Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
Synner

Drives: cars
No one ever does. And then you crash.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I went open face helmet for the usual reasons weight, visibility, and cooling. I don't use a HANS. I have been more worried about my neck than my face, so the airbag deflection of the chin guard and added mass sort of factored in, but to each his own. In an open car you need a full face helmet.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Hoosier1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Is a Snell 2000 rating good for all courses?
Hoosier1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
You'd better check with the tracks and the organizers of the track days you're planning to attend. For example, SA2000 helmets are not sufficient at NJMP's own track days.

At any rate, picking up a SA2000 now would be a poor choice (and is probably why any that you see are going for cheap). A typical helmet requirement is the current SA plus the two immediately preceding ones. The SA2015 spec isn't that far off.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob67 View Post
I was looking at an open face for visibility. Do all HPDE events require full face? Was thinking about doing one in Joliet or Gingerman.
Joliet Autobahn does not require a full face. As a matter of fact, they rent only open face helmets.

That being said, I would still use a full face. I had an accident last year with a full face and still knocked unconscious.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
You can run an open face at Gingerman as well.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...%20open%20face
Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
I wear glasses and when I first started AutoX, HPDE, Instructing and Time Trials I bought an open face helmet (SA2000, 14 years ago). As it was expiring I started looking at new helmets. I wound up with a full face that I could put my glasses on after putting the helmet on. Its an SA2005 so sometime next year I'll pick up an SA2015. Lucky for me there is a shop nearby that I can go in and try on helmets and find one that fits.

The SNELL SA2005 expires next year, SA2010 expires in 2020. I have seen DOT/SA2010 helmets, they have both ratings (MC and Road Course). I have not been to a track that specifically bans the open face helmets (VIR, Road Atl, Robeling Road, NCCAR, Charlotte MS, Nashville MS, Summit Point, etc.).
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #22
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
I got mine from RaceQuip. It was the best deal I could find. It's really comfortable and already drilled for HANS. I also recommend you get an inexpensive balaclava. The cotton ones are fine if you don't want to spend the dough on a fire retardant one. But if you track in the summer months you'll likely be sweating, and it acts as a liner and really saves the life of the interior of your helmet, not to mention making it less saturated with sweat. Just my .02.

http://www.racequip.com/autoracinghelmets.html
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #23
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balok View Post
I got mine from RaceQuip. It was the best deal I could find. It's really comfortable and already drilled for HANS. I also recommend you get an inexpensive balaclava. The cotton ones are fine if you don't want to spend the dough on a fire retardant one. But if you track in the summer months you'll likely be sweating, and it acts as a liner and really saves the life of the interior of your helmet, not to mention making it less saturated with sweat. Just my .02.

http://www.racequip.com/autoracinghelmets.html
So you would recommend wearing flammable material around my face? Cool thanks man. The cotton ones are not fine... Not at all. Wish Pete was here to say this shit because you all respect his name.

Full face saved my life, cracked my helmet across the face shield and chin. a real balaclava saved my face and beard from melting. Nobody thinks a little axle grease will ooze out and start a fire. Nobody thinks one bad accident ****s your entire family over.

Nobody plans to crash or burn. But it happens, quite frequently. Street cars fail on the track. Idiots are on the track. People that post on this forum are claiming to be on the track and that scares me, wish i could race in a astronaut suit.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
Synner

Drives: cars
Word. Visit a burn ward or go to Walter Reed and then say that flammable material on your face is acceptable.

The worst part about people who ignore safety rules or do something stupid is that it usually screws the guy minding his own business doing everything right.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
So you would recommend wearing flammable material around my face? Cool thanks man. The cotton ones are not fine... Not at all. Wish Pete was here to say this shit because you all respect his name.

Full face saved my life, cracked my helmet across the face shield and chin. a real balaclava saved my face and beard from melting. Nobody thinks a little axle grease will ooze out and start a fire. Nobody thinks one bad accident ****s your entire family over.

Nobody plans to crash or burn. But it happens, quite frequently. Street cars fail on the track. Idiots are on the track. People that post on this forum are claiming to be on the track and that scares me, wish i could race in a astronaut suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Word. Visit a burn ward or go to Walter Reed and then say that flammable material on your face is acceptable.

The worst part about people who ignore safety rules or do something stupid is that it usually screws the guy minding his own business doing everything right.
I would post a "lol" but it's not funny. QFT!!!

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #26
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Joliet Autobahn does not require a full face. As a matter of fact, they rent only open face helmets.

That being said, I would still use a full face. I had an accident last year with a full face and still knocked unconscious.
I was there and that scared the shit out of me. You do not skimp on safety people, the life you save could be your own.

T.

PS. So glad you came out OK on that one.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #27
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
1- The OP was asking about helmets for autocross, not full on tracking.

2- The thread is not about fire protection.

3- If you look at the number of laps turned by cars participating in autocross events and compare that to how many actually crash, my guess is that you can logically determine that there are very few crashes in relation to the number of cars and laps turned in these events across the country.

I also don't think it's a stretch to assume that of that small amount of crashes during autocross events, only a tiny fraction of those would cause a car to burst into flames or potentially have fire as an issue at all. Even if you lost the odds and it happened, you'd probably not be incapacitated to the point you were trapped or unconscious in the car and you couldn't get out before you were burned. I don't see anyone talking about wearing a fire suit and gloves, so I also think it's logical to assume you'd be wearing cotton pants and shirt and I don't see anyone criticizing people for that. If you're on fire and burning that badly that a cotton hoodie comes into play, IMO you're already ****ed. If you're talking about wearing a full fire suit, gloves and shoes I agree 1000% you should have a fire resistant hoodie.

4- Some of you guys can really be condescending when it comes to a comment you disagree with. I'm going to refrain in posting what I really feel like posting about that.
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #28
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
1. True. But if there is any chance whatsoever that a little autocrossing might lead to getting out on the big tracks you might as well prepare for that from the get-go. Ten years (the remaining life of the 2010 spec) is plenty of time to get the track day bug.

FWIW, the SCCA rulebook lists the acceptable SA specs ahead of M, K, and what-not . . . presumably for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 SCCA Solo Rules
4.3 DRIVER’S SAFETY EQUIPMENT
4.3.1 H
ELMETS

Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell
Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010,
M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable.
ALL - Keep in mind that none of the 2000 specs are going to be good much longer.
Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote