Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Good luck Make sure the dealer uses lube, haha. Trading in cars sucks, but you gotta be happy with your ride.
I work here at the dealer... I get a little bit better break than customers but this is my 6th new car in 6 years so I'm getting used to it. I trade too much
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #44
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I work here at the dealer... I get a little bit better break than customers but this is my 6th new car in 6 years so I'm getting used to it. I trade too much
Haha, yeah I know how that goes! Well at least you have good taste

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
Andrew_MSU

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
In my opinion I agree with what a lot of people are saying here in that if you have an SS trading in for a 1LE is likely not worth it. If I were buying new, however, the $3500 price increase is insanely cheap for what you get and I would def get a 1LE.

Since I got my 2012 SS LS3 I have been mod'ing it and when the 1LE came out I noticed it has mostly what I was looking at mod'ing.

I have put on coil overs which are better in that you can adjust the height and the damping. Adjusting to a more aggressive damping makes a huge difference if you don't mind every day driving having some feel.

Once I upgrade to ZL1 sway bars and add front and rear bushings I am sure my SS will outrun a 1LE without a doubt with regards to suspension.

I also am swapping my final drive to the 3.91. (oh btw the higher dyno numbers for a 1LE should be expected with the torq increase of the higher final drive. Our engine should be equal at the crank not the wheels.)

With these mods and the engine mods I have done (long tubes, CAI, tune, Throt body) I should be able to crush a 1LE. So yes it really has to do with what you want out of the car. I spent more money but will have a much better car. And with the same mods it kind of comes down to two things: the coil overs verse the stock 1LE mono tubes you likely wouldn't buy then swap out and the transmission gearing which I am not convinced once you go to a 3.91 final drive makes any real difference. So because I wanted to go well beyond trading to a 1LE is not worth it. Just invest the money in coil overs, sway bars and a final drive and you can equal or likely even beat a 1LE.
Andrew_MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #46
Andrew_MSU

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Oh and I forgot to mention wheels. I am getting new wheels and tires as well. With the mods I have it is a nightmare to get traction on the stock SS wheels. Def need wider rear wheels at least.

Use the extra money for new wheels and tires too.
Andrew_MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #47
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
No auto/tap shift with the 1LE package? I'd like to have the 1LE handling with tap shift... ZL1's come with tap shift, no? Why not 1LE?
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
No auto/tap shift with the 1LE package? I'd like to have the 1LE handling with tap shift... ZL1's come with tap shift, no? Why not 1LE?
Because 1le only comes in a manual.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #49
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
Because 1le only comes in a manual.
Yea but I wanna know why if the ZL1 can come with auto why not a 1LE? Well the reason is "if" I jump into a brand new V8 I'd like the 1LE package (for the handling and rims) but I like using the tap shift. Yea I'm lazy when it comes to manual shifting anymore, lol... Manual shifting is fun to bang gears for a little while or for just a weekend play toy but then the novelty wears off on a daily driver and it becomes tiresome...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #50
ackeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
Yea but I wanna know why if the ZL1 can come with auto why not a 1LE? Well the reason is "if" I jump into a brand new V8 I'd like the 1LE package (for the handling and rims) but I like using the tap shift. Yea I'm lazy when it comes to manual shifting anymore, lol... Manual shifting is fun to bang gears for a little while or for just a weekend play toy but then the novelty wears off on a daily driver and it becomes tiresome...
1le was focused to be used at the track. Zl1 while its good at the track wasn't the only focus. Who knows. Maybe they will offer the 1le in the auto some day.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #51
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Just a bit of perspective here from an autox and occasional track day veteran.
Tires and wheels make all the difference in the world. No other mod on a car makes as much impact as tires and wheels in that order.
If I were serious about tracking a car I'd have a set of Hoosiers on it. Hoosiers on a stock SS would walk a stock 1LE on a road course. Just my opinion but if I've seen 6 second improvements on an autox course with hoosiers vs street tires it would (and has been my experience) that the gains would be much greater on a road course.
That said, I'd love to have a 1LE but am happy with my 13SS. I may look into a 14 or 15 1LE at some point but not yet.
Lastly, there were some suspension updates on the SS from 10' to 13 also. My 13' feels much better than my 11' did. It also gets the same EPS as the 1LE and all the 13' model LS3 have been, according to reports on this forum, putting down a bit more power in stock form than years past. Just food for thought.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #52
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Just a bit of perspective here from an autox and occasional track day veteran.
Tires and wheels make all the difference in the world. No other mod on a car makes as much impact as tires and wheels in that order.
If I were serious about tracking a car I'd have a set of Hoosiers on it. Hoosiers on a stock SS would walk a stock 1LE on a road course. Just my opinion but if I've seen 6 second improvements on an autox course with hoosiers vs street tires it would (and has been my experience) that the gains would be much greater on a road course.
That said, I'd love to have a 1LE but am happy with my 13SS. I may look into a 14 or 15 1LE at some point but not yet.
Lastly, there were some suspension updates on the SS from 10' to 13 also. My 13' feels much better than my 11' did. It also gets the same EPS as the 1LE and all the 13' model LS3 have been, according to reports on this forum, putting down a bit more power in stock form than years past. Just food for thought.
^Good input.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
I wonder how the 1LE would perform with Hoosier tires. Professional racer Randy Probst would probalbly say "I would race this Camaro right now, frankly." Oh, wait, he already said that about the 1LE with stock tires.

Woot. Whatever that means.

OK, I looked it up. Woot means "Want One Of Those".

I Woot.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #54
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Agreed, and since we are going after Ford here, it beat the Boss 302 Laguna Seca at the Streets of Willow track by 3 seconds, and that car cost $12K more!
If you are talking about the Motor Trend test, it was a Mustang GT Track Pack, not a Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #55
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I think one of the main reasons the 1LE is M6 only has to do with the different gearing in the transmission itself. It's not so easy to do specific gearing with an A6.

That being said the gearing in the 1LE makes a DRAMATIC improvement in the feel/behavior of the SS. The suspension is markedly better. All in all the 1LE package was the best option choice on my 2013 2SS/RS 1LE with Nav and NPP.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #56
ackeight

And it's amazingly only $3500. You will spend more on just buying the wheels. Gm knocked that package out of the ballpark.