Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #29
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
You guys are pretty harsh on the kid. When I was a kid, I didn't get $h1t. I may be spoiling my kids, but I want them to have stuff. Yeah, it's all great and everything that I "made my own way" in this world, but it would have been nice to have a little help from my parents along the way. Maybe my case was extreme, I don't know, but I'll be damned if my kids have to struggle like I did to get some nice stuff.
That being said, I'm not going to buy them a Camaro. The reason is mainly financial though. I simply couldn't afford to do so. If I could, I'd buy them each a Gallardo if that's what they wanted. Like I said, maybe my situation was a bit more extreme than others, but when I say we didn't have ANYTHING, I mean that with all sincerity. I HAVE worked hard to get where I am and I know my kids will do the same, but they'll get some help from ol' pops along the way.

I used to be proud to say "I'm a self made man". Now I think about it and it makes me sad that it's true. No one should have to be self made. People should have someone to help them in the making. My kids do and I'm at least proud of that.

So enjoy your car, youngstah! Not everyone gets an opportunity to drive a unit like that. Take good care of it and don't do too much stupid crap in it.
You have my vote. And tell your mom thanks and give her extra hugs and stuff. Moms dig that stuff.
y0diggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
no body ever touches my steering wheel not my mom not my friends no body drives my car at any time hell if i got to drop it off for an oil change or anything i hate the fact they got to drive it 20 feet into the bay

just how i am always will be no matter what car i drive i mean i may let my mom drive it one day but i owned another car for 2 years and she never drove it nor did anyone but that's just me

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #31
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
I had a '97 Camaro V6 in high school. It was about 4 years old when my parents bought it for me and had about 40k miles. The agreement was is if I continued to keep my grades up and stayed out of trouble, I was free to drive the car, customize it, etc. It was mine.

But mom/dad always had an extra set of keys. Mom never wanted to drive it-- she has arthritis so shifting manually is painful for her hands. Sometimes dad wanted to drive it, and that was his option. He paid for the car. I never liked that he could drive it whenever, but just letting him do it and being thankful that he provided me a car was the right thing to do, especially in retrospect. Even if he looked a little "old" for it (blue Camaro, tinted windows, big chrome exhaust tips, and a panasonic stereo with a blue LED

I'm 28 now, and the first day I had my new SS (bought and paid for, by me, it lives in MY garage) I asked my dad if he wanted to take it out for a spin. To my surprise, he said no . I want to make sure he gets to, because I know he wants to. But I think he was just trying to be respectful (or maybe he doesn't like the car...hah)
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #32
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Talking El Camino / AC/DC! WAT!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
20 years ago a kid hauling my groceries out to my el camino said "you must be driving your kids' car" because I had an AC/DC sticker in the back window, loud exhaust, and chrome wheels.
After I told him it was my car he said he didn't think it could be mine because he didn't know any grown ups who listened to AC/DC.
I told him he hung around with the wrong grown ups.

I love this woman. . . . yes my wife already knows! lol
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #33
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottyyyyyyyyy View Post
Thank you! I know I am VERY lucky

Oh, and don't forget this stuff when YOU have kids. Be good to your family, they're all you'll ever have.
When those guys want to go cruise in your 2020 Camaro, toss 'em the keys and say "Be home by midnight, and put some gas in it for the love of Pete! And make sure you wear a seatbelt. And tell that pot-smokin' kid to keep that crap outta my car!" Then just put your head back behind your newspaper and smile.
y0diggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #34
Jimi Mack

Drives: 2011 LT1 RS
Let your mom drive the car! I lost my mother a few years back and I'd give anything to watch the smile on her face if I let her drive it. Dad used to call her "Leadfoot" because she'd take my dad's '56 Ford Pick-up shopping on Saturdays and would pop the clutch on that bad-girl and lay some rubber in the driveway every time. I sure miss her and I'd give anything to let her drive my LT is "S" mode!
Jimi Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #35
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I left my car at home while I was overseas in the service, and for awhile my Mom wasn't allowed to drive my car, because when I got home two of my new tires were bald. Seems someone was having a lot of fun running the car so the gas wouldn't get old. It has been 25 years, I guess I would let her drive my car if she wanted to now. You can't hold a grudge forever.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #36
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Well for me I got a manual. But I am 17 and if my dad wants to drive I have to let him. I don't say that in a bad way cause he paid for the car. his deal was with me was that if I did good in school and stayed out of trouble he would get me the car I wanted. Even without him saying he would get me a car I did good in school since it would give me a better future. Now yes I know I am spoiled. But I DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED and I respect the power the car has to offer. I do not take the car to school since I don't want anything happening to it. I can still take a bus.

Now to the op congrats on the car. Keep up the good the good work.

Alright I'm ready for any bashing that comes my way
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #37
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Well for me I got a manual. But I am 17 and if my dad wants to drive I have to let him. I don't say that in a bad way cause he paid for the car. his deal was with me was that if I did good in school and stayed out of trouble he would get me the car I wanted. Even without him saying he would get me a car I did good in school since it would give me a better future. Now yes I know I am spoiled. But I DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED and I respect the power the car has to offer. I do not take the car to school since I don't want anything happening to it. I can still take a bus.

Now to the op congrats on the car. Keep up the good the good work.

Alright I'm ready for any bashing that comes my way
No bashing here. But my thoughts are to drive that car to school!! Something could happen to it there, just as easy as a mall, etc. And, just remember in 25 years or so, after you hit it big, maybe buying your dad a BA car from his era that he's always wanted!
chalkupanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #38
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
No bashing here. But my thoughts are to drive that car to school!! Something could happen to it there, just as easy as a mall, etc. And, just remember in 25 years or so, after you hit it big, maybe buying your dad a BA car from his era that he's always wanted!
well I rarely drive my camaro had it since september 09 and only has 3100 miles. The kids at my school are stupid. They got in like 7 crashes in the first week last year. But if I can I will buy him a nice corvette. He wants a 59 our a ZR1 lets see what's in my future
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote