Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Dang man, that looks horrible.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #30
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Ya know....Every bit of work ive had done to this damn car other than my own has been sh*t. Nobody does worth a crap work around here...Sucks.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Ya know....Every bit of work ive had done to this damn car other than my own has been sh*t. Nobody does worth a crap work around here...Sucks.
Which is why I got into detailing my own car. Nobody cares about your stuff like you do. I hope you didn't mess with the work. That could bite you big time.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #32
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

No I havent touched it..Ill be swinging it by the shop after work and telling them they need to fix it. Since I was 14 ive built, raced, and detailed my own cars. This wasnt something ive ever done so I thought it would be better for a "professional" to do it...Probably woulda done better myself with a precut template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Which is why I got into detailing my own car. Nobody cares about your stuff like you do. I hope you didn't mess with the work. That could bite you big time.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #33
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Not something you probably want to tackle yourself unless you have significant experience with vinyl or tint installation. There is a definite learned art to installing paint protection film.

Anyway, that doesn't look promising. As others have said, the installer can take a needle and fix air bubbles, but I don't know that those are ever going to look right. Sometimes even after you fix them, you never get the clarity back.

Is there still liquid inside? Or just air? Either way, it's probably time to let the installer take a look at it.

As far as price, $500 is outta line for an install. Probably about what I would charge with 3M paint protection film.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #34
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Took it to the shop after work..The owner said the installer will be in all day today and to bring it back. Said he can fix those in five minutes..Leaves me thinking that hes probably going to poke holes in them...I will make sure and let him know thats unacceptable if thats what he does.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Just a partial in front of the wheel wells on the fenders btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
partial fender as well? reason i asked because, hate to say it, you get what you paid for... :( not sure what the price range is in your area... but a GOOD clear bra job would run u $800-$900 for partial hood/fender, full front and mirrors easily in the bay area, CA...

and yeah, what you got there is NOT acceptable at all!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Took it to the shop after work..The owner said the installer will be in all day today and to bring it back. Said he can fix those in five minutes..Leaves me thinking that hes probably going to poke holes in them...I will make sure and let him know thats unacceptable if thats what he does.
Tell him that up front bro. Don't even wait for him to start. The five minute fix sounds exactly like he's going to poke holes in it. I don't care if you spent $50 or $5000 for the job, it should be right. Yes? That's up to you though.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #37
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Tell him that up front bro. Don't even wait for him to start. The five minute fix sounds exactly like he's going to poke holes in it. I don't care if you spent $50 or $5000 for the job, it should be right. Yes? That's up to you though.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
It is perfectly normal to usea needle to poke a hole in the bubble and depress the film down. It will not leave any marks and you will not even see where he did it. Now if after he does the fix and it still looks bad then have him replace it. But it is very common to use a needle to fix air bubbles.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #39
DetailAddict

Drives: .
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
It is perfectly normal to usea needle to poke a hole in the bubble and depress the film down. It will not leave any marks and you will not even see where he did it. Now if after he does the fix and it still looks bad then have him replace it. But it is very common to use a needle to fix air bubbles.
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #40
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Even after a week on the car? Never had one done before so I don't know. But those pictures....make me cringe. You don't think it will be cloudy underneath with that soap trapped under there for that long? Black car and all?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #41
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Yep, exactly right. Give the installer a chance to fix them. The needle is standard practice. After fixing them, they will sometimes stay a little cloudy and then clear right up - sometimes not. But you should at least give him the chance to correct them before demanding a redo.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
No amount of curing is going to "cure" that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Dang man, that looks horrible.
This!

so far this is the first thread i have seen with such a poor job on the film.

Re-do

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote