Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Is camaro gas pedal drive-by-wire

Does anyone know if the new Camaro has a drive-by-wire gas pedal (like the new mustang GT)? I would assume if the CTS or GTO has that, then the Camaro has it. I don't think I like that.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Does anyone know if the new Camaro has a drive-by-wire gas pedal (like the new mustang GT)? I would assume if the CTS or GTO has that, then the Camaro has it. I don't think I like that.
LS3s and the 3.x DEI motors are drive by wire.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
It's been on the vette since 1997. GM has it dialed in real nice. I never had any issues on my 2 C5's and 2 C6's.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The technology was a little buggy in the early 90's, It's good enough now if no one told you, you wouldn't know it. You may have already driven a 'by wire' car and didn't realize it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: Demon Super Sport
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Expect all new cars to be drive-by-wire.
SUBJ: Operation Demon//
REF: Buy at Invoice, Forum Rules
1. RESPECT ALL CARS. LOVE YOUR OWN.//BT
warn 144:154 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Maybe I'm wrong...but I thought the "old" way was called drive-by-wire...of course I don't know what the "new" way is called if that is the case...It makes more sense to me that if the gas pedal in most new cars is essentially a potentiometer telling a computer how to manipulate the engine it wouldn't be called "drive-by-wire".

Like I said...I might be wrong...in fact, probably am. Can someone clarify this for me?
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
Maybe I'm wrong...but I thought the "old" way was called drive-by-wire...of course I don't know what the "new" way is called if that is the case...It makes more sense to me that if the gas pedal in most new cars is essentially a potentiometer telling a computer how to manipulate the engine it wouldn't be called "drive-by-wire".

Like I said...I might be wrong...in fact, probably am. Can someone clarify this for me?
I think it is an ever-improving system, much like comparing early blowers that stick out of muscle car hoods to new blowers that are much more efficient. Before drive-by-wire, there was a mechanical system. Drive-by-wire improves as research and development finds better ways to tune engines to use fuel and feel more responsive to the driver. Someone else, I'm sure, will be able to elaborate more on the specifics of both mechanical and electronic methods of driving.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The old way was 'throttle cable' like on your lawn mower. Throttle by wire is basically like you describe, a throttle position sensor at the pedal feeding signal to the ECU and it feeding signal to an electric motor opening and closing the throttle body.

That's also how they can integrate systems like traction control, the ECU calculates how much throttle you need without roasting tires, not how much throttle your foot wants.

I guess the correct term would be "throttle by electronic signal" rather than cable
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Will it be better than on the newer mustangs? I worked at a ford dealership, and if you suddenly stabbed the gas and let off, the car wouldnt even respond to the pedal motion till a half second after you had let off the gas. It wasnt terrible but always annoyed me, it wasnt as responsive as my 98 z28, that has a cable. I havent driven any newer GM cars lately though to compare the mustang too.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Will it be better than on the newer mustangs? I worked at a ford dealership, and if you suddenly stabbed the gas and let off, the car wouldnt even respond to the pedal motion till a half second after you had let off the gas. It wasnt terrible but always annoyed me, it wasnt as responsive as my 98 z28, that has a cable. I havent driven any newer GM cars lately though to compare the mustang too.
That won't be a problem. GM wants you to feel in control of the car. They've worked harder on this car than any in recent memory. I can't imagine them overlooking such a simple problem.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
I wonder if this will mean that when you hit the gas and the brake at the same time the gas will shut off? I find it hard to trail-brake and drift with that!!
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I wonder if this will mean that when you hit the gas and the brake at the same time the gas will shut off? I find it hard to trail-brake and drift with that!!
How much drifting are you really going to be doing?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
This is probably more a result of the time it takes for the fuel charge you just dumped into the engine at idle to take effect. These sensors and servos work pretty quick.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
None if I can't get control with my outta control ways.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote