Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Let me fix that for you..

Sucks about this brake deal. I'll go find some experts for you.

I got frustrated. Stopped videoing. It takes up more of my precious short car time.

BUT, I will have a video of the car tomorrow.

I wanted to drive the damn thing. Ugh................
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
You could squeeze those brakes plenty hard enough with no booster. I don't see how vacuum factors in here if you were pushing hard enough. If you're pushing hard and it's not stopping then something is preventing that. Pull your wheels off and pull all the calipers and push them in with a C clamp and make sure everything is moving OK. Then bleed the brakes. If you push the pedal and nothing comes out, then you've found your blockage.

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
With that duration I could see vacuum issues. The lobe separation isn't too radical though. bet it sounds good.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-18-2014 at 11:23 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Get some fluid flowing in those lines. Two bleeders on the brembos.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
You could squeeze those brakes plenty hard enough with no booster. I don't see how vacuum factors in here if you were pushing hard enough. If you're pushing hard and it's not stopping then something is preventing that. Pull your wheels off and pull all the calipers and push them in with a C clamp and make sure everything is moving OK. Then bleed the brakes. If you push the pedal and nothing comes out, then you've found your blockage.
I had read that.

How the hell am I going to get the calipers off if they are stuck? So close to the rotors and I have a lip developed since the car has 85k on it. Changed the pads a couple months before it went down but I was able to pry the pistons in a little.

But certainly I have the power to stop it with no booster. I stood on it REALLY hard when it hit the 'shelf' half way down. So hard in fact I worried I'd brake the pedal arm. It did nothing to stand harder on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
With that duration I could see vacuum issues. The lobe separation isn't too radical though. bet it sounds good.
Sound fantastic.

Only thing is I've seen guys put much bigger cams in their 5th gens and not skip a beat. I'll test it all for sure. Starting with the easiest.

Bitch about it is I only have one day a week to really fool with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Get some fluid flowing in those lines. Two bleeders on the brembos.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #20
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I had read that.

How the hell am I going to get the calipers off if they are stuck? So close to the rotors and I have a lip developed since the car has 85k on it. Changed the pads a couple months before it went down but I was able to pry the pistons in a little.

But certainly I have the power to stop it with no booster. I stood on it REALLY hard when it hit the 'shelf' half way down. So hard in fact I worried I'd brake the pedal arm. It did nothing to stand harder on it.

Sound fantastic.

Only thing is I've seen guys put much bigger cams in their 5th gens and not skip a beat. I'll test it all for sure. Starting with the easiest.

Bitch about it is I only have one day a week to really fool with it.

I really have to give you props for sticking with that car over the years and all the work you have put into it. I used to have that passion or some say compulsion for working on cars. Now I just buy what others have produced and I don' t get nearly as attached to them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #21
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I had read that.

It sounds like you are due for new rotors so I would use a crowbar or something like it to press the pistons back in. Should also detach the lines before doing so if it is the calipers.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Get the front wheels off the ground and check to see if they freeroll.If they do have Bonnie get in the car depress the brake and again check if they lock or free roll.If they freeroll after depressing the brake pedal work your way back to the master cylinder by applying pressure to the brake pedal and cracking open the lines and check for fluid pressure.

If you have pressure and no clamping force at the rotor I would say you have a piston frozen in the caliper bore.I would do the same for the rear also.A car sitting over time can draw moisture into some of the weirdest places and cause brakes to freeze or not operate properly.

Just something to get you started,I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Master Cylinder
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I really have to give you props for sticking with that car over the years and all the work you have put into it. I used to have that passion or some say compulsion for working on cars. Now I just buy what others have produced and I don' t get nearly as attached to them.
It will be going up for sale soon.

I'll ask my own price and may not budge. But if someone gives me what I want it will be sold. I don't want to but losing our health insurance has taken away our major protection and the cheapest we've found is 700.00 more per month. We always paid out of pocket for everything and had a cat only policy but can't get that anymore.

I ain't giving this car away though. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
It sounds like you are due for new rotors so I would use a crowbar or something like it to press the pistons back in. Should also detach the lines before doing so if it is the calipers.
Probably do need rototors. If the pistons aren't locked up they should come off anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
Get the front wheels off the ground and check to see if they freeroll.If they do have Bonnie get in the car depress the brake and again check if they lock or free roll.If they freeroll after depressing the brake pedal work your way back to the master cylinder by applying pressure to the brake pedal and cracking open the lines and check for fluid pressure.

If you have pressure and no clamping force at the rotor I would say you have a piston frozen in the caliper bore.I would do the same for the rear also.A car sitting over time can draw moisture into some of the weirdest places and cause brakes to freeze or not operate properly.

Just something to get you started,I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.
I'll do all of the above and more on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Master Cylinder
I can't really see that as I get the hard shelf half way down. So it seems to be holding well.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
sounds like brake booster went out, rubber diaphragm probably cracked
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #26
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
It will be going up for sale soon.

I'll ask my own price and may not budge. But if someone gives me what I want it will be sold. I don't want to but losing our health insurance has taken away our major protection and the cheapest we've found is 700.00 more per month. We always paid out of pocket for everything and had a cat only policy but can't get that anymore.

I ain't giving this car away though. haha

Probably do need rototors. If the pistons aren't locked up they should come off anyway.

I'll do all of the above and more on the weekend.

I can't really see that as I get the hard shelf half way down. So it seems to be holding well.
O:
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
sounds like brake booster went out, rubber diaphragm probably cracked
But without the booster shouldn't it still have brakes as if the car is just not running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
O:
I know.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
But without the booster shouldn't it still have brakes as if the car is just not running?

I know.
It feels the same with the car off? I'm not sure if it would feel that way or not but I'd start by checking out the booster and the master cylinder.
I think your master cylinder has to come off to check the booster anyways. I know it's not usual for a bad master cyl to make the pedal feel the way you described but still possible.

I've got a feeling you'll end up with a 6th gen soon after