Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Need to backup a HDD

I need to back up my work computers HDD, Windows XP home, computer is maybe 6-7 years old so I no longer have the install disks anymore.

Im drawing a blank on the best method on how to do this, would it be easiest to buy a secondary SATA HDD, say 500gb, and load the files onto their?

I need basic stuff, word documents, emails (outlook), programs, etc...

or

Make a clone of the entire hard drive?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
My preference: I never clone drives.

Your 2nd sentence describes what I do. I buy a new drive and install the operating system and all my programs on it. I use the "old" drive as a secondary and copy over only the old data that I really need. I will admit, though, that I obsessively keep all the program and driver discs so I never have to worry about that.

I *LOVE* how much that fresh OS & Software install speeds up the computer after all the errors and fluff have been purged! It's like getting a new computer.

Oh wait, now that I re-read your 2nd sentence -
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAdams View Post
My preference: I never clone drives.

Your 2nd sentence describes what I do. I buy a new drive and install the operating system and all my programs on it. I use the "old" drive as a secondary and copy over only the old data that I really need. I will admit, though, that I obsessively keep all the program and driver discs so I never have to worry about that.

I *LOVE* how much that fresh OS & Software install speeds up the computer after all the errors and fluff have been purged! It's like getting a new computer.

Oh wait, now that I re-read your 2nd sentence -
I agree, a fresh install of a OS and a new HDD=so much faster! I just put a new 1TB Caviar blue into my iMac, what a difference in speed.

I no longer have my retail disks for my windows PC, so thats really my dilemma.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I would suggest using Ghost and dup the drive .... It's about the only way without having the install disk ...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Get acronis true image! Its amazing. You can also wipe drives with it and create backups. I love it. You boot your pc and hook up the other via usb or sata/ ide and an exact image is made. It can also transfer specific folders identically. Read the reviews on newegg.com if you want more feedback on it. Good luck!
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote