Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@borla View Post
Getting rid of the front muffler makes the biggest difference. Sound, weight and performance. The interior resonance is pretty minimal. Every one has a sense of sound though. Some guys want it louder inside while others think our touring kit is too loud. It is tough to make every one happy
Just out of curiosity, what are you considering the front muffler?

After the factory cats there is the H-Pipe. On the LS3 it's just a normal looking but small H-Pipe. On the L99 it's a big monster of a looking muffler and from my understanding it's used to quiet down the sound of the AFM.

Then there is the resonators after that.

Then there is the factory mufflers at the back of the exhaust.

So when you say the "front muffler" are you refering to the H-Pipe or the Resonator or both?

Just curious because your engineers have a lot more experience than the average joe dealing with the exhaust.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
2Fast4U2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Headers and Catbacks

Quote:
Getting rid of the front muffler makes the biggest difference. Sound, weight and performance. The interior resonance is pretty minimal. Every one has a sense of sound though. Some guys want it louder inside while others think our touring kit is too loud. It is tough to make every one happy
Chris,

I'm looking to buy Borla catbacks#140280 and headers. Want kind of package deal can you give me if any. I know better than going direct with the main company because the price is always high, but what the hell. A Man got to try, I've been shopping for the best price for my money.

Also if I decide to just go Catbacks, I can still add headers later to the catback system correct? Thanks
2Fast4U2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
dont get me wrong i have the borla cat back and i love it but he asked about drone i personally like it, i was just showing other options but i think he wants borla anyway its top quality i even mirror pollished mine from the axle back!!
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
chris@borla

Drives: 02 True Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you considering the front muffler?

After the factory cats there is the H-Pipe. On the LS3 it's just a normal looking but small H-Pipe. On the L99 it's a big monster of a looking muffler and from my understanding it's used to quiet down the sound of the AFM.

Then there is the resonators after that.

Then there is the factory mufflers at the back of the exhaust.

So when you say the "front muffler" are you refering to the H-Pipe or the Resonator or both?

Just curious because your engineers have a lot more experience than the average joe dealing with the exhaust.
The L99 has the ginormous mid/front muffler. That is what I was referring to.
chris@borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
gmwheels

Drives: 2010 2SS RS black with IOI
is the L99 the V6?
gmwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwheels View Post
is the L99 the V6?
Nope....

L99 is the 400 hp V8 that comes in the SS w/automatics.

LS3 is the 426 hp V8 that comes in the SS w/manual trans.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
I have the axle back and the sound is the same as a catback that I've also heard. Neither will give you extra horsepower, save the money and even install it yourself in about an hour.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
mtbikerinme83

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3-M6
Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on installing it myself, I always do all my own automotive work since I dont trust anyone else to do it right. Exhaust is easy, did it on my 98 T/A WS6.

Part of me wants to save the money and do just the axleback, but at the same time, if I do the catback, it will get rid of the resonators, which should help give a little more sound. Choices choices....

Previously:
2010 IBM 2SS LS3-M6
CAI intake with JRE race scoop, VMax TB, Solo HF Catted Mid pipes, and JRE SCT tune
mtbikerinme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
dwebster
DW's 2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS LS3-CAI/LG-Corsa
Chris @ Borla - Do you know the answer to my question???
I installed Corsa Cat back to my LS3. Could I buy Borla axle backs and clamp right on with no cutting/welding?
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #24
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Listen to this
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote