car back in 2013 after the Camaos relaunch. The charger srt 392 on the other hand is pretty common as they are readily available here,the cars I saw have respectively zl1(4000km) and charger srt 392 (13000km).i know this is a Camaro forum but if possible I hope the professionals here can give me an unbiased opinion. The zl1 is more expensive of the two cars I saw. I am planning to take the car by January end. I am not married so it does not matter if it is a coupe or sedan. I am looking at the charger because it has a locking fuel cap unlike the challenger so here it is risk. People may do something bad to it. So I request the people here to give me their opinion as I have yet to take the test drive. Since both the cars are from direct owners test drive will be a little difficult. Our family car is a Toyota this car is specifically for my use and petrol is not expensive here so kmpl won't be a big issue. What I am looking for is mainly maintenance costs Tyre changes. Upto an extend reliability. And it shouldn't be a money pit. Waiting for you guys to respond
Thanks
Cts100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Either car would be a good choice but based on what you've written I believe you would be much happier with the ZL1...The Charger SRT8 392 is sedan with muscle car appeal and performance, but doesn't come close in any performance test against the ZL1...The ZL1 is a purpose built muscle car with a defined sex appeal appearance...Both are low maintenance vehicle's but you may wear the tires how more quickly on the ZL1, as they come with a summer only performance tire, as I remember the 392 comes with the same Goodyear tires...You can purchase an aftermarket locking fuel cap for the ZL1 and it should be relatively inexpensive...Between the two I would recommend the ZL1 without a 2nd thought...Good luck with your choice...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I definitely agree with him^
The charger is definitely fast and everything but it's no ZL1. I would definitely go with the camaro in your case, and never look back. You'll love it just as much as all of us do
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
Cts100

Drives: Toyota land cruiser
Thank you. The srt 392 has pirelli. I won't be drag racing much as the number of tracks we have in UAE are less. This no locking fuel cap seems to be a problem but since after market options are available it should be fine. I had visited the dodge showroom here and looked at the charger. A huge car. The Chevrolet showrooms didn't have any 5th gen Camaros they only have the new 6th gets, small car but good offers on them. Will the zl1 be having heat issues with tyres or any other components because dubai is a very hot place. And there are a lot of US spec cars coming here cheaper than their UAE counterparts. I ve also read that during the summer here the US spec cars need to be parked inside. The zl1 I saw is gcc spec. The car being ultra rare here (I ve only see one in dubai in person). Drives me to the reason will they be having any weather related issues.?
Cts100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
ZL1: 580hp coupe
392 SRT Charger: 485hp sedan

Apples to oranges.

P.S. You can always buy a locking fuel cap for the ZL1. There are 100's of sites on the internet that sell them. Good luck with your decision.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
100% ZL1, then again all of us will be a little biased.

But the Charger is a big car, and it weighs a lot. The ZL1 weighs less, has more HP, and will rip your face off in the corners, seriously. You will not regret going with a ZL1!
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Moe A

Drives: 13' Camaro ZL1
I'm here to tell you that you'll be a lot happier with the ZL1 as I do own both the cars that you're considering and i also live in Dubai, I will admit though I do have the 5.7 Hemi on my charger(daily) so it's not exactly the same, but its pretty close.
don't get me wrong though the charger is a great car but nothing like the Z in my opinion, also i think the Camaro should be slightly more reliable as i've experienced a few issues on the charger.
ps. the charger only has 10k km more than the Camaro so should be a pretty fair reliability comparison as i push the Camaro allot harder than the charger.
Moe A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
First and foremost, the SRT8 / 392 is slower than a SS. The vehicles are simply a tank, though with that said if you honestly need the interior room or four doors then by all means, buy it, you won't be disappointed. Maintenance on these vehicles today are negligible and there are scores of Camaro hitting 160k+ km (100k+ mi) with no major reliability issues.

I'll bow to the ZL1 folx regarding the supercharger and longevity. The ZL1 simply lives and operates in a completely different world. The only real performance comparison to a ZL1 is the GTR, Z07 and other super cars. Especially if you plan to do any mods, they can easily reach 750hp+ with very little work.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
ZL1 - hands down, for all the above mentioned reasons plus these:

1) You are single, so spend the money now before it changes from a decision to a conversation and compromise.

2) You are looking at a 2015, so the rear seats are good and comfortable for anybody up to 5'4" tall.

This gives you the best possible outcome:
1) The car you really want.
2) If you get married, you will already have it - believe me, marriage changes finances and priorities.
3) If you have children down the road, they will easily fit in the car until they are 12 years old. At that point you can get a Charger, mini-van or whatever you want.

Hope that helps,
PostNup
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
If you can get the license plate NCC-1701 the Charger.

But reality will set in and the ZL1 will call your name.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
As was mentioned, apples -vs- oranges... NA -vs- FI. Old school style muscle -vs- new school style muscle.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cts100 View Post
Thank you. The srt 392 has pirelli. I won't be drag racing much as the number of tracks we have in UAE are less. This no locking fuel cap seems to be a problem but since after market options are available it should be fine. I had visited the dodge showroom here and looked at the charger. A huge car. The Chevrolet showrooms didn't have any 5th gen Camaros they only have the new 6th gets, small car but good offers on them. Will the zl1 be having heat issues with tyres or any other components because dubai is a very hot place. And there are a lot of US spec cars coming here cheaper than their UAE counterparts. I ve also read that during the summer here the US spec cars need to be parked inside. The zl1 I saw is gcc spec. The car being ultra rare here (I ve only see one in dubai in person). Drives me to the reason will they be having any weather related issues.?
I couldn't remember which tires were on the Charger's I had a 06 Charger RT 5.7ltr 370hp and I really liked it as a sedan...I sold it to my youngest son (for nothing) when I purchased the ZL1...In your 1st post I don't think you mentioned anything about racing, but since you have opened that door, this conversation is relatively over...Your competitive spirit demands the ZL1...As far as the climate the tires longevity depends mainly on how hard you push the car, dependent on your driving habits and how much you intend to race, so just have money on the side for new rear tires, or buy a set of rear rims and tires for when you're racing...There is no truth that these cars have to be garaged, you can purchase a quality car cover to protect the paint and pad against door dings and keep the exterior washed and waxed...Since the car is somewhat rare in your region if you decided to buy it, it should hold a high resale value, which is a plus for you...If you can find a ZL1 at the right price get it, if you don't you will never be satisfied and dread the day that you bought something that you really did not desire...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its not really an apples to apples comparison. I happen to like the appearance of the Charger SRT. The sedan would lose in a comparison with a ZL1. The comparison would have more credibility if it were a Charger Hellcat. The Hellcat has more horsepower, and thus it would be faster than the ZL1 in a straight line run. The Hellcat would have its hands full as well with a ZL1, as the ZL1 would be quicker and out-handle it on a road course. It will boil down to what car one likes the best.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
The 392's are nice, and the ZL1 is great. Can't go wrong, but I'd opt for the ZL1 for performance reasons.