Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
joeyea323

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, LS3 M6
Low end torque

I've been reading these forums since I bought the car in February of this year, but this is my first post so I'm sorry if it's a little verbose.
I currently have Dynatech LT Headers with the Hi-Flow Cats, Cold Air Inductions CAI, and a tune from Jannetty Racing for my Diablosport Predator. I love driving the car and feel the bolt-ons did add a noticeable difference to the top end. However, it seems a little sluggish at times at low RPMs. This is most noticeable in 3rd when I'm attempting to accelerate with the RPMs at or below 2 grand. I've had a few instances when the RPMs were that low and I attempted to accelerate hard without downshifting and the engine sounded and felt totally bogged down. It's nothing a quick downshift to 2nd wouldn't solve since around 2500-3000 RPM the car starts its surge forward like a bat outta hell. Still, I would like to gain alot more torque at those RPMs if possible. I would have no problem sacrificing top end power either since 99.99999% of my driving is on the street and most of that is below 4000 RPM.
I would like anyones opinion on how I may accomplish this. The 2 routes I see are camming it and forced induction. A cam is within my price range for a winter project, while forced induction would be at least a year down the road. Since I had a very good experience with Jannetty on the above mentioned mods, I was looking at their 2 cam packages. Does anyone have experience with either of these? If I decide to go forced induction in the future I assume the Street Blower package it what would be recommended, but what are the differences between the 2?
As far as forced induction goes, I'm sold on the MagnaCharger with the TVS2300 compressor. I've read that that supercharger makes lots of low end torque, but are they talking about below 2000 or below 3000?
I appreciate everyones help.
joeyea323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
First off, welcome to the family! Second, Yes with the displacement your working with here, they are a little "sluggish feeling" under 2k. Get above 2k and they really wake up. Supercharger will help a little with that of course, but i find it easy to downshift or just let the rpms climb a little higher to get the torque i want. Yes they are talking about the 1500+ rpm range, but yes under that you will notice improvement... That gear change to 3rd always feels a little sluggish, so i either continue in 2nd till 3k rpm, or just downshift to 2nd if i need torque now... Hope this helps.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
The maggie.....is insane at low end torque.

i'm making close to peak by 3000 rpm....almost 500ftlbs (dynojet conversion)

regardless of dyno numbers...2000- 4000 rpm is the sweet spot...

if i let all my shift occur there its very quick...and i'm not pushing the motor hard at all.

check out the edelbrock, and whipple too.....do it right the first time.

( not saying the maggie isn't sweet.....an easy install. you love it.!!)

ask alot of F/I questions...and get a catch can!!!!
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Get 4.10 gears!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
joeyea323

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, LS3 M6
@MillerTime & Napper: A little north of 2000 RPM seems to work really well for me. At 2500 is when it really seems to kick in. I'm also noticing the big affect weather is having. The temperature has dropped a good 10 degrees on average during the day and even more at night. At night it almost feels like a completely different car.

@Roger Ramjet: I totally forgot about rear end gears. Are you running 4.10s? What are your RPMs like in 6th cruising around 70?
joeyea323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Don't know about the tune, but there are ways to increase low end torque by richening it up and adding timing. You could also get into PE enrichment quicker, but not sure if it makes sense to have it enter PE at below 2000 RPM.

And unless they do you a custom dyno tune, you can't do that with the pred. So you best bet is obviously a supercharger or gears. A cam will help, but most likely not at below 2000 RPM.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Gary G

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2010 CTS V
I have a brand new set of Richmond 4.33 rear gears with a full install kit for sale at a very reasonable price. I paid about $800 for the setup and decided not to install them.
If anyone can use these, I'll take the first $500. And pay the shipping to you.
If I don't sell them, they'll just sit on a shelf in my garage. They are still in the original packaging. These will help your low end issues for sure.
Gary G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
with the displacement your working with here, they are a little "sluggish feeling" under 2k.
What are you on about? If you mean it's too small to produce a lot of torque under 2k, my 305 T/A has a bunch of torque down low. It makes peak torque of 300@3200.

It's the LS motor itself causing the problem. The intake is designed for top end, so there is not as much torque down low. It makes peak torque of 420 at 4600rpm. It's got nothing to do with displacement (in this case), it's the intake.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote