Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinva View Post
Interesting....in the Camaro pressing on the accelerator does not release the hill assist.
That's odd if the Camaro doesn't release the brake when the accelerator is pressed. I know it's an automatic, but my Equinox has hill assist as well, and it releases the brake as soon as the accelerator is pressed.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaJohn View Post
One comment about using the parking brake on a hill. I drive in San Francisco very often and there are some hills there that even us old guys that have been driving sticks for 50 years use the parking brake!

And I will have to agree, I stand corrected. Do what you gotta do to prevent messing up your back bumper.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
My '95 Suburu had it. It comes in handy sometime.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have not driven a 13 manual but have driven another car with hill assist ant it generaly worked like this

1. You hold the brake push in the clutch and go into first
2. You let go of the brake And switch over to the gas
3 you leave like if it was flat and the car will do the rest.

Realistically speaking it should only take anyone that was had practice 2 seconds to switch from the brake to the gas and ease of the clutch. My 12 cruze and 10 camaro booth don't have it but I just use the emergency break. I rather save my rear bumper and be safe than wear the hell out of my clutch and roll backwards
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Our sonic has it. It caused me to get rear ended at a stop light. It caused me to stall the engine taking off and the car behind me hit me. Idiot took off too. Didn't stop to see if we were ok or had any damage. Luckilly there was only some minor scratches on the rear bumper.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaJohn View Post
One comment about using the parking brake on a hill. I drive in San Francisco very often and there are some hills there that even us old guys that have been driving sticks for 50 years use the parking brake!
I've only had my 2010 SS M6 for about three months now. I hadn't driven a stick in forever. I love this car but am realizing I'm not the best stick driver around and may never be; guess I'm just a defective human being.
The thought of having to drive a manual in SF is terrifying. Was there on vaca with my wife a few years ago and can't imagine dealing with some of those steep inclines on a regular basis.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Interesting....in the Camaro pressing on the accelerator does not release the hill assist
Are you sure? I would think that once the accelerator is pressed that it would deactivate?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
simoneves

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS vert (soon)
OK, any more '13 M6 owners want to speak up on this?

My current drive (2009 BMW 128i) has Hill Assist and it works seamlessly... as soon as the clutch bites, the brakes release... no need to use any more gas than you'd expect for such a hill, compared with just using the handbrake.

Given that the handbrake in a Camaro is stupidly on the passenger side of the tunnel and therefore hardly optimised for smooth hill-starts, these concerns... concern me!
simoneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
I think it is a neat feature to have....

I've been driving stick for years, and don't need it, but it will be nice for those steep hills w/ the asshole riding your ass at the red light.
1LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEE View Post
I think it is a neat feature to have....

I've been driving stick for years, and don't need it, but it will be nice for those steep hills w/ the asshole riding your ass at the red light.
I thought so too, but I don't believe it should still hold the brake once you are moving.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #25
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
It'd be a nice feature for sure. However these cars have so much power that if you slowly let the clutch engage it won't roll backward, nor will it stall. It'll very slowly start to creep forward and you just give it gas.

However, this feature would be great if it works for reverse. For whatever reason, my clutch hates it when I back up a steep hill. If you feather it at all you're rewarded with a great burning clutch smell.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Are you sure? I would think that once the accelerator is pressed that it would deactivate?

Definitely does NOT deactivate when the accelerator is pressed. It's possible it does so at a certain threshold (RPM) but as said earlier, I generally don't go above 1000 RPM when starting, so maybe I am not reaching that threshold. Just by pressing the accelerator to deactivate does not make a lot of sense to me, though...unless it is tied to the motion of the car. If I gave it plenty of gas but hardly released the clutch it seems the car would still roll, thus negating the feature. Just my two cents worth.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
It'd be a nice feature for sure. However these cars have so much power that if you slowly let the clutch engage it won't roll backward, nor will it stall. It'll very slowly start to creep forward and you just give it gas.

However, this feature would be great if it works for reverse. For whatever reason, my clutch hates it when I back up a steep hill. If you feather it at all you're rewarded with a great burning clutch smell.
FYI...this feature DOES work in reverse on the 2013 Camaro.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinva View Post
FYI...this feature DOES work in reverse on the 2013 Camaro.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote