Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #71
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Thanks for sharing Graham. Wondering, did you guys happen to catch what the IAT's were doing?
Yes...............................................

On dyno pull in 4th, got up to 128 f from a 80 f starting point stock, at the track with increased boost.................... oh but thats another story

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #72
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
Oh boy, already starting to see the "under rated" bs. Now this is going to mean the ZL1 is making 600+bhp.

(dyno's are just tools for tuning)

Very nice rides tho!! I especially like the yellow with black wheels!! Sick!!
I agree...dynos are just for tuning and it will be nice when more dyno results start comming in to see what they are saying before we can come to any sort of conclusion.

What I'm suprised to see is that TQ number being pretty much as high as the HP number. Isn't this car rated at 580/556?

Assuming this dyno is fairly accurate with its numbers and not just reading high, that would mean either the car is putting down more than expected, or that the car has a pretty low drivetrain loss...under 10% loss with that TQ number. Is that even possible?

Ford certainly seems to have underrated its GT and Boss...(unless it too has a magically low drivetrain loss percentage) so would be a nice suprise if Chevy did it here. I just wouldn't count on it lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #73
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
It's nice to finally see some numbers!! The cool thing about this car is a pulley, intake, long tube and tune combo and we'll be seeing 600rwhp.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #74
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
If these pulls were done yesterday, I can tell you the weather in the midwest was very good for making power. These things will be a real monster with some break in and minor tweaks. :-)
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #75
GT_Premi
Account Suspended

Drives: four tires and a steering wheel
Quote:
Oh boy, already starting to see the "under rated" bs. Now this is going to mean the ZL1 is making 600+bhp.

That's because they're choosing to be non-observant. If they actually look at the dyno sheets, they'll see the Mustang dyno only shows 495HP. That 518 number was on a Dynojet. And let's not forget it was probably pretty cold and that's probably why they didn't bother turning the fan on in front of the car.

GT_Premi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
The max on the Mustang dyno sheet is 503 I believe...
Also, unless these guys are bound and determined to be suspect, the numbers are corrected. That means the cold weather is taken into consideration when plotting the power graph. What it does not take into consideration, is the fact that these are FI cars, and it's correcting for an N/A car, so give back a few percent based on that. Turbo cars always look overly powerful when corrected, especially 15psi plus cars.
Still neat to see, as the GT500 gets the same treatment with the correction factor.
Intake, pulley, and exhaust....575whp?
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #77
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
All numbers on dyno sheets are with SAE correction as stated, due to the prevailing weather conditions on the day, the uncorrected numbers are higher.

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #78
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Premi View Post
That's because they're choosing to be non-observant. If they actually look at the dyno sheets, they'll see the Mustang dyno only shows 495HP. That 518 number was on a Dynojet. And let's not forget it was probably pretty cold and that's probably why they didn't bother turning the fan on in front of the car.

uh oh...Ford boys must have gotten wind of this thread.

Which stang' forum did you come from?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #79
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
500-510 is what was posted on yellowbullet from this same video, as well note thats on a mustangdyno
what do you mean by when you say note thats on a mustang dyno

to everyone else stop complaining about the HP first of all when they advertise the HP and torque of a car they are talking about at the flywheel...not to the wheel dynos show what HP you are actually getting to the wheels
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #80
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg11 View Post
what do you mean by when you say note thats on a mustang dyno

to everyone else stop complaining about the HP first of all when they advertise the HP and torque of a car they are talking about at the flywheel...not to the wheel dynos show what HP you are actually getting to the wheels
There are mustang dynos, then there are dynojets. They record the power differently. A dynojet typically yields higher numbers than a mustang dyno because it is an inertia dyno and the only resistance is the 2500lb rollers, a mustang dyno is more accurate to what you'd put to the street because of there being more resistance and it actually measuring the force being put on the rollers.

Better explanation here from http://ls1tech.com/forums/11468376-post12.html :
Quote:
I have written pages and pages of posts on this topic on various forums. Here's a little write up I did a few weeks ago. . .

DynoJets are inertia dynos, and have been around for years, much longer than any type of load cell dyno. Inertia dyno's work on the principle of the acceleration of a known mass over time. Their rollers are the known mass. Weighing in at over 2500lbs or so. Your car gets strapped down to the machine, and the dyno collects it's data. It is able to calculate horsepower by measuring the acceleration in rpm of the rollers in regards to RPM. This is why gearing can affect the dyno results, more on that in a bit. Now that the dyno has recorded the horsepower curve, it can take the integral of that curve and get the torque curve. Since the dyno’s power calculations are based on the acceleration of mass over time in regards to RPM, gearing is very important. Since a vehicle with a lower gear ratio can accelerate the mass to a higher speed using less engine RPM, it will show a higher horsepower number than a car with a higher gear ratio. If a car is able to accelerate the dyno’s rollers from 200rpm (roller) to 300rpm (roller)in 1500rpm (engine), then the dyno is going to record more power than a car that did that in 2000rpm (engine).

Now we go to Mustang dyno’s and other loaded dyno’s. Our Mustang MD-1100SE dyno’s rollers weigh 2560lbs. That is the actual mass of the rollers, much like the DynoJet. That’s about where all the similarities end. When we get a car on our dyno, we enter two constants for the dyno’s algorithms. One being the vehicle weight, the other being what’s called “Horsepower At 50mph”. This is a number that represents how much horsepower it takes for the vehicle to push the air to maintain 50mph. This is used as the aerodynamic force. Mustang dyno’s are also equipped with a eddy currant load cell. Think of a magnetic brake from a freight train. This magnetic brake can apply enough resistance to stall a big rig. Off one side of the eddy currant load cell, there is a cantilever with a 5volt reference load sensor (strain gage). As the rollers are spinning this load sensor is measuring the actual torque being applied. So as the rollers spin, the load sensor is measuring the force being applied, sending that information to the dyno computer, taking into account the two constants entered earlier, computing the amount of resistance needed to be applied to the rollers to load the car so that the force of the rollers resistance is as close to the force the car sees on the street. The dyno is then able to calculate the total force being applied to the rollers in torque, and then taking the derivative of that torque curve to arrive at the horsepower curve. Since torque is an actual force of nature, like gravity and electricity, it can be directly measured. Horsepower is an idea that was thought up by man, and cannot be directly measured, only calculated.

I like to state it like this. . . I start by asking how much your car weighs, lets say 3500lbs. Now you take your car and you make a make a WOT rip in your tallest non overdrive gear, how much mass is your engine working against? 3500lbs right? Now you strap your car on a DynoJet and you make a WOT in the same gear, how much mass is your engine working against? 2500lbs right? Now you strap your car on a Mustang dyno, how much mass is your engine working against? 2500lbs. Plus the resistance being applied by the eddy current generator. We’ve seen anywhere for 470lbs of resistance to over 700lbs of resistance as measured in PAU force in the data logs. So which one is more accurate? Well they their both accurate. If a DynoJet dyno says you made 460rwhp, then you made 460rwhp. If a Mustang dyno says you made 460rwhp, you also made 460rwhp. Now which one of those numbers best represents what your car is doing when its on the street. That’s a different question.

The most important thing to remember is that a dyno is a testing tool. If the numbers keep increasing, then you’re doing the right thing. We try to look over at NET gain, instead of Peak HP numbers. A 30rwhp increase is a 30rwhp increase regardless of what dyno it is on.

Now I can address how to calculate the difference between one type of dyno and another. Simply put, you can’t. Because Mustang dyno’s have so many more variables, it’s not a simple percentage difference. We’ve had cars that made 422rwhp on our Dyno, two days later make 458rwhp on a DynoJet the next day. We’ve also had cars that made 550rwhp on our dyno, make 650+rwhp on a DynoJet a few days later at another shops Dyno Day. For instance, my 2002 Z28 with a forged internal LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake, makes 460rwhp on our dyno. I thought that was a little low, since I’ve had cam only LS6 Z06 vettes make 450rwhp. So I overlaid the dyno graphs. Guess what, the PAU force for my car was almost 200lbs more than the C5Z06 that made 450rwhp with cam only. So I entered the weight and horsepower at 50 number for a C5Z06 and did another horsepower rip with my car. The only reason I did that was to compare Apples to Apples. This time my car made 490rwhp, no other changes. Now I don’t go around saying my car made 490rwhp, I say what it actually did with the correct information entered into the computer. It made 460rwhp. Now if I ever get a chance to take it on a DynoJet (which I plan to in the spring), I have no doubts it’ll be over 500rwhp. I know this based on airflow and fuel consumption on the data logs.

But since we’re asked this question constantly we're fairly conservative, and hence tell our customers that the difference is closer to 6-7%, but as you make more power, and the more your car weighs, the difference increases as well. You must remember, Dyno's regardless of the type are tuning tools, and are in no means meant to tell people how fast their car is. Now which one is more "real world" is a totally different question. I like to explain it like this..... If you drive your car in a situation in which you have no mass and you're in a vacuum, so basically if you do intergalactic racing in space, use a DynoJet. If your car sees gravity, and has an aerodynamic coefficient, and you race on a planet called Earth, then use a Mustang Dyno
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #81
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
The max on the Mustang dyno sheet is 503 I believe...
Also, unless these guys are bound and determined to be suspect, the numbers are corrected. That means the cold weather is taken into consideration when plotting the power graph. What it does not take into consideration, is the fact that these are FI cars, and it's correcting for an N/A car, so give back a few percent based on that. Turbo cars always look overly powerful when corrected, especially 15psi plus cars.
Still neat to see, as the GT500 gets the same treatment with the correction factor.
Intake, pulley, and exhaust....575whp?
I would say with an intake, pulley & exhaust - the ZL1 will be closer to 600whp. The ZL1's are going to be monsters with some bolt on upgrades. I can't wait to see the ZL1's up there when I pick up my V.

My CTS-V just got done up at LPE on the same dyno and it ran 583hp & 583tq with an 8.66 lower, 2.55upper, ID850's, Kooks headers & New Era CAI. My baseline with Kooks headers & New Era CAI was 520hp & 497tq. Graham and the boys at LPE are at the top of their game, as always!
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #82
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:

(dyno's are just tools for tuning)

Very nice rides tho!! I especially like the yellow with black wheels!! Sick!!

they are just following in the footsteps of..... C6 ls3's, all LS3's, 2011 5.0's, and of course 392 hemi's.

in spite of SAE certifications, they are all underrated by 20-80hp.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #83
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Wow....looks like the zl1 is ready! This'll be an interesting year....

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #84
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Wow....looks like the zl1 is ready! This'll be an interesting year....
Ready for what?
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro z1l dyno, camaro zl1 dyno figures, camaro zl1 dyno numbers, camaro zl1 dyno results, camaro zl1 dyno video, zl1 dyno, zl1 dyno figures, zl1 dyno numbers, zl1 dyno video