Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
I got stripes and my car had 12 miles on it when it came off the car hauler from the rail yard..

On a sad note and Im not complaining.. the left side of my rally stripes are off center so my dealer ordered them and I have a company here going to put them on. No one is perfect right.. its all good and will be taken care of.
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
fast orange
Account Suspended

Drives: 2003 Corvette, 2009 ChallengerSRT8
the stripes are installed at Johnson Controls on South Blair St. Whitby Ont, at one time they installed a part on the Chevy SS truck, that plant used to be owned by Techstar
fast orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #31
fast orange
Account Suspended

Drives: 2003 Corvette, 2009 ChallengerSRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post
You are correct, this is in Oshawa. They also do police packages on the Impala.

We were also told they put the stripes on the Camaro. Perhaps they are put on both in Whitby and Oshawa? Would certainly explain why some cars don't have over 12 mi on the odometer at customer delivery, yet they have 'factory' installed stripes.
you could be right about the stripes, i used to see a lot of Camaros there, now i don't
fast orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #32
PUNKIN
WE KRUZ

Drives: MARGARET CRAZZY
Our car had 10 miles on it when we picked it up last week...and the stripes were on it before it arrived at the dealers.
WHITE STRIPES
20 INCH POLISHED WHEELS
BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR
:5thgenvert:
PUNKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #33
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Inferno View Post
We've been to the stripe facility twice in the last two weeks. Great buch of guys there. Also gives me a chance to continue my stick lessons on the long industrial road there!
Ah... hem.... Joe... I've seen pictures of what you do to your rear tires. You don't need any pratice

To clear things up - The Pics Anna posted are at the facility in east Oshawa where the police cars are done up. Also used as a storage facility. Last I heard there was no work done on Camaros at this facility. (Until they start some police camaros that is ) Stripes are installed at a location in Whitby, which is correctly descrbed in this thread as about 5 miles West of GM Oshawa. Yes they drive them. Loading them on trucks or rail cars for 4 miles would be a rediculous waste of time. Plus, truck transport will get them covered in just as much salt I'm afriad.

Getting the cars of the end of the line over the the GenAuto shipping lot, then onto rail/trucks etc. involves 3-4 miles of driving (min) and yes some of that is on public roads which are salted in the winter. Sorry - better that than a crash. As for them driving the piss out of them. Maybe - if you have a VIN < 1000. The cars are all moved by GenAuto employees. They handle new cars all day long. They are professionals. Think about it. These guys drive upwards of 100 camaros over to the lot per day each. back and forth, 5-6 days a week, same route, different colour car. Even the Camaros get boring after a while. Unless you buy a Rolls Royce that is somehow magically teleported from the end of the production line to your driveway, EVERY car is going to be driven a few miles by some guys and gals before you get it. Such is life.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #34
jimsss

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
They are going to be driving our new Camaros through the SALT!
12 miles, 10 miles, whatever it is. If you are ordering now through, probably March! Does this not bother anyone else?
Thats like having your virgin wife only slightly... Well you know what I mean. : )

Last edited by jimsss; 11-13-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: addition
jimsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #35
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsss View Post
12 miles, 10 miles, whatever it is. If you are ordering now through, probably March! Does this not bother anyone else?
Thats like having your virgin wife only slightly... Well you know what I mean.
If it bothers you so much don't order in the winter.

Easy fix.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #36
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
That Kerr facility pictured above had a TON of Camaros, particularly during the QA Holds. They do build police cars and other custom vehicles, but according to their sign they can also do Quality Control, etc. I've wondered if they were doing some of the checks or possibly repairs for GM during the holds for battery wire issues and transmission issues.

Not long after their lot started to empty of Camaro's, the orders starting shipping. I don't know for sure what they did.. It would be interesting to know!

If you check this link on Google, you will see it lists this as "BMW Durham". This is also where BMW has some of their Canadian offices, to the east of the dealer. About a year ago, the dealer was moved to the Ajax area. Not so long ago, a company started leasing a bunch of the back lot space, and the vehicles are being striped there. I have a friend who works at the factory behind the lot, and a friend who works for BMW, and we have gone to look at all the Camaros parked there. Pretty cool.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...06968&t=h&z=18
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
STORMTROOPER

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS 2018 ABM ZL1
miles on new cars

For those of you that may have 12 to 30 miles on your cars when picked up. It may not be the dealer putting all of them on. Seems I remember talking to one of the factory guy's when we went to Oshawa for the meet that some cars are picked to have road tests completed on them. Just another way for them to insure they are making the best product as possible.
There are other here I am sure that can tell you more about this.
STORMTROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #38
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Question: My dealer is ordering my 2SS 6pd. orange/orange,black seats 2SS Camaro today. I prefer the black stripes are put on at the factory cause we don't have anyone around here that can do it right. But he told me the other day that the stripe kit will come with the car and have to be put on here. Are you saying he's wrong (hope so)
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #39
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
Question: My dealer is ordering my 2SS 6pd. orange/orange,black seats 2SS Camaro today. I prefer the black stripes are put on at the factory cause we don't have anyone around here that can do it right. But he told me the other day that the stripe kit will come with the car and have to be put on here. Are you saying he's wrong (hope so)
He's dead wrong.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #40
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsss View Post
Thats like having your virgin wife only slightly... Well you know what I mean. : )
Good lord........
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
jpetro
JPetro

Drives: 02 Sunfire
As far as the GM employees beating the car for 12 miles, just stop and think. They get paid by the hour, how fast would you drive a car 12 miles. And as far as salt and sand I sure GM is going to take good care of that road. That is probably going to be the cleanest stretch for road in Canada.

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
jpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #42
Elvisuperman
TCB

Drives: 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT
Here are the pics I took and posted a while back of the GFX location in Whitby.

They take Stevenson Rd. north to Champlain and turn left, heading west. Champlain becomes Consumers Drive west of Thickson Rd. in Whitby. They then proceed to Hopkins St. and turn left (south) when they get to the intersection.
Hopkins becomes Champlain court just south of Consumers Dr... and this is where the cars are done...behind the old BMW location.