Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #239
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Though I have nothing but speculation (like anyone on either side of this frame of thought), but I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure enough people understand the ramifications of the sum of all the features and parts that ZL1 will embrace.

First - there's the power. Okay - this is where, if anywhere, I would have any worry or concern about performance. While I think ZL1 might get up to about 580 horsepower, I'm not sure if that's enough staying power to keep fighting off the GT500 until the end of it's run for this generation. I don't know if I believe reports of 620 horsepower, however, I believe replacing the current Eaton with the newer 2300, it would be pretty easy to get to 600. Would I care if there was a 20 horsepower disparity? No - considering the following. Besides, I'll be pushing my warranty anyways, lol.

Next - the chassis. New generation Electric Power Steering (EPS) and next generation Magnetic Ride (MR) suspension systems, in addition to the newly announced Performance Traction Management (PTM). While the GT500 already posesses this feature, EPS would impart ZL1 with similar tunability from the engineers to maximized feel and handling. The MR is something the competition doesn't have and allows track settings for all-out fast times and a touring-type ride for on your way home. Look how effective this feature is on GM's other two top rides: ZR1 and CTS-V. They pretty much OWN nearly all cars in their respective segments and price ranges. The closest car to ZR1 is the GTR if I understand correctly and the improvements to the '12 ZR1 should pretty much keep it at bay and only the Panamera is faster around the 'Ring than CTS-V, and it's something like nearly twice as much money. PTM is another feature on ZL1 that will make the most of the power available from ZL1's LSA. This is a reason I'm not too worried about the GT500. These three systems, working together, are going to be quite formidable for any car in ZL1's price point.

Furthermore - powertrain. While ZL1 may be giving up in 4-digit power potential with it's LSA, OEM power should be great. In addition, from the balancer back, it's going to be built to take the abuse. While not many details have been confirmed by GM, recently, we've seen a tiny bit of the cast iron differential case on ZL1. Comparing it's relative size to respective SS differential cases, it's reasonable to extrapolate that it's ring and pinion are going to be seriously strong. While there's no confirmation on the exact size, members have stated it's a 14-bolt ring and pinion, which in truck terms, meant either a 9.5" or 10.5" ring gear. For those that don't know, those were used in 3/4 and 1-ton pickup trucks. There's no confirmation, but I think the extrapolation is sound. In addition, we've seen one axle shaft and a member reported it was the "small" one. It's spline count wasn't announced, but it looks probably in the neighborhood of the low-to-mid 30s, which is highly desirable for strength.

Finally - aerodynamics, brakes, and tires. GM's stated a deliberate effort was made to tune aerodynamics and DOWNFORCE for ZL1. What this will translate to, is using more of that LSA power around and down the track or the strip. Pushing that car down will impart more tire friction and result in higher grip from the new Generation II F1s. The are still working with Goodyear (from what I've gathered) and a lighter and wider wheel and tire package (from SS) will impart greater available traction and allow to carry the speed into and out of the corners more effective. The 6-piston front calipers, along with the 0.5" larger rotors will bleed the heat off better and stave off brake fade more effectively.

GM's stated many times that they don't want to be equal to the competition - they want to dominate. With the improvements to the '12 V6s, the upgrades for SS, and the introduction of ZL1, I believe they are completely serious. For a person to have an opinion otherwise on a CAMARO website confuses me, so I could've just wasted the last half hour with all the crap I posted above. Take it or leave it. I'll spend my money where I like, like everyone else. Just don't come into this Section, with the attitude it seemed like you had, and not expect some flames.

Over-and-out.
Wasted? Noo...

I quite enjoyed reading that post! More than I have in a very long time!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #240
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Great post, radz28! Well said sir.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #241
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Thumbs up 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Gets Optional Six-Speed Automatic Transmission

Link to this article in Motor Trend appeared on the Camaro Facebook page this morning:

http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-chevr...ion-86545.html

Buyers who opt for the high-performance 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will now have a choice between automatic and manual transmissions. Though the company had previously said it would only come with a true manual transmission, Chevrolet says that high customer demand means the ZL1 is also being offered with an optional six-speed automatic.

Chevrolet Camaro spokesman David Caldwell told us that the company had been considering offering the ZL1 with an automatic transmission for some time, and once customer feedback indicated there was a strong interest in such an option, the company made the decision to develop the transmission. Caldwell said “the majority” of Camaros are sold with automatics.
The ZL1’s automatic will be a six-speed unit with manual shift controls. It’s a unique transmission that is designed for the high power and torque loads of the ZL1’s engine, but Caldwell told us the design is a “sister” to the automatics employed by the Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac CTS-V.
We also learned that the Camaro ZL1 will score Performance Traction Management, which debuted on the Corvette ZR1 and can now be optioned on the Corvette Z06. PTM is an extension of traction control that modulates engine torque to maintain maximum grip and acceleration when cornering.
The 2012 Camaro ZL1 bowed at the Chicago auto show earlier this year, with a supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8 engine under the hood, and output ratings of 550 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque. Those could change before the car reaches production, though, as Chevrolet previously said it was still fine-tuning the engine’s performance. The current Camaro SS boats 426 hp and 420 lb-ft from a normally aspirated 6.2-liter V-8.
To keep the ZL1 on the road and out of ditches, it rides on lightweight 20-inch wheels, has upgraded brakes (14.6-inch discs front, 14.4-inch discs rear), and Magnetic Ride Control suspension. The ZL1 wears a chiseled new look thanks to a new front fascia and rear diffuser, and trims weight with a hood made from aluminum and carbon fiber.
Expect the gutsy Camaro ZL1 to go on sale around February 2012.
Source: Chevrolet

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-chevr...#ixzz1PMRgMcKc
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #242
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
We knew before Motor Trend...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #243
Rashed

Drives: Camaro black-LT\RS 2011
GREAT

We are waiting to produce the car in feb2012

and also waiting for the price that the ZL1 will be on
Rashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #244
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
I like this part the best and thought the others here who voted for it would appreciate it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shl4Z28 View Post
Chevrolet Camaro spokesman David Caldwell told us that the company had been considering offering the ZL1 with an automatic transmission for some time, and once customer feedback indicated there was a strong interest in such an option, the company made the decision to develop the transmission. Caldwell said “the majority” of Camaros are sold with automatics.
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #245
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Wasted? Noo...

I quite enjoyed reading that post!

I agree! GREAT Post!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #246
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Uber-Freakin' Well Said, radZ28

As Inigo Montoya said in Princess Bride, "So, let me 'splain. No, there's too much. Let me sum up. "
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #247
HP Addicts

Drives: N/A
Can't wait to see what the autos run at the track!
HP Addicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #248
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Addicts View Post
I'm hoping it will be in the 12.0 range or maybe into the high 11s.......that will put a bad taste in Shelby owners mouths...lol

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #249
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Addicts View Post
If its at all like the CTS-V, it should be quicker than the manuals
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #250
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
I think this will be helpful as a reference.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...qF_Xzjl4&gl=US

Based on the numbers in this vid, how much power and weight would the Z need to gain/lose to get into the sub 3 sec 0 to 60 and sub 12 sec 1/4 mile?
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #251
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
I think this will be helpful as a reference.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...qF_Xzjl4&gl=US

Based on the numbers in this vid, how much power and weight would the Z need to gain/lose to get into the sub 3 sec 0 to 60 and sub 12 sec 1/4 mile?
Assuming you meant sub 4 sec 0-60, I'd say that a 4100 lb ZL1 with 560 hp should manage to pull both of those off.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #252
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Assuming you meant sub 4 sec 0-60
Yes indeed. I thought about that after posting.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote